Not looking forward to Golf

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440Clark

So today my brother-in-law is taking me and my father-in-law out golfing for my birthday. First of all, being 44 the whole notion of birthday presents is a little silly to me but I don't want to sound crass so, whatever. The problem is golf. I can't even stay interested for 18 holes! I'd rather walk and play 9 than hit the ball get in the cart, hit the ball get in the cart, etc., etc. If they let you drive aggressively and smash into each other it would be at least bearable.

Anyway what do you guys think, if I'm going to waste a whole morning AND afternoon I'd rather go fishing. I don't even get a workout from golf, just a sore back! How do I tell these guys to stop taking me without hurting their feelings and ticking of my wife???

kinda sounds like they want to give you a present, but one that THEY can enjoy as much as, or more, than you will enjoy it.....
though it could be considered a little selfish on their part, i would go ahead and do it, to "keep the peace"- but during the 18 holes of misery find a way to casually mention that you don't hafta play 18 holes to enjoy it,-if the weather doesn't cooperate, tell them 9 holes is fine-or even mention that 9 is more enjoyable b/c of time constraints ....or maybe mention how much you'd like to go fishing sometime etc. ......

it doesn't sound like a problem with the inlaws, but a problem with golf, so remember this: if you have a good relationship with them (which is more than i can say for so many families) remember the backstretch isn't as bad as it could be..........

and happy b-day[cl[cl

I am with you. I would almost always rather be fishing. I think playing golf can be fun But no more than 9 holes. I am no good at it and hate being in the way of other people. Good lock and try to have a happy birthday. When it's thier birthday take them to a car show, or a dragstrip.

I guess golf is like any other hobby, some people like it and some don't. Personally, I have never been on a golf course and probably never will. It is something I wouldn't enjoy. I am so bad at it that even when I took a date to a miniature golf place they would always beat me.:eek:

Go and try to have as much fun as you can, after all, it is only one day you have to put up with it. I also hear they do some drinking after the first 9 holes, so that might perk things up a little. :D

Don

John Force said "When I want to have fun I go racing. When I need money I play golf."..hit em up for a loan, they'll quit asking you to play golf..:D

personally, i've never been a fan of golf--my inlaws took me once in pheonix, not my cup of tea......i don't even like the miniature version either

yesterday was so hot here, that even the local car show wasn't fun:(

You guys never fail to crack me up! Hotrod Preacher, your right I'll keep doin it to keep everyone happy. It wasn't so bad. On the plus side I saw 3 A-10 Warthogs flying by and an old B-29 bomber. AND around the 11th hole the drink cart came by and I got a shot of Jose' and a beer!

"Beer" it makes any occasion bearable.LOL

Speaking of beer, have any of you tried those new 1.5 gallon home draft kegs they sell at the grocery store and convenience stores? We bought one and they are terrific. You can pour yourself just as much as you want without wasting a full can or bottle, and the beer stays really fresh. We bought the Miller Lite, but I saw a Coors one the other day. If you haven't tried one take my advice, they are killer. :D We are going to put one in the shop fridge too, for those little celebration drinks. [dr

Sorry for the hijack.

Don

The only time I ever been on the golf coarse was with fishing poles.:D

Well, then there was that time with a Kawasaki KDX 2wheeler being chased by numerous greens keepers.........:rolleyes:[ddd

Growing up it was one of the best local fishing spots. Some ponds had better action than others. Would'nt ya know it that the best one was very close to the Club House too......[ddd

Hey Don, I'm going camping this weekend, one of those 1.5 gallon kegs you mentioned would be a great idea I think it would fit right in my large cooler. You are just full of great ideas and info and apparently not just about cars!

Hehe, I have to warn you though that those kegs make it VERY convenient to just pull the handle and pour yourself a cold one. I find myself going to the fridge more than I ever did before. :D:D

Oh, and if you hold your glass down further from the spigot you get a nice head on it too. :D I give it two thumbs up.

Don

i hate golf - a bunch of my old buddies love it - theyd always invite me and id go back in the days when i drank just bc it gave me a legit reason to drink before noon (not that i needed one) but i would always have to buy a ton of the cheap used balls at the shop --they would tee off *perfect every time* i would tee off my ball would disappear EVERY TIME -- then id hop in the cart ride to where their ball landed put mine in the area and play on... every shot was more or less like that :D - never been real good at sports - even sorta sports like golf

Latest posts

Back