Quick question on Toyota steering boxes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
After searching on here, I see some people are using the 81-84 Toyota steering boxes, has anyone used the 85-91 boxes?

Reason I ask is they are much cheaper, and I found a few rebuilt ones fairly cheap...
I'm planning on keeping the steering linkage stock on my F1 axle as its all rebuilt now... just need a different plan for the steering box, as I'm going power.

Thanks guys.

86 Box

Hey Dirtyrat, I used an 86 Toyota box on my 56 F100. Love it. MidFifty Parts makes everything you need. I'll be glad to send you the info if you think it'll work on you're F1.

Lynn

I've looked at their kit, and it looks pretty nice for a straight stock conversion for sure.

I'd probably piece something together as I am building my own frame, was just curious about using a newer box...

Cool....

I understand. If you are building your frame, you could definitely make the later box work. I'm running MidFifty's 3" dropped axle.

Let me caution you about one thing. At first I used a stock length shock. Had terrible bump steer because I had no shock travel. I had to go to a shorter shock and extended shock towers. Once I did that, I had no more bump steer. Just for info.....I learned the hard way.

If I can help, just shout.

Lynn

I build Toyota rock crawlers, so I can give you some info on these boxes. Im not too sure on the 2wd boxes, but on the 4x4 boxes 79-85 use what we call a push pull box. Pitman arm rotates front to back. In 1986 Toyota 4x4s went to IFS. The boxes changed and the pitman arm rotated side to side. These are the boxes people use to put cross over steering on there straight axled Toyota's. 1986-1988 are the short boxes and 1989-1995 are the long boxes. I hope that info helps someone.

How do you tell a long box from a short one? My truck is on a Toyota frame, I bought a front clip cut off for the box and steering {power box}. I'd like to know a good guess as to the year of the box and maybe the frame.

I build Toyota rock crawlers, so I can give you some info on these boxes. Im not too sure on the 2wd boxes, but on the 4x4 boxes 79-85 use what we call a push pull box. Pitman arm rotates front to back. In 1986 Toyota 4x4s went to IFS. The boxes changed and the pitman arm rotated side to side. These are the boxes people use to put cross over steering on there straight axled Toyota's. 1986-1988 are the short boxes and 1989-1995 are the long boxes. I hope that info helps someone.

Thanks for the info, I ended up picking up one of the 4x4 boxes, probably have to make my own pitman arm, or finding one that fits the bill when I get that far...

cb4e08c5.jpg

This is the shorter 86-88 box. It's about 8 1/2-9 inches long

Measured my box this morning, looks like it's a short box, so it's a 86-88 one then. That will help when I start ordering suspension parts. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back