New shop dog - need help with a name and some advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenzie

Hey guys...I need some advice...
We decided to get another dog last week and went to pick him up yesterday evening. He was born on Dec 1st and is already a pretty big guy. His feet are HUGE so I'm sure he's still got some growing to do.
Dogs_5-7-09009.jpg

The owner told us that his mom is a Rottie mix (she was big and tan) and the dad is a Mastiff/Boxer mix. We didn't get to see him, but she said our boy looks the most like his dad.
Anyone have any advice on these breeds?

Here's another pic...his left ear is missing the tip. The owner didn't say why, but I think it's cute...adds character...lol
Dogs_5-7-09017.jpg

Also, this is the first boy dog we've had and we're going to get him fixed asap, but I'm wondering if we'll still have problems with him marking in the house? Any other advice on male dogs?

And the big question...any name suggestions? We're stumped.
Here's a vid I did last night after we got home. It shows his character pretty well...calm, inquisitive, and sweet. He'll come up to you and rub on your leg almost like a cat...I've seen a few mastiffs do this and I think it's really sweet...lol
(click to play)

BTW, I'm calling him "bubby" in the vid but I don't really like that for a name. It's what I call our male cat all the time too so every time I say it the cat comes running...lol

Our other dog's names are Roxy (she's in the vid too) and Ella Bella (Chihuahua) and our cat's name is Tigger.
I'd kinda like to have a truck related sorta name, but that's not really necessary.

Truck related? You could call him Mack, or Silverado if you prefer something more sophisticated. I like Mack. I also like Muncie.....like the transmission.

Uh... I knew a guy that got part of an ear bit off in a bar fight .... you could call him Steve...???

Rusty, O'l Tin, COE, Flattie, Chops, Driver, Ratty ...Tripper......Bonehead....:D

My neighbors had 2 Mastiffs in a very small house - very big, but calm and nice trainable dogs. Didn't have much of a yard left, but what was there was well fertilized!

Good looking dog. Now if he gets as bid as a mastif and continues to rub up against you it might feel like a bull dozer gently pushing you across the room. Why not call him "Dozer".

I'd call him Evander after the fighter that got his ear bit off by Mikey Tyson! :eek:

Beercan

I named my chocolate lab Tyson, after he pierced the breeders ear with his puppy teeth. He was the runt of the litter, brown, fought pretty well for his dinner, and an ear biter.....perfect name.

Name him "Hauling" whatelse do you do with a truck?

I named my dog "spoke" had to name it after a part on bike, just wouldn't be right naming her daisy, maggie, or any other siisyfied name. But the wife won out at I have to walk our 75# bulldog around with a Pink collar,...yuck I don't know if no has messed with me because of my size walking a dog with a pink collar or they are affraid of the dog. ( bulldogs are very agressive looking but they are big sissies.)

i like lugnut it seems to be what i can everyone or everything any way gadget, wingnut or hemi also sound kool. goddluck with ur puppy!:D dp1

Gearhead, lugnut, shifter, torque, gauge, <----- I like gauge best! The guy I bought my 54 Ford bed from was named Gauge. Spelled like this too!

Truck related? You could call him Mack, or Silverado if you prefer something more sophisticated. I like Mack. I also like Muncie.....like the transmission.

I thought about Mack and it suits him, but my real name is McKenzie and a few of our friends call me Mack...so my hubby vetoed that one. I like Muncie but it makes me think of a little dog...like a cocky little Chihuahua...LOL

My neighbors had 2 Mastiffs in a very small house - very big, but calm and nice trainable dogs. Didn't have much of a yard left, but what was there was well fertilized!

LOL! Good thing we have a big yard! We don't have a huge house (good sized 3 bedroom) but the dogs definitely know their place in the house...otherwise I'm sure it would fell like THEIR house pretty quickly. So far, this guy is really calm (seems to have inherited more Mastiff behavior than Boxer) and VERY smart. He didn't even whimper when I gave him his final two puppy shots this evening...such a sweetie.

I always wanted a pet named "TURBO".......... Seems the wife always wins out on pet names.

A friend of ours had a yellow lab named Greddy once...I thought that was pretty neat but I don't know if he's spunky enough for the name...lol

Gearhead, lugnut, shifter, torque, gauge, <----- I like gauge best! The guy I bought my 54 Ford bed from was named Gauge. Spelled like this too!

Right now, it's between Gauge and Diesel. We both like Diesel but I REALLY like Gauge. I also liked Axel, but he said no :( I told him I would decide once and for all in the morning so I'll let you guys know
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Latest posts

Back