Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's going SLOW...lol! If I will quit playing in the rock buggy for a while, I might be able to get some work done on it. Not far from putting it on the ground. Will post up some pics when she's on her own shoes!

I was thinking of saying the windshield posts look like a bowlegged cow girl but I haven't finished my chop yet so I should just keep my mouth shut..... Did I just say that out loud?! DOUH!! Think think say, think think say. :D

I HATE BODY WORK. Tell ya what, I will build anybody a frame like mine if they will fix my mess of a cab! If i didnt have so much work in this junk i would trash it and get another, even if i had to drive out west! Can ya tell i am frustrated? My a post are mucked up and i glassed over them and yep its kinda like puttin makeup on an ugly girl. Shes still ugly. But anyway here are some shots of it so far. Oh yeah the motor is runnin great and havent gotten a video yet for ya.

Hey ANNAMEL...It doesn't look that bad, but if it bothers you too much get the sawsall out and cut the windshield posts lose and cut a couple pie cuts , weld it up. It's just metal, you can fix. ..then post pictures...[P

It's just metal, you can fix. ..then post pictures...[P

Like he said - it's just metal. Get back on it and don't rush it. Have patience and give yourself time. It can be fixed. Any direction of a plan yet?

How's the rest of the chop line up?

Thanks guys. The rest looks good and am very happy with it. Did some kitty hair glass work and think it might turn out alright. I am a welder not a body man though. Minus the bowlegged cow girl look. I knida like bowlegged cow girls. Been workin my but off at a shut down at a paperplant (16 hr days).
So i call up someone to come and tow my F250 to the shop to get fixed and when i get home i notice my 41 cab is on the ground from outside my shop, not where i left it so i ventured in the shop and my rat rod was off the stands ,on the chassis,on the ground with the front slid over about 8 ft with black marks on the front. Called the towing company and said What the **** happend? He said " Oh I had a accident while i was pulling your truck on the roll back the chain came off and went from one end of your shop to the other" Need i say i was pretty upset on the phone. My steering rack land on a stand and bent it pretty good. Everything else looked ok Oh yeh and the bottom of the cab was bent pretty good, Like i need more body work HUH. If i need know them so well i would make them fix everything. Enough about that. Gonna work on it this weekend and clean up the shop. Dont know about the truck yet. Thanks again. I consider all of you good friends and if i can ever help ya let me know.

With friends like that....

Lets just assume he didn't want to PYO while you were at work and couldn't do anything about it anyhow.

Dang man! That sucks! Seems like they would have at least called ya and let ya know. Well keep up the good work and get her back in line!

I think that falls under "you owe me BIG time now" section. Stuf like that is always one of my nightmares. Hope it all works out in the end.

Will make it short. He got my RADIATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!*#&*#$*&. Cranked it today and built a lil heat and my rat took a leak on my leg. Will stop by his shop tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

Got my new rad in and back on schedule. Hopefully going to set the cab in a couple of weeks.Cutting driveshaft this week and puttin it in. Will show some pics when i get the cab set. Been checkin out other build alot of new ones and some great work being done out there and being seen on this site.

Man, I really like your build.

A qustion: I have a set of racing upper A arms that use a steel sleeves on an aluminum cross shaft. They are greasable. Do you think that setup would wear too fast on the street?

Man, I really like your build.

A qustion: I have a set of racing upper A arms that use a steel sleeves on an aluminum cross shaft. They are greasable. Do you think that setup would wear too fast on the street?

I wouldnt think so. You wont be putting near the tension on the street as would on the track. Also the range of motion would be less. Hope this helps ya. Thanks for checkin it out.

ANNAMEL,
A couple more questions. Did you build anti-dive into the upper A Arm mount? Are you able to adjust caster? On the lower A arms, is the real leg set at a specific angle or is that up to the builder? How did youe determine the length and angle of that arm? Or, do you know of a racing web site that I could get answers from?
What is the length and spring rate of your front springs?

Your build is absolutely facinating! I can't wait to see video of it carving some corners.
Thankyou for any information you can provied.
Bob

i feel bad that i haven't commented on this build yet....:eek:

but it is really turning out awesome:cool:[cl

[P ...looking forward to seeing more......[P

ANNAMEL,
A couple more questions. Did you build anti-dive into the upper A Arm mount? Are you able to adjust caster? On the lower A arms, is the real leg set at a specific angle or is that up to the builder? How did youe determine the length and angle of that arm? Or, do you know of a racing web site that I could get answers from?
What is the length and spring rate of your front springs?

Your build is absolutely facinating! I can't wait to see video of it carving some corners.
Thankyou for any information you can provied.
Bob

Your lower strut arm is the first one to locate. The straight one with the ball jount on it. That determines your wheel base to the back tire. It comes out at 90 Deg from the frame. On it there is a welded bracket that has two holes at a angle that you bolt the other one that goes back at an angle. those are you two pivot points for the lower. You have a adjustable on the lower rod mainly for squaring up the car.
After you have located the lower now you determine the upper with a plumbob and ball joint. Length of the upper will determine camber.
I try and pre set miy upper wth 3 deg caster(upper ball joint towards back of car(negative) and fine tune it with shims. When placing the upper you need to know ride height of the frame . That will determine you upper length.

As far as springs and length i went with as short as i could get 10 3/4 eye to eye fully extended and am going to try a couple of 700lbs at first.. Not sure what the car is going to weigh. Roundy round weight 2300 dirt 2800 asphalt. I have a diagram that i will try and post for ya that might help. Not very good at explainging this so i help it helps ya.

Latest posts

Back