Paint floor pans/sealing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

I have been working on my project car, Its a 64 chevy chevelle. I want to start working on the interior. Inside is completely guted out. I am looking into making this into a beater. I don't want to spend much money on the cosmetics but performance will be killer.

There is some surface rust on the floor pans, I want to do minmal work as it is not going to be a show car

So any tips:

here is what i was thinking:

clean pans well using soap water and scotch brite
ruff sand with 80 grit (maybe)
coat with rust convertor (ospho/por-15/rustoluem rust converter)
prime
coat with bed truck liner

any advice is appreciated

thanks

I think your plan is very sound. For the primer I would use an epoxy primer as it will not suck up moisture like regular primer. The bed liner will make it bulletproof.

Don

You have the right idea. I would second the notion on the Epoxy primer. Better seal against moisture.
How's the bottom of the pans? Have you done anything to them there?

so should I skip the por15 and just epoxy primer? I have not done anything to the underside of the pans, they look good though, no rust. Should I coat them in epoxy or bed liner?

I'd use a twisted wire cup brush on an angle grinder, instead of scotch brights. You don't have to do anything else but prime them then.
POR 15 is a good product but, in your situation I think epoxy primer would be best, then do what else you want.
Home Depot has this Milwaukee for $19.99

Attachments

• Wire brush.jpg
    Wire brush.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5
Why not just fix it right the first time since it is stripped down now. Complete floor pan kits for a Chevelle are only a couple hundred bucks and that's cheap. You won't regret it later.

dam i love this site!

There is no epoxy primer at any of the shops where i live, what brands do you guys suggest?

my buddy has a few quarts of por15 he is gonna give me, I have surface rust on the dash and some panels, I was going to sand them to metal but since i'm not looking to put my bucks on cosmetics im shooting for performance, can I use the por15 on the dash and panels?

POR15 will fail in sunlight. You don't want to use it on anything you will see either.

What kind of budget do you have to put toward this project?

not alot of cash to put in this...i want it running basically. maybe looking to spend 3 to 4 all together. I have a ton of cosmetic parts that came with the car that were not installed...complete interior, weatherstripping, trim, headlight bezels, grill, wire harness, sterring column, brakes, and glass all included, i have an engine and looking for a trans at the moment, suspension and rear end all new, frame is good.

You will find epoxy primer at your local auto paint supply house, where body shops get their supplies. I like Dupont and PPG is good too. I have also used Nason paints, which is the lower price line of Dupont, and it has been fine.

Oh oh, I just saw that you live in California. It might be hard to buy paint supplies there due to the regulations they have. Funny State..........pot is legal, paint is not ! :confused::rolleyes:

Don

Latest posts

Back