Need to move dipstick HELP!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Rat

Ok.... Bought a 1980 302 to replace the Tired Flatty In my 51 Ford Moredoor.. Problem I'm running into is that I had to change the oil pan and oil pick-up to a front sump instead of the rear sump which is what the motor has because the 51 has a backwards steering gear with the steering control behind the cross member.. Ok no biggie.. BUT.. Now the Dipstick is in the shallow end of the pan.. Ooops.. anybody ever drill a new mounting hole??
And Seal off the original?? [S

I had a 400 in my 77 f150 it had 2 dipsticks...
The truck pan with the rear sump had the dipstick mounted to the pan and the front timing cover had the car dipstick because the grocery getter the 400 came out of (probably a 70's lincoln or ltd) was originally a front sump.
I'd guess that the 302 timing cover for a front sump car might cave a dipstick hole in it?

You could probably adapt the dipstick tube from any oilpan to yours with a little brazing or gas welding with a coat hangar....but not on the car...they tend to explode when you try that

I have moved a dipstick before, not a big deal, just make sure you don't hit anything inside. Find another pan, and cut out around the dipstick, cut a hole in the right place on the new pan, and weld the dipstick tube from the junk pan into the new pan. With the pan off, add the correct amount of fluid, (water), to the pan, and mark the new dipstick at that level.

Most Fords had the front sump pan, except for ones like Mustangs and some others. All you need is a timing cover off of a front sump car. If you hit the junk yards you will find one, but you need to get the model of the car because Ford made like 10 different 302 water pumps and you will need to get the right one. As long as you have the year and model you will be able to find one on the shelf when you need another water pump.

Get the dipstick and pulleys too because those might be different also.
Don

you should be able to find a small plug (freeze or oil) to plug off the old dip stick hole.

Most Fords had the front sump pan, except for ones like Mustangs and some others. All you need is a timing cover off of a front sump car. If you hit the junk yards you will find one, but you need to get the model of the car because Ford made like 10 different 302 water pumps and you will need to get the right one. As long as you have the year and model you will be able to find one on the shelf when you need another water pump.

Get the dipstick and pulleys too because those might be different also.
Don

Thats what I ended up doing.. Bought a timing cover with the dipstick hole built in along with a new chrome dipstick.. Even came with a plug for my old hole in the block!! wooohooo...[cl

Here's what I did on a 14 bolt rear axle I couldn't get the fill plug loose on...

I drilled a hole in the cover at the oil level to fill it through then plugged it with a rubber vacuum nipple cap turned to stuff into the hole

so just drill a 1/4 inch hole at the oil level line and fill it till it leaks out like a holly then stab a vacuum nipple cap in the hole bout halfway in

Latest posts

Back