Ok, the cat is out of the bag!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!!!

Hey... I told u guys they had 48 hours in every day out there in Florida!!!

Don & Sons,
That is some awesome work!!! I too can't wait to see what follows... thanks for posting!!!

BoB

I appreciate the nice words guys. Today he and I started hanging his rear suspension, took about 4 hours to build a jig to get his fourbar brackets straight to the frame :)confused:) Dan was being his usual picky self, so we had feeler gauges under the frame to make sure it wasn't off at all. :D

While he was making up some brackets I got to do a few things on my '39. I removed the bed and reinstalled the coilovers so that I can order my wheels and tires for the back. I also cut one of the aprons that is under each door off. On this Dodge they hang down real low there, so I trimmed about 4 inches of sheet metal off. Tomorrow I am going to do the other side.

So, nothing picture worthy, but we are still plugging away.

Don

Looks great Don! I couldn't believe that he was gonna cut it up after it was almost done, but wow. He made the right choice and it looks amazing. Make sure you keep us posted on the progress.

You know I'm stunned; To hear ya'll talk, and rattle on, a new comer like me would think that you were just a bunch of shade tree mechanics. Then you come up and show something like this, and It makes feel like like I'm in way over my head. All I have to say is that is AWESOME. I would never in a 100 years try to do something like that. I'm lucky to just do the small changes that I've done. With the Jag IRS and IFS. And try to chop my top.:eek: And worst of all try to put a TPI and all the wiring in mine.:eek: I hold up a Frosty in your honor. You ARE true builders. But I will get mine done. One way or another. Ya'll are a true inspiration, And it makes me want to finish mine even more.

This is a build that looked good before and as it evolves it still looks good, keep posting pics, it keeps me inspired to work on mine.

nice!!

I really love the work done here...gets me motivated to get to work on my model A!!!

truck is looking badass!! very nice work! like the others i can't wait to see more progress....

joe

Thanks guys for the nice words. I haven't had anything to post on this recently, but finally have some updates to post. Sorry for just copying a post I did on another forum, but it sure saves a lot of time typing it all over again. :D

Well, Dan has posted some pictures of his current progress on the other forum, so I am cleared to post some here. For the past month we have been sorting out the rear suspension. What should have been pretty simple has been a bit of a challenge, mainly because Dan gets involved with little details that take so much time to work out. I have to admit though it is looking pretty trick.

To recap, he is using a complete backhalf kit from Auto Weld that is normally used on prostockers and prostreet cars. It is comprised of two custom made mandrel bent rails (that we shortened quite a bit), a big tube 9 inch rear axle housing, a four bar set up, and two Posies superslide quarter eliptic springs. He didn't want it to look like it belonged on a prostreet car, so he tossed the original mounting plates and built new ones, and shorted the housing mounts way down. Now it looks a little cleaner and less modern.

One little thing he did that took so much time was he modified the frame tabs he built and added some welded on sections so that they would look like old Ford rivit on brackets. They are actually fully welded on, and the rivits are just cosmetic. We also had to shorten the four bars to move the rear axle up, but he has ordered correct sized ones in chrome from Pete and Jakes. The whole setup on there now is just for mock up.

Then we mounted the Posies springs, and he has temporarily made mounts to hold the frame end on. He is still figuring out what he wants to do there.

Here are some pictures of how we did the brackets and all. (I say WE, but my role has been mainly helping to turn the frame over 100 times )

Don

Attachments

• dans four link setup.jpg
    dans four link setup.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 150
  • dans four link setup 2.jpg
    dans four link setup 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 139
  • dans four link setup 3.jpg
    dans four link setup 3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 155
  • dans four link setup 4.jpg
    dans four link setup 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 179
  • dans four link setup 5.jpg
    dans four link setup 5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 248
Then of course we had to see what the weight of the engine and body would do to ride height, so we installed them. It pretty much sits where he wanted it.

He also got a top kit from Speedway and is going to use it. I think it makes the whole car look better.

Don

Attachments

• dans four link setup 6.jpg
    dans four link setup 6.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 174
  • dans four link setup 7.jpg
    dans four link setup 7.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 238
  • dans four link setup 8.jpg
    dans four link setup 8.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 258
Thanks guys. He and I worked til about 2 this morning getting his quarter eliptic spring mounts figured out and built. (he had to work today, I didn't :eek:) I was determined when I went to the shop yesterday we were going to get these built one way or another before we left for the night. Dan is very good at fabrication, but very bad about second guessing himself. Over the past 3 weeks we have come up with 10 different ways to mount the Posies springs and each time he found reasons why he didn't like them.

When I got there he was sitting in a chair pondering them, and I picked up some cardboard and started cutting out a template. I just kept working at it and ignoring him. He watched for a while as I fitted it under the spring and made a mockup mount. Finally he said "yeah, but it has to be wider so I can weld it to the frame," so we made that little change and he liked it. We cut the brackets out of steel and got most of them welded on last night, tonight (if he isn't too tired after work) we are going to finish them up and I'll post some more pictures.

Don

Dan and I put in a lot of hours this weekend and really got lots done on his '29. (we worked until 5 am Sunday morning and went back Sunday Pm to do it all over again. :eek:) It was really worth it and it moved his car way ahead.

We wrapped up mounting his rear quarter eliptic springs for one thing. The mount we came up with gives him a lot of adjustability up and down, and is pretty simple in design. It is now all welded on, so we then installed the engine , tranny, and body to see how the car would settle under weight.

The next thing we did was put a c notch in both sides of the bed to allow it to drop over the axle, and install the lower skirt on the bed. It hides all of the suspension from the side, but he is going to leave the bed totally open to show all of the workings.

Here are some pictures of where we ended up tonight.

Don

Attachments

• dans rpu bed installed 004.jpg
    dans rpu bed installed 004.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 177
  • dans rpu bed installed 006.jpg
    dans rpu bed installed 006.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 162
  • dans rpu bed installed 009.jpg
    dans rpu bed installed 009.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 160
  • dans rpu bed installed 007.jpg