next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one more - outside

right before goin out...nice and low.....low-tech that is!!!!!!!

project52035.jpg

i couldn't resist - so i "throwed" the bed at it this afternoon while some putty was dryin on another job....

project52037.jpg

project52038.jpg

project52039.jpg

well i knew i was taking out 7" of rear wheel length..due to "overlap" of frame "z" (about 10" btw) so i figure it'll take about 14" of bed removal to get proportions right...we'll look more before the sawzall attacks it...and the rear bumper that was welded is gonna have to be removed to get the bed down in the back like it needs...

Just my 2cents but I believe I would have Z'd the back just to shorten the wheelbase a bit. Either way I would gusset those kickups. Gonna be a good looking truck.

thanks for the comment there, rainman.....
since that last "photoshoot" i pulled it back in the shop and cut 18" out of the bed,which did put the bed in proper proportion, but the rear end did not have good balance...:(..so yesterday i got a chance to roll it back in and took another 4" out of the wheelbase at the back-now its balanced better....also cut out some gussets but ran out of welder gas just after getting started welding in the 1st one..anyway i didn't have the camera on me so no pics yet.....maybe by sat. nite i'll have 'em up

still don't know what's gonna power this beast...:rolleyes:

this is what the 52 looked like after bobbing the bed.....

tractorshow005.jpg

tractorshow008.jpg

tractorshow007.jpg

the only thing was i didn't like the proportions of the bed/rear wheel...
tractorshow009.jpg

tractorshow006.jpg

so... i whittled out another 4" of frame and tied it back together --that balanced the bed better.....more pics to come ............

actually i didn't like those pics-that's why i took 4" more out of the rear frame - to pull the tires up closer to the middle of the bed......but i lost my pics of that, so i'll have to go take more.....its always something around here:rolleyes:

"all that's left is finishin' up!"

been busy, and been w/o internet so i've got to get some updates...
403 mounted in framerails...bed finished, tailgate being fit to bed, frame gussets in place on rear "z" got to make trans crossmember, and planning on swinging a brake pedal/firewall mounted mastercyl.
pics up maybe monday?!:rolleyes:

looking very ratty i might add....

thanks for the comment there, rainman.....
since that last "photoshoot" i pulled it back in the shop and cut 18" out of the bed,which did put the bed in proper proportion, but the rear end did not have good balance...:(..so yesterday i got a chance to roll it back in and took another 4" out of the wheelbase at the back-now its balanced better....also cut out some gussets but ran out of welder gas just after getting started welding in the 1st one..anyway i didn't have the camera on me so no pics yet.....maybe by sat. nite i'll have 'em up

still don't know what's gonna power this beast...:rolleyes:

i was gonna ask if you were gonna cut the bed down, but your way ahead of me. are you gonna paint the truck?? its gonna be a cool build..jeff:cool:

this is what the 52 looked like after bobbing the bed.....

tractorshow005.jpg

tractorshow008.jpg

tractorshow007.jpg

the only thing was i didn't like the proportions of the bed/rear wheel...
tractorshow009.jpg

tractorshow006.jpg

so... i whittled out another 4" of frame and tied it back together --that balanced the bed better.....more pics to come ............

wish my cab was in that good of shape, i have to weld in metal to weld metal to!!

thanks guys! i am proud of the cab-the cab is fairly solid except front floor pans.....
i had to whack some of it out to clear a drive shaft anyways..;)

i plan on painting the frame/undercarriage, and interior, but leaving the exterior just like it is-bullet hole and all!!!

yay! i can finally show progress pics!!! my wife and i finally broke down and replaced the printer so now i can upload my pics to show the work as of now....haven't worked on it in a week or two....

i moved the rear forward 4" more to balance it all better....

003-1.jpg

also finished the frame gussets and built a frame for the truck bed

005-1.jpg

had to cut down the tailgate--all i can figure is a 3/4 ton truck had a wider bed anyway 5" came out-2 1/2 per side...think i'll just weld the tailgate in- there's not much reason to make it function anyway as shallow as the bed is....

004-1.jpg

and i went ahead and put the 403 in it...just to "see" if it looked ok-i guess i'm convinced enuf...my brackets are now welded in,

001.jpg

002.jpg

now to finish boxing the frame rails...mounting the steering...mounting the hairpins....putting brakes on it....

spent ALL DAY working on this thing......more respect for those builds i read about where they "boxed the 'rails" that's what took me all day-cutting cardboard templates, cutting out the metal with my plasma cutter, trimming them and cleaning up the cuts w/ my 4 1/2" grinder (and like 6 grind wheels!)
pulling the motor/trans to fit it all, and welding it up....
also fabbed a trans crossmember before pulling the motor&welded it up while all is out of the way....
my welder quit about 3" short of being done.....gotta work on it tomorrow-and remember to take the camera!:rolleyes:

well all i like now is finishing up!!!!

4" off the rear of the frame makes those wheels fall in perfect proportion, HRP. You could probably clean up quite a bit of the smogpoo from that engine and make it look a ton better. A set of zoomies or puller pipes might look (and sound) pretty O.K. too! ;)

I'm liking what you've gotten done so far. Keep up the good work. :)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back