Newb from IL by way of ND

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrozahn

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am new to this forum, but there appears to be a lot of helpful info so I look forward participating. I own a 51 Ford F1 that is currently located at my parents home in ND. I am heading up there the last week of Aug with a trailer to finally drag her to IL so I can start working on her in my tiny garage. My dad purchased the truck when I was 10 or so and he always intend to restore it, but never got the time so now he has decided to pass it on to me in hopes I will do something great with it. It is a little rough, but I am up to the challenge. Added bonus is the original flathead that I intend to keep!

I am open to any advice or ideas anyone may have.

Here are a coupe pics.
_MG_4875-1.jpg

_MG_4872-1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. You have what is my opinion, a classic. I love those old fords. And that one was was a choice of alot of hotrodders before us.

Welcome!!!

Nitro,
Welcome to the forum & we lover those old Ford PU's. My Dad had one we use to go deer huntin' in so I've many an hour cramped up in the cab of one. Didn't have A/C but a hell of a heater! Nice truck, make u're self @ home & feel free to join rat in!!!

BoB

Welcome to RRR, nitrozahn. Tho not a Ford guy, I've always liked the 51 F1. Looks as tho you could fire her up & cruise. Oh, fix that l/ headlight first tho. :D What are your plans for it?

Hey NitroZahn,

What part of Illinois are you in? I just moved to Champaign a few months ago. I have a 57 Buick that I drive a lot. My dad is working on a 49 Ford P/U project and I have a 47 Ford P/U project that I just started.

Shane

Thanks for all the replies

I have been kicking several plans around. Definately want to put it on bags so It can go as low as possible. Like I said before keeping the flathead. Probably tweak some things on it to get some more power. Go with the dual carb setup and some new heads. Want to run straight exhaust with no mufflers. Probably go with a t-5 tranny. Thinking of keeping the stock rearend, but not sure about gearing would like to be able to take her on the interstate and not get runover. Haven't decided on a paint, but leaning towards a flat pearl green. Like I said if anyone has any ideas or input about what I have planned so far let me know. I am always lookign for new creative ideas.

Oh ya I'm from Waukegan, IL. About 35 miles N of Chicago.

I'll get some better pics when I load her on the trailer in Aug. and also when I get to Illinois so you all can see the little garage I have to work with :rolleyes:

Welcome to the RRR; You'll have a blast with that truck, I have a 50f1 that I've had for 3 years. I've had more fun with building it than any other I've had in the past. Good luck, keep us posted.:D

Latest posts

Back