Question about Olds 455

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42chevy

Rustier Rat Rodder
I am planning on picking up a 1976 Olds 455 with an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Q-jet. I will hear it run before I pull it. It is totally complete for $600 and they will pull it. I currently have a 1974 Olds 350 with a Performer intake and Edelbrock 750 carb and dual exhaust. My question is since this is a "smog" big block will itstill be a lot more powerful? I have a set of "B" heads with the large valves that will be swapped on eventually but want it to be a worthwhile swap the way it is. I think with a 105 extra cubes with both being smog motors it should be well worth it. Any input? Oh , it is going in my '42 Chevy Aerosedan, with a Turbo 400 and a 2: something rear from a 1974 Nova. Non Posi.

Not a lot of difference on paper but I'll bet you can feel the torque difference on the road. Like you said the 76 455 is a smog engine and will have a fairly low compression ratio. If you even want to rebuild it just throw in some higher compression pistons and a good cam and wake that engine up! Otherwise, you have a very understressed big block that should last forever and be very dependable.

V-8/350 4.06x3.38 180@3800 275@2800 8.5:1 4V 1974

V-8/455 4.13x4.25 190@3400 350@2000 8.5:1 4V 1975-76

Not a lot of difference on paper but I'll bet you can feel the torque difference on the road. Like you said the 76 455 is a smog engine and will have a fairly low compression ratio. If you even want to rebuild it just throw in some higher compression pistons and a good cam and wake that engine up! Otherwise, you have a very understressed big block that sh

ould last forever and be very dependable.

V-8/350 4.06x3.38 180@3800 275@2800 8.5:1 4V 1974

V-8/455 4.13x4.25 190@3400 350@2000 8.5:1 4V 1975-76

What he said. you could even swap out the heads or have the heads decked, and go with a thin head gasket, then go with the intake carb and cam....get a easy 55-80 horses. The torque difference and the long stroke, big bore will be well worth the motor swap....and cubic inches is hard to beat on the street.....[ddd

I am new here and just going through some post on Olds. I would try and find some C heads to put on your 455. They flow better and also will raise you compression some. Oldsmobiles makes all it compression it eh heads. The reason I say use the C heads is that B heads are off motors with different cam bank angles.

dude....scoot on over to http://www.oldsmobileforum.com/forum/ and check out stuff over there about heads.....I know some about the Olds....for the hardcore.....realoldspower.com.....

We has a long discussion about the 442's with the W30 heads over at speedtalk, not too long ago and alot of folks were showing interest in these motors now. Theres alot of them out in the junkyards and in used cars....eagerly waiting to be hopped up! The Olds were good....and had alot of speed equip for them to boot.
Watch which heads you put on that motor.....Olds, like Buick, did some changing during those mid stream crossings, so-to-speak.:cool:

even with the lower compression these motor still like good gas, and with your 2 something gears it will turn your tires in to white smoke, and still get fair mileage. i say do it your going to like all the toque that a mountian motor makes. keep us posted.[P

I am new here and just going through some post on Olds. I would try and find some C heads to put on your 455. They flow better and also will raise you compression some. Oldsmobiles makes all it compression it eh heads. The reason I say use the C heads is that B heads are off motors with different cam bank angles.

i will check into the different heads on chamber sizes, but the way i have seen the changes is in the dish on the pistons, i have some 8.5 to 1 pistons and i have the 10.5 to 1 pistons and it is in the piston dish for them. the heads on the 76 motor should be j heads, they are ok for stock to mild motors, i have had the c and another that i can't remember right now but there was no noticeable difference that i found. one thing about olds motors is they do not like poor gas, they will rattle on you even with the 8.5 to 1. the cam bank angle is from the block so the heads will work but cams are different, the other heads that i had where f i think. right now i have two out of jetboats and really don't know what heads i have for them, maybe i should look sometime.

Thanks guys. The first guy backed out after I drove his car to test the engine, I was impressed with the power. I was mad he decided not to sell. I had to look hard but I just picked up a '76 Olds 98 Regency complete for $700, the other guy wanted $600 just for the same year engine and I get a TH400 and a spare rear end and a tilt column. I am now very excited and think the power will be worth it. I was debating to upgrade my Olds 350 and just did not think it would have been enough. It is going into my '42 Chevy, great winter project.

I got the car

Posting pics. It is almost a shame to rob what I want as solid as the car is.

Attachments

• DSC03051.JPG
    DSC03051.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC03053.JPG
    DSC03053.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC03054.JPG
    DSC03054.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC03055.JPG
    DSC03055.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC03056.JPG
    DSC03056.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC03058.JPG
    DSC03058.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC03061.JPG
    DSC03061.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC03063.JPG
    DSC03063.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC03066.JPG
    DSC03066.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 1
my dad put a 455 olds out of a 76 ambulance in a full size 82 chevy pickup. and had one hell of a time getting traction! i think it would be a good motor!

I have the engine out finally. I was able to drive it into the shop which was a first for me. I can't wait to get it in the '42. I am hoping even stock going from a smogger 350 Olds to a smogger 455 will be a huge improvement. After I sell my '57 Chevy I am hoping to do some upgrading. I have a set of 425 'B' heads and then a better cam and intake as well as timing set, that should make a big difference. Might even do headers if I can afford to, but I will run it stock for awhile. That way I can verify how much difference in power I get.

455 with headers (a must for performance)Big tube...long collector, a healthy cam, about 280 @ .050/ lift about .500-.525, a good carb, a 780 Holley dual feed vacuum secondary carb is what you need.....but don't go below 700 cfm for any kind of performance, A good alum. intake, airgap performer or torker can be had pretty cheap. The only weak point in these motors was the oiling system, set up your mains middle of the road clearence wise, chamfer your rod and main oiling holes, use good clevite 77's on both rods and mains.
You want to run as much oil as you can and keep it cool.... a Milodon oilpan with pump and pickup.
Hop up yur stock HEI with a Accel or Mallory kit...they pretty cheap. After you tune it....with 9.5 or 10.0 to 1's....you should have about 460 horses, conservative, with about 500ft.pds of torque.
More than enough to push a Cutlass or smaller car into the 12's.....your gonna need traction bars and a driveshaft loop!
[ddd[P

I can't wait to see how it makes my 3150 pound car move compared to even a Cutlass. I have the engine and trans out and was able to drive it into my shop. That was nice for a change! I checked my spark plugs , can you believe a factory .068 gap. I cannot wait to get it in my '42 Chevy. Now I have to work on my work car before the wife will allow me to do the 455 swap. Oh well, I have all winter. I will keep you posted as I do the swap.

Latest posts

Back