next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks sam, the 52 was better than expected for all the poop i dug out of it ..and yeah that tan 65 was attacked by a tree-but was totally rotten before the attack...traded a carb and disc-brake set up for it, and was just gonna part it out when needed....6 cyl., 3spd, 9" rear...solid doors that's about all that's good on it

can't wait to finish welding up that frame and then slicing the back to match!

update....

got a little more done on the 52 last week....and came in with another project for a daily driver update..

nextproject2006.jpg

a little welding.....

nextproject2007.jpg

ALOT of grinding!!!!:D

nextproject2008.jpg

1st mock-up ...low down, and low tech....;)

Project52001.jpg

tires mounted on some original type 16" wheels -that's the plan for the back

Project52011.jpg

these destined for the front...i like the old inverted dimple style on these....

Project52005.jpg

can't decide whether to put this trans am 403 auto in it,(already got it) or my original plan of the ford 240/300 6 cyl.(have the motor but not sure if want the trouble of the linkage for the 3 spd&clutch stuff) ..or the recently found 454/th400

nextproject2008.jpg

1st mock-up ...low down, and low tech....;)

Hey Preacher, the drivers side frame rail looks (and it may just be the picture or my eyes), but it looks as if the drivers side frame rail has more of an angle going towards the center than the passenger side does. But like i said may be the picture, but just wanted to give ya a heads up if you havent noticed it yet.

hey there arkie! i noticed that in the pic last nite when i posted it...
don't know what the deal is, it measures out square -but i saw that too- i'm gonna try to get to the shop today and look it over real close-hopin its just the angle of the picture.....
got to get some more done to it..before i get depressed and quit!!:eek:

Chigger already has issues w/ me spending more time on the 52!!

nextproject2010.jpg

hey there arkie! i noticed that in the pic last nite when i posted it...
don't know what the deal is, it measures out square -but i saw that too- i'm gonna try to get to the shop today and look it over real close-hopin its just the angle of the picture.....
got to get some more done to it..before i get depressed and quit!!:eek:

Chigger already has issues w/ me spending more time on the 52!!

nextproject2010.jpg

I sure do like this truck!

thanks man, that's only 9 short years of project there!!:eek:
still want to put new glass in it and a tuck-n-roll seat cover, then drive the heaven out of it!!;)

went to the shop and checked out my frame situation(arkansawer had me worried)

nextproject3001.jpg

nextproject3002.jpg

nextproject3003.jpg

nextproject3004.jpg

it looks better in reality than in the original pic...the cardboard template shows same both sides...now i gotta get my axle mounted...and my frame boxed...and the rear "Z'ed" and the....

Didnt mean to worry ya preacher, it just looked off really really bad in the picture. Glad that it was just the picture and not actually off.

You dont think that the end of the rail could be bent or warped do ya?

update....

well its been a hectic time around the preacher's house, with a sick family to help take care of, a truck to rebuild for myself, and all of the regular "church work" to deal with i haven't got alot done on the 52 but i have got the front brackets all figured out and mocked/tacked so here's the pics......

bought a piece of 2x3x3/16 for the front crossmember...welded it in

01.jpg

mediocre with the welder...:eek:

06.jpg

experienced with a grinder :rolleyes:

02.jpg

more....

here's the brackets so far....a conglomeration using ideas from everyone on here!! (i didn't see any that were patented?!!)

a big 3/8" angle for the bolt on part...

03.jpg

the verticle plate for the radius rod attachment and spring-shackle mounts

08.jpg

this is what they look like in the vise for lining up and tacking (better get it square b/c i KNOW that arkansawer is watching!! lol)
nextproject3009-1.jpg

nextproject3011-1.jpg

here it is tacked and setting back on the axle...
nextproject3008-1.jpg

well thats all of the progress so far-maybe i'll get my brackets all welded up in a few days and get it "rollin,"

just because...

here's a different type of project that i tied together while all else was going on....

nextproject2002.jpg

nextproject2005.jpg

not near as much fun as rat-rodding, but by building it from a wreck i THINK i can afford it, and my kids can now stretch out their legs w/all the room of that 4 dr!!

Preacher, hope the family is doing good and all is well in that department.

What year is the new chevy?

Oh and i think you may be 1/32 of a mm off on your angles, may want to recheck. :D

Last edited:
better re-check...its only 1/64th off, and that is within my tolerance level!!:D

or as some might say...close enuf for who its for!!!!:eek:

btw, the 454 deal fell thru, as did selling the trans am motor, so i guess its back to using the 403 in this one...:rolleyes: could be worse i guess, but really wanted those fat bbc valve covers hangin out in the open!

the chevy is a 2004- got it fairly reasonable b/c salvage title, and fairly high milage for yr model (90k) but it wasn't hurt too bad...reused the original headlamps and parklamps, and there was still coolant in the radiator!

Last edited:
Not bad on the 04. How close to being done and going down the road?

My project starts in 2 weeks when i bring it home :D

started driving the 04 friday....not done yet (still need driverside airbag) but ratrodders don't ever finish one ...do they?:eek::D

i am curious..whadya git????????????????? that model A??????????
i was really hopin to interest you in a slightly ratted out 52 ford truck..:D:D

Actually the project i have isnt a rat. '79 Bronco, 351M C6, going to get a 6 inch lift and 38s, and rhino lined inside and out. If you go up to mtn home much, you have probably seen my old bronco.

And believe me, id love to have the 52, just probably cant afford the 52. I got the Bronco for 250, and the guy says the only thing wrong is a rear main seal .... we shall see. :rolleyes:

a quick update

well its always busy....but if ya let work get in the way of building a rod....ya won't ever get a rod built!! so i figured i'd whittle on some more of the 52 frame -get the altitude of the back down a little...

first a shot of the front mocked up...

project52031.jpg

project52030.jpg

this is my memorial day afternoon activity !!

project52032.jpg

project52033.jpg

with a little "coaching" from the Old man i was convinced that i could weld it myself.....well i'll prob. be the only one who would ride in it anyway...

project52034.jpg

(for those sharp eyed observers-i might mention that not all of the welding/and gussets are complete at photo time)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back