Pics of the '54 International R-110 I'm inheriting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spit shined the hubcaps (have 3 of 4. hung em on the wall, I'm gonna be running modern big wheels, but these sure do decorate the shop well!)
IMAG0223.jpg

Also started on a little body work. I can't decide/don't know if I should strip the paint down to the metal and start fresh, or if I should just work with what I got? idk. I'm just thinking of the 'finished product/long haul' I'm painting it white, so it's pretty forgiving, but still... I want it done right the first time.
IMAG0225.jpg

Any tips on the body work would be greatly appreciated!
-Andrew

Got the bed off!

Hopefully gonna setup a chat with the sandblaster this week.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

Now I start brainstorming my rear suspension setup. Plan to run airbags, but am unsure of what sort of torsion bar setup to run. Maybe attempt a 4 link? idk. Gonna have to be homemade. Ideas?

Hey! Whoopsy. Sorry for the lack of updates! I've worked on the truck a few more times.. Time to show you guys where I'm at.

First off, when taking about the glovebox, I found this old piece of paper stuffed up on top of it. Cool eh?
ALineSettingScan.jpg

Got the truck pressurewashed.
Before:
IMAG0267.jpg

After:
IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Can actually see the motor stamps and such! yay. Triple Diamond Pride! lol
IMAG0286.jpg

Got the floor boards off and removed the Heat/Air box
IMAG02884.jpg

Dropped the running boards and gas tank
IMAG0302.jpg

Pulled the front end off
IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

And there you have it. Right now I'm in the process of brainstorming the front end. I'm lined up to pick up a Chevy C-10 front end so I can have IFS and Discs. For the back I'm gonna try and find a Ford Explorer 8.8" with Discs.

Gonna find some drop spindles and springs. Wanna get it about 4" lower than it is now. I figure some 2.5" spindles and some springs should do it, right? If I went with the 2.5" spindles, what size springs would I need? And what if I ran 3" sprindles?

For the back I'm just gonna flip it to the underside and maybe run some small blocks. to tweak the 'rake' look.

Imput? Thanks

-Andrew

Okay fast forward... sorry I've been posting over on oldihc.org and forgot to update this thread! D'oh!

Got the front end off and stripped and the rear has been cleaned and primed.
(and obviously got it in the shop now so I don't have to rely on daylight and fair weather to work on it! yay)

IMAGE_358.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

pulled the valve cover. not too bad for not running since '93 I think
DSCN0049.jpg

got out the old chisel and scrapers and wire wheel and did everything forward of the firewall:
boy this stuff was on there...
IMAGE_365.jpg

IMAGE_364.jpg

So now I'm just chugging along. I should be driving this bad boy soon. Got a vacation to pay for in december but after that I can devote more skrilla to the project!

Then I can start on my rat rod. I'm spying this one to pick up:

IMAGE_357.jpg

lookin' gooooood!!![cl [cl i think you're doin well for yourself there Andrew....keep us posted....and keep workin'[;)

we'll be waiting......[P

HRP

BTW - when you start eyeing another project, and you haven't finished the last one,....you've def. turned into a rodder!!

I love them old Binder trucks and that one you have is in awesome shape. There are a few in the area where I am at but they are mostly newer trucks. With all the farmers in the area them IHCs where popular back in the day in my neck of the woods.

Up here in the rust belt even a 15 year old truck wouldn't be that solid, heck I have seen 2000 Chevies starting to rust out around the wheel wells already.

Got the rest of the cab primed. Got some more sanding to do on some some areas, but it's close. It's NOT going to be flawless (I want to DRIVE this thing.) and I'm not fixing even 1 dent. I think it's gonna add some character.

And I'm sorry in advance for these pictures. My cell phone has a crack on the exterior cover so these are blurry. I will have some better pictures today as the sun comes out. (With a better camera) but you get the idea.

IMAGE_383.jpg

IMAGE_384.jpg

IMAGE_385.jpg

IMAGE_386.jpg

IMAGE_387.jpg

IMAGE_388.jpg

And as you can plainly see I got most of the frame done. What you can't see is that I also sprayed most of the bottom of the cab and those frame rails too. So it's lookin pretty good right now.

I plan to pull the motor out (probably next week) and finish all of the priming and start on the chassis black and cab - white. Should be making some good headway next week. (no updates this weekend though, cause I'll be on vacation)

Thanks for the support guys!
More updates soon!
-Andrew

Also pictured are the hubs. Everything feels tight when steering around the yard and stuff.. but I guess I'll have to wait and see how they look as I disassemble them. Any tips with dealing with hubs I should know about?

DSCN0011.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

-Andrew

looking real good man.. i wish one of my cabs was that straight....

Update!

Got a good bit of work done this week thanks to vacation time off. (wait a minute, I don't work, anyway. Whats vacation time???? lol)

Got 'er stripped down and cleaned up! I'll let the pics do the talking:

IMAGE_404.jpg

Over 5' long haha
DSCN0061.jpg

Wiring's out
DSCN0071.jpg

Firewall's all clean
IMAGE_407.jpg

DSCN0056-3.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0073.jpg

Thats all for now. I hope to have all of the frame cleaned and primed (if not primed AND painted, if it ever warms up...) in the next week or so. Want to get a lot done before my trip on Dec 13th!

Thanks for the positive input, everyone! Very much appreciated.
-Andrew

Latest posts

Back