Pieces and Parts for a "Farm Rat" Eh?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working off and on with my grill design, and I hope to show you guys some pics soon.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about headlights. I can't say that I will be using the standard "Hot rod/Rat rod" round headlights. I am leaning towards snow plow lights. I found some that are oval shaped and have the turn signal lights built in.

http://store.besttruckeq.com/nisaiiliseme.html

I'll have to figure out mounting brackets once I have the frame set up.

Rooster

Attachments

• yhst-77986542645571_2215_82929557.jpg
    yhst-77986542645571_2215_82929557.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
GAACK!! on those headlights. I think some small buckets. The ones that look like old galvanized farm buckets only smaller like citronella candles come in, that would be more in line with the farm theme. Or even tractor lights (tract-o-lite). I've had a few sets of them and you can find them cheap, change the sealed beams out.

I tried to do a mock up of the plow lights (two types
)...I still sort of like them.
I also did one with square tractor lights and round...

But as always, I am open to many points of view.

Thanks guys,

Rooster

Attachments

• Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with plow lights.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with plow lights.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with tractor lights.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with tractor lights.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with tractor lights round.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with tractor lights round.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 12
  • Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with plow lights 2.jpg
    Ratrod mockup IMG_0622 with plow lights 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I've never actually used these yet but here's what a little imagination can do. Take an old set of wall mount lamps

lamplites001-1.jpg

Rig up an arbor with a piece of reddi rod and wooden discs so you can put them in the drill press, polish the appropriate amount, install sealed beams a viola!!

lamplites010.jpg

lamplites011.jpg

Old, New, Borrowed, Blue/Rusted

WB,

Those look like they are factory made!!! Awesome!

I don't know if I have the right thought process on the whole Rat Rod thing, but I sort of have been following the old "bride's dress" idea...

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (and/or rusted)."

Thanks for helping me out with thinking outside the box!!

Rooster

Haha, that's a good philosophy, but less on the "something new" part and more on the something old and something borrowed.
Funny thing is, I don't have headlights on my car yet and have owned at least 6-8 sets I thought had possibilities.

I've never actually used these yet but here's what a little imagination can do. Take an old set of wall mount lamps

lamplites001-1.jpg

Rig up an arbor with a piece of reddi rod and wooden discs so you can put them in the drill press, polish the appropriate amount, install sealed beams a viola!!

lamplites010.jpg

lamplites011.jpg

Dang man! Thats a great idea!!! Wish i would have seen that before i bought my buckets!

If you go new, I'd go with the #4 before #1. But really, I wouldn't go with either if it were me, unless you could figure out some good looking old school style buckets to put them in.

If you go new, I'd go with the #4 before #1. But really, I wouldn't go with either if it were me, unless you could figure out some good looking old school style buckets to put them in.

See?....This is why I love you guys on this forum!!!

I could take the idea of the galv. pail from WB, cut out the bottom, squash the sides together to form an oval (of sorts) to match the shape of the plow lights, and then cut an oval out of rusted sheet metal and weld in a oval bottom. I could always cut the pail at the side seam to make it a bigger diameter or smaller. The best of both worlds!!!

I have to admit that I like the plow lights because they have personality and make the vehicle look a bit intimidating, plus being from Wisconsin, I see a lot of plow trucks!!!

It is fun to think about the little things that will make up my build, before I even have the frame designed, cab located, the motor purchased, etc......and on, and on, and on....

Rooster

Am I going to be able to fit a radiator, big enough to cool a Detroit 4-53T, inside and behind a tractor grill? Should I be looking for a radiator before I find a grill? "Cart before the horse???"

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you said it - Cart before the horse is exactly where you are.

None of these ideas will mean squat if they aren't coupled with a design that flows with good proportions. You can't say what grill or lights or most anything else will work without a body, frame, suspension and correct wheels and tires at ride height. That's the foundation. Think about a house - You can build the neatest looking roof in the world but it's no good if the walls don't fit under it. I hope you get what I'm saying. It's fun to daydream, but without a solid design to start with it can turn bad quickly. THAT's how you end up looking like the "wanna-be" guy in a WTF type ride that you are wanting to avoid. (see the IH pickup/Grand Am fusion nightmare)

Well built, well engineered stuff is easily appreciated even if it's not your style. Junk slapped together for a "theme" or any other reason is usually just that - junk. Some stuff sounds good in your head but...

Last edited:
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you said it - Cart before the horse is exactly where you are.

None of these ideas will mean squat if they aren't coupled with a design that flows with good proportions. You can't say what grill or lights or most anything else will work without a body, frame, suspension and correct wheels and tires at ride height. That's the foundation. Think about a house - You can build the neatest looking roof in the world but it's no good if the walls don't fit under it. I hope you get what I'm saying. It's fun to daydream, but without a solid design to start with it can turn bad quickly. THAT's how you end up looking like the "wanna-be" guy in a WTF type ride that you are wanting to avoid. (see the IH pickup/Grand Am fusion nightmare)

Well built, well engineered stuff is easily appreciated even if it's not your style. Junk slapped together for a "theme" or any other reason is usually just that - junk. Some stuff sounds good in your head but...

Everything you said is true. And yes, I am a bit wound up about the possibilities. The whole Rat Rod idea is right up my alley, when it comes to creating an original product using pieces and parts and newly fabricated frames. As a timber-frame carpenter, I fix, repair and re-build 100+yr old barns using pieces from other buildings so that the repair looks appropriate and is structurally sound.

I want to learn and develop the skills needed to build this truck, because it is more than a "theme" it is a new chapter in my skill set that I want to expand upon. So yes, I have a long way to go...I am just taking a different way around to my final destination.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Rooster

Last edited:
Buckets?

I found a large grain/ feed scoop in an old barn that got me thinking about buckets for the plow headlights. I searched on-line and found these galv. feed scoops.

http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/Product-Detail.jsp?groupId=627&prodId=70106

They would have a built-in shade/ overhang, and the handle could be used as a mounting bracket...that is as long as the scoops come in a big enough size to handle the oval lights...

Rooster

Attachments

• scoop bucket.jpg
    scoop bucket.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back