O/T Help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I know this in the wrong section but I thought it would get more attention here.

My son bought a 79 Toyota truck at a great price. $60.00. Body is ok engine runs like a top automatic tranny works great. But heres where the head scratching begins.

There was some bad wiring so he got a complete harness from a truck at the local pull and save. Would not charge.

Replaced the wire harness, altenator, voltage regulator, charge lamp relay. Took altenator back to the parts store, put it on the tester, works fine. It also has a new battery.

He has checked and rechecked connections, grounds, fuses etc. (He is a KIA master tech so he has an idea of what he is doing), The thing will not charge. One of his fellow techs is an ex 15 year Toyota tech. He hasn't a clue either.

Any experiences or ideas? Any help would be great.

Buy a Chevy or better yet a Studebaker.....short of that, it sounds like you've covered everything. 79 shouldn't be computer hindered, so it should be all the basic wiring or components. Having had to do service work for photo processing equipment in the past, sometimes I had to ask stupid questions just to make sure the obvious wasn't over looked......pre qualifying that.....is the guage not showing a charge, or is it not charging, being checked by hanging a meter from the battery? Again, I'm sure you've gone the meter route, but having had the past experience, sometimes it's the simple things and I had to ask. Short of that, if your sure the replacement harness doesn't have any broken wires or blown fusible links (just thought of the links while I was typing) I can't suggest anything else

its the ignitor wire , to the alternater, getting power,, not sure on toyos, but the chevy has two witers going to a plug one is a ignitor wire the other is the charge light

Attachments

• 20080830130445_basic_ignition.jpg
    20080830130445_basic_ignition.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 13
Put a volt meter right on the positive stud on the alt and check it there to see if it is putting out.On a marginal battery it should be around 13.8 volts.Real good battery it will be 14.5 volts.

toyotas also had a fuse for the charging system under the hood. If you need, I may have some old wiring diagrams for toy trucks. Let me know.........

Will it charge if you put power to the field/exciter wire/post? If it will, you can start the search from there on back and see where the open is. Sniper

Latest posts

Back