New guy, '56 Plymouth Suburban Wagon

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Cool site! Just picked up this '56 Plymouth in Alabama and drove it back home to NY. Took about 20 hours straight through, 1000 miles. The car has a 5.3L LS1 (the light truck variant), 700R4, and a Ford 8.8 rear end. It's a Mutt.

IMG_1354-_zps9ac0ea7c.jpg

1016096_10100244141415579_1186007482_n_zps6bc033d6.jpg

7303_10100243984644749_516606590_n_zpsa9d58c8a.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsb40b202e.jpg

Welcome to RRR! Very cool ride.

IMO, ditch the wheels for something else. I'm not against the big rims, but the all black just doesn't work with the light color car. Maybe if the outer rim and/or the center caps were chrome...

What's the suspension? If it's stock with low profiles, that had to ride a little rough.

What's your plan?

Hello

Welcome to RRR...................The older it is the better it is and that's just all there is to it !!! :cool: I'm sure you enjoyed the drive home..[cl

Thanks guys!

I'm not a huge fan of the wheels either, haven't decided what to put in their place yet though. Maybe some large steelies and old style rubber like the old cop cars:

police_car_at_kemah_zps94904b96.jpg

I was also thinking about certain rally style wheels or racing style steelies, might have to stick the car in photoshop and try out a few wheel styles.

Rear suspension is Jeep wrangler front leafs, Lincoln shocks. Front suspension is late model suburban springs and monroe shocks. The ride is ok, the front is floaty over bigger bumps. The rear is fine.

The plan is to fix some smaller mechanical issues with the car, and drive it. Over time I'll try to get the suspension sorted out a bit better, and that's about it.

Hi Kush and welcome to RRR. I agree with the guys that the new wave wheels don't go with the car that well. The only thing that popped into my head is a possible partial solution; glue on those fake white walls that we used to get that fit in between the tire bead and the rim. If you glued the circumference of the white wall on to the rim, you'd be half done, with just the ID to dream up a fix for. Anyhow, I see why you went 'the extra mile' to get that car home; good choice.

Latest posts

Back