Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
way too sanitary and well engineered! I think you should just give it to me and start over.

Thanks allot. Its getting there. I am ready to get this truck on the road and track. Things should go pretty quick now. Yeh it does look too clean but i think the chop i did will make up for it. As for giving it to you let me think on it.

Your's is a terrific project. Lots of details that those of us without a track racing background are getting to see for the first time. It's great to see a hot rod that is well built and different and very, very cool.

Your's is a terrific project. Lots of details that those of us without a track racing background are getting to see for the first time. It's great to see a hot rod that is well built and different and very, very cool.

Thanks allot for your input. When i started looking on this site I wanted the rat look and still do. When i look at it that is what i see a hot rod not a rat rod. A little disappointed in that but maybe when i get body parts on it will come around. I might not like it and want to trade it for a more traditional style rat. Am i kidding myself, if I didn't build it then where is the fun in that. LOL Thanks again

maybe i worded it wrong. More interesting in old automotive technology. Thanks Sam .

I understand what you are saying but I still like the race flavor that you have incorporated into this project. I'm going to use a bit more old technology in my upcoming project as well.

Just an update on whats going on in the ole shop. Got motor on stand and pulled pan and everything sill looks good. Poped one of the valve covers off and it also looks good. Plans are to paint it chevy orange. Will put some pics up for ya in a couple of days. This stuff used to be top secret when we were runnin in circles. Mr George came by and checked it all out and liked it allot. We sat for about 1.5 hrs and talked bout hot rods and racin. Back in 69 he built the local racetrack here and still enjoys being around it.

WOW

Just found this thread today and I've gotta hand it to you, Amazing job. Will be a killer when it's drivable. I will definately by watching your build. Keep it up the great work. :)

I've been following this build for a while and I can honestly say you have created a masterpiece![cl I love the work on the frame, speaks quality. Almost a shame to hide it under a body. Keep up the good work and please don't forget the pics!:D....CR

Check this Giant rat I found killin some time. Its a monster!

Attachments

• Big Rat.jpg
    Big Rat.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 134
Wow! Thanks for posting this picture. Looks like at least part of it started out as a fire truck, but what make/year? Looks like you could run over something (small house) and not even notice.

I read through your build, I like your styling. I see we had some of the same problems.LOL One dilemma I had was my steering column got moved and wasnt centered to my gauges drove me crazy so I cut it and moved it over 3in. When I saw your pic it brought back memories.LOL

Attachments

• 10-04-09_1602.jpg
    10-04-09_1602.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 76
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 71
I read through your build, I like your styling. I see we had some of the same problems.LOL One dilemma I had was my steering column got moved and wasnt centered to my gauges drove me crazy so I cut it and moved it over 3in. When I saw your pic it brought back memories.LOL

Thanks , Now you got me thinking. Looks like more work for me. Might move it over. Thanks again for checkin it out.

Wow! Thanks for posting this picture. Looks like at least part of it started out as a fire truck, but what make/year? Looks like you could run over something (small house) and not even notice.

I know the back is all wood. It has 2 V 12 . Will try and find it again and put a link up. It was for sale at an auction out in the mid west.

Gettin Closer!! got motor and tranny cleaned up and painted. Rebuilt clutch also while i had it apart. Set it all in place and started working on battery lines and fuel lines. Here are some shots. Feel like things should go a little quicker now. Going to rebuild carb this weekend and fire it up. Looking foward to see how it sounds with this type of headers. Have always run 180degree headers.

Attachments

• 3-31-10 B.jpg
    3-31-10 B.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 3-31-10 C.jpg
    3-31-10 C.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 112
  • 3-31-10 D.jpg
    3-31-10 D.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 3-31-10 A.jpg
    3-31-10 A.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 105
  • engine a.jpg
    engine a.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 89
Like the look. Very nice detail and craftsmanship.

Never did understand the linkage configuration on the rear axle. Do you have a good picture of that now that it's all together? Looked like a four link but with something extra off from the top of the differentail

Keep the updates and pictures coming. Not doing much on mine right now, but you are keeping me motivated until I get back to it in a couple of weeks.

The top bar is a Dampner. It regulates pinion angle. It produces foward bite during acceleration. I have an adjustable one with springs that give you a softer launch. A 9010 shock with spring is what most use on asphalt. My other car had a bar that was 32" long. Farther you can get it towards the front the more downforce you have on it. Will get ya some pics in a few days.

Its ALIVE!!!! Well i got all the wires figured out , new plug, wires, rebuilt carb,oil,filter,cleaned cap and button,replaced rev limiter in MSD box. Had a fuel line leak on one of the AN fittings. Got that fixed.
Oil preasure-CHECK
Fuel-CHECK
Ignition-CHECK
Fire extinguisher-CHECK
We have liftoff.
I think i need some mufflers. Have never ran these type of headers always 180 degree headers. Sounds like a Ground Pound-in top fuel. As soon as i can get a video of it i will post it on here.
Need to get a fan belt, cant seem to find the old one i took off. Go figure. Once i get that i will be able to set timing and adjust carb. Running 70s and 80s jets but dont think i will need that for the street. Carb is a 750 dbl pumper.

Latest posts

Back