Patina...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
295925116_46158f0833.jpg

i think some rods look really cool with it. that being said, i don't think i could build one like that myself. i would have to least spray bomb it with primer.

patina?

I like it! That is the look I want and I think I have it so far!
I have had many people say " what color are ya going to paint it?"
My reply is..........".IT IS PAINTED" Mother natures paint.........Rust!

Attachments

• dr side with tires.jpg
    dr side with tires.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 77
I'm going with Joe. Looks good on some cars but not all. Fake or real does not matter to me.....again, only if it's on the right car (like Mr. Gussett's).

Like it most of the time. I like the old truck doors with business names on them. Mostly the real ones. I like brush paint jobs from down on the farm in the 50's that have sat out since then. But paint don't bother me.

I like patina on some cars but not all of them. Like Bonehead, I like to see weathered lettering on truck doors and such. What I don't care for as much is when someone has a nicely or semi-nicely finished car and decides to go backwards from there, stripping all of the paint off and letting it rust. I like patina the best when it doesn't look forced.

I'm a little on the fence about it. I think that if you find a period car like an old 60s gasser that has faded worn lettering that is original to the car then by all means keep it. If you have an old body you found in a field somewhere that is rusted from top to bottom then put it on a frame, toss in a motor and drive it. Enjoy it while you build it, but when time and money allows, throw a paintjob on it. I'm one of those guys that thinks it ain't a hot rod if it ain't black. Thats just my two cents.

Personally I like real patina, I do not like fake patina. The hood of my truck is down to the primer in places, I like it. I am asked all the time, When are you going to do the body work and paint your truck. My answer is, why would I want to ruin a perfectly good original body?

Attachments

• 64-hood.jpg
    64-hood.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 46
Depends on the rod. As long as I like the overall look, stance and theme, it doesn't matter to me. I've have show paint, satin paint and rust. Each was picked for the theme of the rod.

I like patina and the one originally posted is good.
I also like it more if its not man made.
It depends on the item as well.

Having said all that, talk about patina!! I moved the Topolino into my new shop today and there is patina everywhere.:eek: (subject of a new thread)

Attachments

• Topo in new shop 003 (Medium).jpg
    Topo in new shop 003 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Topo in new shop 004 (Medium).jpg
    Topo in new shop 004 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 34
I guess the thing that guts it for me personally, is the mixture of old and new. With my lakes car, I am doing my best to keep everything old school, like a barn find. Even though y'all know I've been carving this thing from the dirt off the floor, it would be nice someday if some old guy at the salt walked up and said "I remeber this car". That, to me would be the ultimate compliment?...

If you want the patina but dont want to have it rot out over time you can clear the rust to protect it. They make a matte clear coat that will not leave it looking glossy. This will allow you to leave the rust but protect it as well.

Latest posts

Back