New guy from Canada EH!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightspeed Mike

Hi All

Been lurking a while and just thought I would introduce my self. My name is Mike. I'm 41 and live in Belleville Ont Canada. I'm a licensed mechanic and have been wrenching for 23 years. I also own a CNC plasma cutting and custom fabrication shop called Lightspeed Metal Design. So after spending way to many years trying to build something shiny I gave up and decided to do something more fun instead and build a rat rod. I found a 46 Mercury pick up cab and doors a year ago and went from there.
I know threads in this forum aren't nothing with out pictures so I'll show you what I started with and where I am now.
I should start a build thread for this but my excuse is that If I'm here typing my rat rod isn't being worked on. Since I'd rather weld than type I usually don't say much.

Lightspeed Mike

Attachments

• cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 35
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 60
Hi Mike, welcome to the site! :)

CNC plasma, eh? I bet that's a really awesome and handy tool when it comes to fabricating car parts.

Welcome Mike! You don't really need to say much here, just send pics![cl...CR....Good looking truck too!

Thanks for the welcome and compliments on the my project. 3 cheers to the moderators for keeping this such a family friendly site, I guess that's why I like lurking here.
Yes my CNC plasma cutter sure does come in handy. My truck would not have been built with out it I'm sure (at least cost a lot more to build or taken alot longer).
I will try to send in more pics when I get a chance.

Lightspeed Mike

wow! that is a good looking rat ya got there! [dr

also good to see another member who's appreciates the "family friendly" status of the RRR! [cl

Welcome aboard, Mike! I live "just" down the highway from you, in Oshawa.

Neat little truck you've got there, thanks for sharing the pics.[P

BTW, do you know where a fellow could find info on the web with regards to Ontario's laws about building "homebuilt vehicles?" I notice you have no fenders...

Hope you continue to enjoy it here, there's some real friendly folks around this place.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Ontario home built vehicles

I would look up the highway traffic act Shea. I know according to the letter of the law you must have a fender or mud guard to reduce road splash. After talking to a couple of people this summer with fenderless cars they said they haven't had a problem with the law yet. But they drive responsibly and were not driving in the rain.
As for licensing them you have to first build it, then get it certified. Try to find a friendly mechanic for this. Keep all your receipts. Then you get to do the paper trail. I haven't done this yet but it's what I have learned so far.

Lightspeed Mike

Welcome to RRR, Mike. Cool looking Merc you have. They are different & that is good.[cl[cl

fender laws

Welcome aboard, Mike! I live "just" down the highway from you, in Oshawa.

Neat little truck you've got there, thanks for sharing the pics.[P

BTW, do you know where a fellow could find info on the web with regards to Ontario's laws about building "homebuilt vehicles?" I notice you have no fenders...

Hope you continue to enjoy it here, there's some real friendly folks around this place.:cool:

Regards,
your talkin about fender laws . there was a thread on crr about a month ago titled fender laws by province. this is for the canuk guys

I would look up the highway traffic act Shea. I know according to the letter of the law you must have a fender or mud guard to reduce road splash. After talking to a couple of people this summer with fenderless cars they said they haven't had a problem with the law yet. But they drive responsibly and were not driving in the rain.
As for licensing them you have to first build it, then get it certified. Try to find a friendly mechanic for this. Keep all your receipts. Then you get to do the paper trail. I haven't done this yet but it's what I have learned so far.

Lightspeed Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the tip...As you can see by my sig, I serve as my own friendly mechanic.:D

Truck looks good, I always enjoy seeing Canadian Tin, dunno if our friends south of the 49th ever got Merc trucks...:confused:

Checked out your company website, you do some fantastic work! Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards,

Latest posts

Back