New metal customs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would not buy one of those bodies at all, they dont look good at all. they are mostly flat panels so why not make it yourself? but i am really picky and more of a traditionalist

I will say, compared to a same priced, rusted out hulk of a sedan body that needs a ton of work to get to that point, probably not the worst buy ever.

They are missing a lot of the curves and character lines the original old cars had they are very flat looking. I guess they are ok looking but I don't think buy one for that price. I'd have to put some time into customizing those so they look better and not so much like box with windows.

I would say there is probably a market for those bodys with guys that dont have the skill and tools to build or fix old original stuff or want to pay the big bucks for the aftermarket bodys. If you just want to bolt a basic hotrod together for cheap,might be OK.

a friend of mine bought a truck body from him. they are flat but it was real straight not wavy had nice floor pans top already chopped. it gets a lot of attention at the shows.

I have not seen or used these bodies. How ever we have built frames and axles for people who do have those bodies. They like them, said the quality was good and everything fit fine. They just are not exact copies of a production car or truck. But hey the time we get done choppin on Henry's stuff it does not look like a production body anymore, so I would say go for it.

For the most part they are pretty flat.

I would say the best one is the roadster pickup.

$1350 for the body and bed, $400 for the frame, $1750 total.

Should think that isn't a terrible price considering something of a similar nature made by Henry would be at least that. Then all the cutting, welding, frame making, etc.

You could probably clean it up a bit and have a pretty cool ride.

I just checked the web site out. Loved the slide show. 300 bux for a truck bed? I need a bed. I wonder what shipping would cost. Just showed my wife and she got excited also. 2011, the year of the build![cl

I have seen them in person, and quite frankly they are a RIPOFF for what they are charging. NO skill, thought or design put into them at all. If a grade schooler built it I would give him a pat on the back, but other than that they are ridiculously overpriced.

Anyone considering one of these would be much better off to invest in a decent welder and some sheet metal. They are nothing that an absolute novice couldn't build at home after a little practice. No compound curves or complicated panels at all. Even the door hinges are common hardware store items.

Of course this is my humble :)rolleyes:) opinion, but I have seen quite a few homemade bodies over the years and these are some of the worst, especially to be marketed for sale to the public. I would definitely say buyer beware...

Having built a steel body from scratch for a customer ( see thread below ) and the price this guy is asking I can say with confidence there isn't much effort going into these bodies. I would think you would have to put a lot of your own work into them to make them really servicable. Is it worth it? Not for me anyway. As said before, these are something anyone could accomplish on there own.

Well, here's the deal for me. I need a box. I may have to modify the box to fit around the parallel springs. I want stock height. It looks like I may have to cut a portion off the bottom. I have no idea where my bed height will be. I want a closed tailgate. Also, I don't have a welder, but I have a set of torches that I can make talk to ya. This seems like the perfect deal for me.

Well, here's the deal for me. I need a box. I may have to modify the box to fit around the parallel springs. I want stock height. It looks like I may have to cut a portion off the bottom. I have no idea where my bed height will be. I want a closed tailgate. Also, I don't have a welder, but I have a set of torches that I can make talk to ya. This seems like the perfect deal for me.

The box is by far the better of any of these offerings. At least it is supposed to be square. [ddev Probably not too hateful of a deal if you have no fab skills. However, I would reccomend checking some local yards. If you just need a box with a tailgate then any stepside bed up to the 80's will suit your needs, especially since you will be modifying it anyways. If you can make those torches talk then you can weld with them too, so shrinking a box to suit your needs shouldn't be a problem...

Latest posts

Back