Ok to paint a rough truck in satin black?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

I have decided i'm not crazy about my truck's patina and i'd like to go satin black (Rustoleum 7777). But as I snoop around the internet all the trucks I see in satin black appear to be in really straight condition. Have you seen any trucks painted satin that are in rough shape? How did they look? I know the satin makes the condition look better than it really is, at least as far as pictures over the internet go, but this is pretty ratty.

I'll throw this pic up to get your suggestions. What i'm thinking is the satin black with red scallops, trimming the scallops with a thin white line. And factory wheels, 40's Ford hubcaps and wide whites. I'll throw up some pictures of what i'm talking about here.

My truck;
6022675662_21b1f2519b_z.jpg

An idea of the truck in satin black (looking for those taillights too)
6022119105_b0ec2f29fb.jpg

Scallops kind of like this;
6022675884_92b6f02fd1_z.jpg

So that's my virtual idea board what do you think? Have a better idea lemme know.

- Joe -

There's no way I would paint that truck...people would kill for a patina like that....oh the horror!

Aw man, you're making this hard. I've been going back and forth on it for months now. It's time to decide and commit. I love the hood, it's about half rusted and bare. It sat in a rancher's field for 15yrs and they parked it downhill so the front of the bed is all cancered out for the first inch or two. The rear fender behind the pass. side tire is dented in and the front driver's side fender is literally split from top to bottom.

I'll post some pics of it in the field where I got it. It's been cleaned up some since these were taken, mostly the chalky white oxidation is gone and it's been washed. If it passes RRR inspection I wouldn't mind keeping it in patina, maybe do some von dutch pinstriping in a couple of small places? What I want to do in a hurry is make it apparent that this is a rat rod and not a rancher's truck.

5629208147_02d354a83e_z.jpg

5629787954_2c2b021a62_z.jpg

5749309227_62d0dda41e_z.jpg

A lil hard to see in this picture a friend took with his cell fone but I patched the bottom of the body of my panel with license plates then sprayed it black with Rustoleum camo rattle cans!

BoB

Attachments

• panelblack.jpg
    panelblack.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 37
has the back bumper been narrowed?

Welcome!

Good eye. I'm not sure what they did there. It looks like they cut it and then decided against it and put it back together?

While Ford did make "wrong beds" in '62 and '63 i'm told that they never did that with a 2wd. So this truck was likely sold as a C&C and the rancher had a bed lying around that he slapped on it. So he may have had to modify the bumper to fit that, not sure.

Some have heard this, some haven't. This truck was bought as a mail truck or S.E. Montana (where I found it) and it delivered mail on gumbo roads for years. Note the GVW on the bedside. The man I bought it form got it from his uncle who bought it new. He tells me that the engine had new rings put in 100,000 miles ago and the truck itself has around 400,000 miles on it :eek:

You know what, the GVW decal is pretty cool and the story of the truck is too, i'm not going to paint it.

Thanks for the help Tired Iron, i'm going to stick with it.

I think not painting is the right decission, at least on this one!!
If you could some how get the white on the bed to match, that would be cool!!
Why no take a body hammer and very slowly knock most of the dents out, (slowly being the key word). Lower it or whatever else you're planning on doing first, and you can always paint it later, you'll never get that patina back!!!

I think not painting is the right decission, at least on this one!!
If you could some how get the white on the bed to match, that would be cool!!
Why no take a body hammer and very slowly knock most of the dents out, (slowly being the key word). Lower it or whatever else you're planning on doing first, and you can always paint it later, you'll never get that patina back!!!

That's part of the "wrong bed" thing. The body lines on the truck and the bed don't match at all, so they just went one color with the bed. This was when they tried the unibody trucks and when that didn't work they just threw on the beds from the '57-'60 trucks.

I've already lowered the front a bit ;)

If this is a 62 then that is the correct bed whether put on factory or later.
I had one in 73 that came just like yours from the factory because,
Ford had a bunch of these beds left over from the previous years.
Everybody's right on the patina ;)
Go ahead do the wheels, wide whites, lower, leave the rear bumper, get rid of the trailer hitch and watch how much attention U get [ddev [dr
at the car shows and on the street :cool:

Jim

That's part of the "wrong bed" thing. The body lines on the truck and the bed don't match at all, so they just went one color with the bed. This was when they tried the unibody trucks and when that didn't work they just threw on the beds from the '57-'60 trucks.

I've already lowered the front a bit ;)

Yeah thats what I mean, nothing says you have to follow the body line!!
You could see how it looks if you follow the paint line, it should help hide the irregularity!! I also had a 60 that was like that!! It was all blue and not very obvious!

You know what, the GVW decal is pretty cool and the story of the truck is too, i'm not going to paint it.

Thanks for the help Tired Iron, i'm going to stick with it.

Thank the Lord, man that is a really cool looking truck....I would take the hitch off the back, clean that decal off the tailgate and just clean it up good, get it mechanically sound, put on some steelies with wide whites and lower it just a tad then you'll be golden!

Three words..wheels and tires..

I've liked that truck since you posted the first pics right after you got it..do the tail lights, some pinstripes and wheels and tires, that'll help it to loose that "ranch fresh"feel..Not that it wouldn't look good wearing black with scallops, but I like it like it is..

Thank the Lord, man that is a really cool looking truck....I would take the hitch off the back, clean that decal off the tailgate and just clean it up good, get it mechanically sound, put on some steelies with wide whites and lower it just a tad then you'll be golden!

You can breathe easy now, lol.

The hitch will definitely be leaving, it's one of a myriad of rancher touches on the truck including a home made deer guard, incorrect leaf springs, crimped brake line to the rear, 3 different types of wheels on the truck all at once and I keep finding bailing wire repairs in every cranny I check.

Three words..wheels and tires..

I've liked that truck since you posted the first pics right after you got it..do the tail lights, some pinstripes and wheels and tires, that'll help it to loose that "ranch fresh"feel..Not that it wouldn't look good wearing black with scallops, but I like it like it is..

I'm all for that I just can't find the "innie" wheels to accept the dog dish hubcaps anywhere. The truck has two 15" "outtie" wheels, one 16" "innie" wheel and one 15" early Jeep wheel on it. I'm looking for a full set of 15" "innie" wheels, if you know of any let me know.

How about black scallops over the original patina paint? (Honestly I'd have to do a mock up of that first to see how it looked) Maybe even black flames?

You could always ditch the whole rear bumper.

How about black scallops over the original patina paint? (Honestly I'd have to do a mock up of that first to see how it looked) Maybe even black flames?

You could always ditch the whole rear bumper.

What are you thinking on the bumper, roll pan or just bare frame ends?

Black flames over patina;
6023676678_bf23f3b09a_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back