Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a couple of pics of progress over the weekend. Will post more tommorow

Attachments

• frame rear.jpg
    frame rear.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 160
  • frame rear 1.jpg
    frame rear 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 156
Wanna race?????

Sorry I havent posted lately been busy working. Well its on the ground and i have had to make some changes due to sitting and looking at it alot. Sorry guys I wish i could have went with the straight axle but didnt have the cash to go that route. Hope yall dig it because IIIIIIIIIIIII do. Have pics of work in progress and will post them when i have some more time so here are some pics of where I am at as of Today. Planning on using 2 metal jerry cans as gas tanks mounted in rear of bed.

Attachments

• 04-20-09_rear frame.jpg
    04-20-09_rear frame.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 129
  • 05-23-09_.jpg
    05-23-09_.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 05-23-09_front view.jpg
    05-23-09_front view.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 05-23-09_Front w frame.jpg
    05-23-09_Front w frame.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 05-23-09_RF w hood.jpg
    05-23-09_RF w hood.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 206
"Sam_Fear I skimmed back through your build, but must have missed it. What happened to using the race car frame?"

Sam The racecar was nearly 20" wider than the truck cab. Would have had to cut the car to pieces. Found it would be easier and cheaper to build a new chassis. So far I have 90.00$ in the build. Mr george came by last week and you should have seen the look in his eyes when he saw it. Kinda cool when you get a chance to bring something back to life that he drove over 60 years ago.

Yeh, Got my eye on a old plymouth. I need to finish this build first. Dont like to have too many projects at one time. Its all there, just need to throw a big body on it. It seems there are alot of old racers out there wanting to or doing the same thing. Glad to hear from you. We need to start a thread on it. Thanks for the support guys.

Wow that is coming along great! i really like the stance. i cant wait to see it ready to go. This thing is really going to look mean!

Got the motor in as i said in earlier post and here are the pics. Set the motor back 5" from #1 cyl to upper ball joint. Got the front mounts tacked in place still have to do the rear. I am not sure if i should put cab as far up against the motor or move towards the rear. Whatya think? With motor back that far weight % should be close to 50% front to rear. Also wish i could think of a different front end to cover it all up. Should have more than enough leg room inside for pedals.

Attachments

• 05-30-09_engine drop.jpg
    05-30-09_engine drop.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 204
  • 05-30-09_engine drop 2.jpg
    05-30-09_engine drop 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 05-30-09_engine drop f.jpg
    05-30-09_engine drop f.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for the response buds. Not alot of people where i live so dont really get a chance to talk or show the rat much. Heck yeh I am gonna scale it. Lookin for 51 rear and 49 front. LOL. Split the nose %. Dont get me started wrong forumn for that. Found it would be easier to do this with a new frame and get a really big old car for the racecar chassis. What ya think about 2 jerry cans in the bed for fuel tanks. I got 2 of them with ARMY and a star on both that are original. Faded and all.It is an approved container also.Thanks again

That would work, they make a cap that has a pickup in it so you can run straight from the can. Here's a good deal on one.

eBay Item number: 370207433216

Hey Tired
Couldn't hit the link? That would make it easier but I had thought about going through the bottom and plumbing it straight in so it would look as if they were just sitting in the back. Thanks any way. Got a friend of mine that has a 6 wheeler army vehicle that he uses for a monster truck. Will look for some pics of it. Its a monster. It has true monster truck tires underneath it.

OK, picture this,
Its hot as H3LL in my shop. Sweat pouring down my face. Dirt on my back and shoulders and left side of my face from welding motor mounts in, I am sitting in my rod for the first time on a stool sweating my aZZ off daydreaming. A grown man. I dont care what you say now thats funny. I was amazed at how much head and leg room I had. I have a bum left leg(cant bend it) and had concerns on clutch placement.

OK
Well CRAP!!!
After sitting and looking for a while I have come up with the decision to cut 8" out of the length of the frame. The tires arent close enough to the back of the cab as i wanted. I have the motor 6" back from ball joint. Already done motor mounts so dont want to move the engine back. Had a piece of 1 1/2 rolled tubing and used it for 3rd menber link attachment. Have to make rear coilover brackets.

Attachments

• 06-10-09_1904.jpg
    06-10-09_1904.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 06-10-09_1905.jpg
    06-10-09_1905.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 06-10-09_1906.jpg
    06-10-09_1906.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 06-10-09_1922.jpg
    06-10-09_1922.jpg