NEEDED: Large Hoops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratty 46

In search of......large steel wheel mnfctr.

I'm not a fan of billett wheels.....on my ratty 46 but love the new technology of todays tyres.....with that said I plan on running as big a wheel/tyre combo I can afford.

My only drawback as of today is the limited supply of steel wheels thaty are availible.

I need a 20" X 10 or 11" & an 18" 8-8.5"

Anyone know of a wheel maker that's doing these???

Ratty 46

ratty, i am assuminig that you want to modify a set of stock rims to fit a wider tire. there is a guy here locally in my home town that will put the center of just about any tyhpe of steel rim into the center of a new steel wheel. short of that there is always Stockton Wheel Co.

Did that help?

Pablo

Lots of bad poopoo on Stockton wheel. You might want to go with Wheel Vintiques or someone else. I think most of them can mostly just go wider with your old centers though, not bigger diameter.
If you are running the 5 on 5.5 you could get some old wheels and have them widened.

Thanks guys. I've found alot out sofar........

I may be stuck utilizing a smaller tire........due to wheel limitations (in steel).

If I conceed on the steel - sky is the limit on "billet" aluminum.

Ratty 46

I don't know if it is something in the water or what, but it seems every wheel company out there has good days and terrible days. No matter which one you pick you can find some people who think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and others who think they should be tarred and feathered.

The two names mentioned, Stockton and Rally America are two good examples. I have dealt with Stockton years ago for the back wheels for my '27 and they were quick and done perfectly, yet there is lots of bad reports of slow shipping and non-existant customer service. Rally America is another one. Tons of HAMB guys love them and even my Son was elated after talking to the Dad on the phone because of the help he gave him. But when we placed an order they not only didn't ever ship them, they finally (after 6 weeks) sheepishly admitted they couldn't make them at all. Some people are saying it is because they have been moving, but that was in December and I am starting to see other people saying they won't answer the phone now.

I have dealt with Wheel Vintiques also and Pat Paulsen, both have also run hot and cold. It's a shame, but I really don't know of any wheel company out there who is consistently good and who keeps their promised shipping dates. We were hoping Rally America would be different, but for us at least, they were just as bad as the others.

Don

In the size wheels you are looking for are on full size trucks.Such as Dodge,Chevy and Ford.I know that Dodge has them.You want to look for the spares.They are full sized Steel wheels.You are just going to have to have them widened.Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I've found alot out sofar........

I may be stuck utilizing a smaller tire........due to wheel limitations (in steel).

If I conceed on the steel - sky is the limit on "billet" aluminum.

Ratty 46
Ratty 46,

"Billet"?!
It's just that it's... so... well... "Billet".

I really like the products at rally america though.

Best of luck,
-Mike-

In the size wheels you are looking for are on full size trucks.Such as Dodge,Chevy and Ford.I know that Dodge has them.You want to look for the spares.They are full sized Steel wheels.You are just going to have to have them widened.Hope this helps.

I concur with '35, the trucks that came from the factory with
billet 20's had 20 inch steel spares.Can't remember the name
of the builder that put these on the back of his rat truck.
I am sure Gastrick knows and has the pix.

I concur with '35, the trucks that came from the factory with
billet 20's had 20 inch steel spares.Can't remember the name
of the builder that put these on the back of his rat truck.
I am sure Gastrick knows and has the pix.

That was Gasser T, and it was a Dodge spare rim.

Maybe you can get them over the counter from Dodge. Today I was eyeing some 8 hole 20s on the manurespreader thinking hmmm..And a couple days ago I was eyeing the really wide 15" rims on a burned up round baler out in the field thinking I could just weld my own centerts in.
I also knew of some wheels widened locally. They were 16 inch wires but you could do the same with anything. He had them cut apart on a lathe and then had the local tank place roll the new center strip to the exact diameter.

I have built alot of wheels but it has always been for off road. Even then no problems at high speeds. Welding in new centers is pretty easy, and adding strips to widen them is not too difficult either.

WOW.........fantastic wheel info.......I'll head to the dealer later in the week.

Was looking for big ford pattern. But.........haven't gotton rear fab'd yet so axles are/can be changed to suit my needs.

Or......I could got the billits & use some moon style discs to cover them....just a thought.

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back