Pieces and Parts for a "Farm Rat" Eh?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it'll look too bulky. You may be able to make it look good after a lot of work, but odds are, no matter what, it'll still look like a wheelbarrow. You can find something better. I do like the grill idea though.

The wheelbarrow is too big for a grille shell. Makes a great firewall trans tunnel though. For a grille find a classic tractor grille can't go wrong there.
I have these 2 for sale.
photobucket-3283-1321639463724.jpg

photobucket-788-1321639410233.jpg

The Count doesn't have an opinion, he just counts ah ah ahhhhhhhh

grill shell...
What if you sliced up 4 oil pans welded back together as quadrants to make 1 big grill sized oilpan then cut the center out...

How about a water heater tank or a 30 gallon drum split down the middle and tilted back at an angle with the top and bottoms mitered parallel with the ground like a templar's shield..or capped off rather nicely at the top...

The weirdest rattiest most inappropriate idea i could come up with was a stack of computer monitor housings with the centers cut out and the tubes removed or leave the tubes in and play a video of a running engine...running in hell [cl

The wheelbarrow is too big for a grille shell. Makes a great firewall trans tunnel though. For a grille find a classic tractor grille can't go wrong there.
I have these 2 for sale.
photobucket-3283-1321639463724.jpg

photobucket-788-1321639410233.jpg

I really appreciate everyone's input on this...I like the tractor grill idea!!

The first one is a Massey Harris...but is the second one a Case?

I like Mcormick Deering Farmalls...I'll have to look around and see what I can find at the local tractor salvage yard.

Maybe I should look for an International truck cab from the late 40's...to go along with the tractor/ farm theme.

Thanks again,

Rooster

Things that are not only NOT ratty but also unsafe.

IMHO

1. using any type of wrench anywhere for anything other than what a wrench was intended to be used for

2. using any type of wrench as a suspension component

3. booger welds

4. using an old bucket for a seat

5. welding your front and or rear axle directly to the frame (bolting it directly to the frame for that matter)

6. Not having proper floor boards. i.e. your foot could fall through and the road tears off said foot.

7. Running an open driveline through the cab without a tunnel or hoop

8. Propane flame throwers anywhere near a fuel source (saw this the other day with flames about two inches away from the carbs, not a good idea)

9. A bunch of other things I can't think of right now.

Hey Goose-em,...thanks for the "don't list"!!! :)

I took some pics of a mock-up front end using some AT tires and my wheelbarrow...I wanted to see how bulky it may or may not look...I'd do the same thing with a tractor grill, if I had one.

Anyone want to change their vote? haha

Am I going to be able to fit a radiator, big enough to cool a Detroit 4-53T, inside and behind a tractor grill? Should I be looking for a radiator before I find a grill? "Cart before the horse???"

Thanks,

Rooster

Attachments

• Ratrod mockup IMG_0623.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0623.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0624.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0624.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0621.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0621.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0622.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0622.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 14
Actually I think you could work with that. I love the herring bone idea. The tractor grill can look ok if you find the right one but since I am an old farm boy I always think tractor when I see one. Most of them just sit too straight up for my taste. Some of the old Oliver grills are way cool but you'd never get a big enough radiator in most of those for the 4-53.

attachment.php

If those are the size tires you'll be using, I retract my 'too big and bulky" statement. I think it'll work, but it'll take some work. If you just cut a hole in the bottom and weld in a flat grill - it's not gonna be enough. You'll need to add some flare - either curve the grill or round the edges of the hole, or both. But the extra work will make a BIG difference.

Is the calf pen gate material round or flat stock?

I mean curve the grill kinda like this. (not the best example or picture, but hopefully you get the idea)
langmercw125aw2.jpg

...or like a 39 truck grill.
2009-11-12_1939FordGrilleWeb-Large.jpg

And/or roll the inner edges of the inside lip.

83226054_d74b35d9ed.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda looks like a pudgy Whippet grill.

I had to Google "Whippet grill" to know what we were referencing...sorry, "new guy".

If I pull this off, it might start a new trend...eh?

The calf pen stock is 3/4in. O.D. round pipe. I think that I might be able to make a jig to bend them into a slight arc.

I was also thinking of rolling the inside edge of the grill opening, but I'm trying to decide how. One option is to mark the outer edge of the final opening, then mark a concentric circle/ outline 2" inside the final opening and cutting that inside line. Next I would cut relief cuts creating 2" wide tabs that I would then roll towards the outside like a sardine can...working my way around the entire grill opening.

I hope you guys can see what I'm talking about..it's hard to draw that on the computer.

Thanks again....keep the comments coming!!

Rooster

As I am thinking about what I can use as a substitute for the 3/4" pipe, my first thought was 3/8" rusted re-bar. And then use 1/2" re-bar for the "rolled opening".

Is using re-bar "cheating"... or just over used?

Another option would be to use 3/8" round rod fencing stakes. (Sticking to the Farm Rat theme.)

And as a side note, here is a link to the rims that I am considering for the BF Goodrich A/T truck tires.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/wheels/productID/3434/wheelDataID/19383

Rooster

I "tripped" over the solution!!

So, I recently tore down a barn that was ready to fall down on it's own, and I was able to remove the headstalls from all of the cow stanchions. I was planning on keeping a few and then scrapping the rest. I have them laying in a pile along side the driveway. And then it hit me, I could use the curved sections to build the "rolled" edge for the grill frame!

I don't know why I didn't think of using them before.

Rooster

Attachments

• Headstall IMG_0628.jpg
    Headstall IMG_0628.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Headstall IMG_0542.jpg
    Headstall IMG_0542.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Headstall IMG_0629.jpg
    Headstall IMG_0629.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Headstall IMG_0630.jpg