Ratty 46 Ford Cpe. redo......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...Don of donsrods fame has come & he is now well into the state of Fla. We packed up all the takeoff parts, which I will not be using, and I directed him towards the Fla. on-ramp.

Anyone that knows him ALREADY knows he's a stand up guy & for the ones that have not had the pleasure of meeting him I wish that you do/can.

Now back to the ratty 46.......

The pix are the fruits of my labor of Saturday. I got the car indoors after a short couple month rest out front of the shop (Sheppard Race Cars). I've remove the complete driveline (which is what donsrods ended up with) and got the car up on the stands to evaluate the framework that will be needed to add the fab9/4 link/coil over rear & the tube arm/coil over front section.

I also procured a 67mm turbo, wastegate & intercooler for the SBC. I've also FINALLY decided that a muncie 4 speed trans will be running behind it.

So with no more delay.....I've also added a pic of the XLR8 Caddy Outlaw 10.5 car that Sheppard is almost finished - for a customer in Mo.

Picture1382.jpg

Picture1383.jpg

Picture1384.jpg

Picture1385.jpg

Picture1387.jpg

Enjoy.

Ratty 46

Thanks for the update Ratty 46. The Ford looks like she wants her new suspension. Sounds like it's going to be fast too. And the Cadi, what can I say.....it's BAD!! Look at the size of the turbo in the fender well on that thing :eek:.

Hey Gastrick....... there is another one of those turbos hanging off the otherside too. It has a LARGE 600+ CI BBC with electronic FI & 2 intercooled HUGE turbos. I believe the power will be transmitted via race prepped powerglide. It also sports a 1-off carbon fiber front end, wheel tubes, hood, dash & trans blanket - WOW - can you say EXPENSIVE! 1/8 mile times will be in the 4's I'm told (if they can get the 1800+ HP to the ground).

As for my ride...... a little more thoughts on the underside & it's cutting time.

I will post progress as it comes along...

Ratty 46

Well now that Don of donsrods fame has come & picked all his parts up I am shifting gears & starting the balance of the tear down & ready for the suspension upgrades...along with the engine/trans change.

Off to ebay will be complete the removed 46 ford steering colum with shift linkage, box & frame mount, complete brake/clutch pedals, linkage & master cylinder along with a battery tray & mounting brackets....

Now the updated pix:

Picture1392.jpg

Picture1393.jpg

Picture1394.jpg

Picture1406.jpg

The last pix is some of the goodies I've been stashing for this build. More to come.

Ratty 46

Yes.... I haven't even unwrapped the Chassis Works front & rear suspension stuff.

Plans tomorrow will be to remove the rear spring attachment brace & to cut the rear floor out for the rear 4 link coil over. I will sew it back in when that is all finished.

As for the floors.... yes the tops look as good as the bottom.....surface rust only. The top side still has all the ford factory paint!!

I hate to cut into it but.....this is what I got the car for in the first place....

Ratty 46

Although not much progress it is actually progress....... I removed the section of metal over the old rear end housing. Next is the rear spring X bracket. This will enable me to run the 4 link up into the car & because it's hehind the rear seating & in front of the trunk space (after a bulkhead will be installed to keep the compartments seperate) it will not be seen from inside the vehicle. We are shooting for a level 5 inch clearance from the ground to the rockers. No air ride will be used - although thought about.
I will not have an issue with exhaust running under the car as it will exit out of the passenger front fender - ala the outlaw 10.5 turbo cars.

Picture655.jpg

Picture656.jpg

Picture657.jpg

I'm sure more floor will need to be removed.....

Ratty 46

Well..... most know that I've be plugging alone with my build & I was a long time getting inside to start the tear down which gave me additional time to "study" the interior design I was wanting. Initial thoughts where GM car/SUV/truck seats & recover the rear..... I've bought three (3) sets so far (which are all now 4 sale) - leahter, cloth, leather in three (3) different colors......and have had a revelation of sorts....

My plan was to utilize aluminum door panels & kick panels & cover them in high grade grass wallpaper. I thought it would look "tiki" or "surf" for a 50's early 60's look.

My plan has changed & I'm in the process of finalizing designs for 2 front buckets, 1 rear bench, a bulkhead in the trunk, side panels in the trunk, door & front & rear kick panels in "bomber motif" aluminum & rivets.

I've already started on the dash (I've welded up most holes & will finish it) and will use the "classic" bomber guages & besels they just came out with:

AircraftPanelforWeb.jpg

I've yet to see a post-WWII car with this style (and maybe for a reason) but I'm going to fly with it...

I've found a talented guy here in my area that already does the seats & risers:

almnseats.jpg

and he'll be taking measurements for all the other panels. Personally I think it's going to look the tits!

Your thoughts??

I also just got the word that a certain RRR member just finished up my kustom hood orny - (thanks Jeff).

Ratty 46

Last edited:
D*** Paul, I somehow missed all of the updates until now! :( You've really been plugging along pretty well. It had to be scary cutting into that virgin tin in the floor..........what's the old saying, "it takes a man to cut one up?" :D

I like the new stuff you are putting under there and the gauges and seats. Bet we see you at Billetproof next March, if you keep busting your tail like this.

Gonna make sure I keep checking back so I don't miss any more updates.

Don

Well of course I like bomber seats and rivets and such. :D Those seats are similar to the units I have in my coupe. We were just checking out those new gauges in a recent ad. I like them.

Thanks....

I know you see lots of these seats in earlier rods but the dude that's doing mine will do them to match the size of the cpe. Also the rear seat will wrap into the rear under window kick panels & the trunk tin will be all dsuz'd in.

I may have a drawing/rendition in a few weeks of my ideas.

Which keeps me focused on the finished product. I'll attempt to keep everyone in da loop.

I aslo am thinking about removing the door vent window & going with 1 window.

We shall see.....

Oh....... and I sold the rest of my "stuff" that Don didn't need: steering column, pedals, gas tank, 4.5 red wheels, etc.

Now moving FORWARD>

Ratty 46

No pix tonight.....I was under the gun to get some progress done...

Removed the rear spring X member from the frame - this will enable me to start the 4 link coil over install after some frame plates are welded in. I had to cut this out as the body is still attached to the frame & dispite the removal of the rivets it had NO intention of coming out from between the frame rails.

Front stock X members next. I've already air hammered the rivet heads off now it's on to the drilling out process. I figure someone can probably use this down the road.

All suspension parts are in, I think, but additional items will be purchased to totally finish the install.

I've got a slight hookup at American Racing Wheels so the salt flat wheels may be in the works.

I'll have pix this weekend as more work will be done.

Ratty 46

The race shop has had a lot of "on site" race work so the shop has been closed & I've had a few bike related pojects to complete in the eve after my day job.

I'm back at it. As soon as the front X member is removed, along the center of the main frame X-member I can start going back with tubing.

I'll have some pix this weekend.....

ratty 46

NOTE: I've already got my room for Billet Proof - DO YOU???

This week was not a banner week for progress. Although some missing pieces were procured:

#1 - a currie built 9" third member with a detriot locker & 4:11 gears. The previous owner said only a few 100 miles in his jeep cause he replaced with late gm corporate 10.5 set up. I was glad to take it off his hands for ........ $350.00!!!!!

#2 - A custom piece ..........that I had a fellow RRR member (Bonehead) make for me. It is a work of art...... and I appreciate it!! This was not one in his regular "comfort zone" as I had sent his my original 46 hood orny & he had to duplicate one of my liking. He did just that.

Pix of both up tomorrow when I've got the time.

Ratty 46

Ah........progress.

I spent some time on the car the other day and am pleased with the progress. I was able to remove the center frame X member & front spring X member. I was also able measure up the replacement C channel that will run front to back on the same side attaching to the points that I left of the remaining X member. You'll see.....

As soon as those parts are bent up for me I'll be in the REBUILDING stages of construction - YaHoo!!!!

Now the pix:

Picture1433.jpg

Picture1429.jpg

Picture1430.jpg

Picture1431.jpg

Ratty 46

I like the way you are doing it R46. I did a 48 before and I ended up removing the entire X and making a tubular replacement because the rear part of the X where it attaches to the frame rails was conflicting with my rear suspension mounting points. It was a big tire car.

Paul, the way you are doing the X member is exactly what Rod and Custom did years ago on a '36 project car they built with an AMC motor and four speed. It opened up the entire center section of the frame so there was no interference with the transmission. Great way to do it.

Looks like you are making pretty good progress.........more than I am with the parts I got from you. :eek::D

Don

Latest posts

Back