New 35 or 36? project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440Clark

Not ready to start a build thread, but wanted to post a pic of my future project. Picked this up from a really cool dude in Ypsilanti, MI by the name of Seth. He hooked me up with this 1935 or 1936 Ford Pick-up cab. Thanks Seth if your out there. By the way, somebody please tell me how you tell them apart and which I have.
This will be my first build of this sort and I'm open to sugestions for front and rear suspension set ups. I will be building my own frame for sure. I think I 'd like to go with a wishbone front and maybe a three link ladder bar rear. I want to be able to drive this on the street comfortably, but be able to hook hard at the dragstrip as well.
I haven't even settled on a drivetrain yet. Would prefer a 440, 383 or even 400, but that makes overdrive an expensive proposition. Small block chevy is not out of question with a 700R4. Default mode would be 302 Ford with AOD.
Also considering a 4.6 5 spd. and 8.8 rear. Wish I could do a Flathead, but out of my price range.
This also came wih a hood for a '40 or '41 Ford and a rough grille for the same, if anyone needs it, I don't intend to use it. Make me an offer.
What do you guys think???

Attachments

• truck 002.jpg
    truck 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 58
  • truck 004.jpg
    truck 004.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 32
  • truck 009.jpg
    truck 009.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 31
  • truck 018.jpg
    truck 018.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 52
can't help ya on the year model, but it looks like a really good place to start a build......

and "default mode" looks good to me-esp. since it showed up on picture day:D;)[cl

will be looking for a build thread...[P

I do not know of any difference between the 35 and 36 cabs. The only differences that I know of was the grille and the hood sides.

Nice starter project , I think you should go with none of the above. my pick would be a big block chevy . there is no substitute for cubic inches , the parts are readily available and they are not super expensive . nothing says WOW like 7" wide valve covers if you don't have HEMI money , so my choice is BBC . good luck on your build , please keep us posted !!

From your pics I would say it is a '35. The reason is the area at the bottom of the windshield post is slightly different between the two, your, '35 is more defined where it meets the body, the '36 flowed into the body with less of a hard edge if that makes any sense to you. Nice looking cab, good luck and keep posting!

Welcome! [cl

Nice lookin' cab you've got there. I think that 5.0 would be quite happy in front of it!;)

My uncle had a '36 back when I was in my mid-teens. Corvette 350, TH350, Pontiac Parisienne diff, stock front axle with stock hydraulic brakes-didn't even have a split wishbone!:p

Keep us posted, we LOVE pics![P

Regards,
Shea:)

Congrats on the project. That cab is a 1935 for the reason Michaels stated (pronounced body line below windshield) and a few other minor differences.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am so glad I found this site, I really don't know many people that are into this stuff besides myself, and the information I have learned in the short time I've been a member is incredible and humbling. Most people I know think I'm insane when I show them the truck and explain what I want to do! If anyone reading this knows of any clubs in Michigan, please let me know.

Latest posts

Back