reserections

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsshed37

Banned
anyone have any pics or stories of dragging vehicles out of the woods,unearthed from the ground, cut out of the brush?
going to dig a 31-32 chevy five window coupe shell out of the frozen ground tomorrow morning in conn. cant wait! ill have pics tomorrow![ddev

Attachments

• 100_0894.jpg
    100_0894.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 141
1931 chevy that i salvaged the cab from in mass. was on an apple orchard and use to take product into boston

Attachments

• my new 32 005.JPG
    my new 32 005.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 116
I live in eastern Oregon and bought a 42' Chevy for $200 by Yreka California in a little place called Hawkinsville. My dad and I drove down there together to get it and I had an appointment with the guy I bought the car from. When we got to Hawkinsville I began to hear the faint sound of banjos playing and was wishing I was wearing a chastity belt. I have never seen a more tempting place to look at projects there were real solid tri-five Chevies and many other mostly 50's and 60's cars and trucks. It was hard to find the guy's house but we finally did and no one was there except an old lady but she said to go ahead so we loaded it. There was a really solid 55' Chevy 210 2 door post that he blew the motor on and pulled the front clip and had it in the inside of the car, of course he would not sell it. There was a rough 57' Chevy sedan delivery there and a 55' Chevy 2 door wagon for $800. He also had a nice 70' Cutlass also. He had a gold mine. When we were loading the car we were afraid of being shot the whole time. I felt like we were stealing the car , but just before we took off the guy showed up. He was huge and kind of scary but turned out to be nice and gave me the bill of sale. He even held the second $200 car for 3 years until I could pick it up. When dad and I woke up the next morning it was dumping snow in June and we had to pull the trailer home about 600 miles in the snow. Real fun experience looking back on it and lots of people asked about it on the way home. It is now a driving car and has been worth all that has went into it. I have pics but they are not digital so I have none except what it looks like now. Hope you enjoy the long story.

Attachments

• pics 1 2 10 198.jpg
    pics 1 2 10 198.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 37
  • pics 1 2 10 203.jpg
    pics 1 2 10 203.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 35
nice you are getting it. i saw your post asking about it. what was the final price?
get back diggin this 32 out today! nothin gets me more excited![ddev

Attachments

• 32 coupe mine! 006.jpg
    32 coupe mine! 006.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 32 coupe mine! 009.jpg
    32 coupe mine! 009.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 66
were i got it are two model a trucks that he might be getting rid of soon too. not much useable on them other than headlights and front axles

Attachments

• 32 coupe mine! 005.jpg
    32 coupe mine! 005.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 106
two drivers doors some one might be able to use. If you go back take better pics of the trucks cowl,dash,doors there may be more there than meets the eye for the right person or the right price.

i paid 200 for the chevy coupe and 45 min with a pick ax in the frost! he has nothing else besides the two trucks. they are wasted. doors are gone,tops sides bottoms etc. tree crushed one truck. ill let you guys know

my 51 vertible chevy started out pretty ruff

Attachments

• 08-10-08_1614.jpg
    08-10-08_1614.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 47
  • rattruck4.jpg
    rattruck4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 08-10-08_1846.jpg
    08-10-08_1846.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 08-10-08_1441.jpg
    08-10-08_1441.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 08-10-08_1439.jpg
    08-10-08_1439.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 41
I'm building a fenderless 53 GMC. I am planning to cut my top off also. How much structural integrity did the cab loose when you cut it? Is there much flex in the cowl and rear of the cab. Did you re-enforce it any? I like this look but have some reservations about cutting the roof off. Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have no pics of what this looked like when I first got it. Long story short, I drove from eastern PA to western Ohio...almost Indiana to swap a 41 Buick project for a "solid"59 Chevy truck with a spare front end to fix the only "real rust"...oh yeah it had a title too. Anyway, I get to our meeting point...I was ready to punch the idiot and turn around and bring the Buick back, but I just said unload everything before I change my mind. When I pulled this "solid" truck up on the rollback, the frame broke...then on the ride back the frame broke again where I had it tied down. When I got back home, I stewed over this for about 3 days, before I said F.....well, I just decided I was going to build this thing one way or another. A friend had a 39 Chevy truck frame he was going to cut up and scrap, but it was solid so I took that and started from there. Hung a Camaro clip on the front and an S-10 rear under the back. I had to find another cab that only the floor and cab corners were rotted out. I did use the extra frontend I got with the truck, and after much hammering and fabbing a couple new panels I used the bed and rear fenders I got originally. After all the aggravation this is what I ended up with....

apache6-1.jpg

apache5.jpg

Here are a couple as I was building it....check out the cab laying to the right of the truck in the one pic....it was real "solid"

Apache_LRear.jpg

59enginebay.jpg

Apache_Side.jpg

This is one I did just because it was cheap (so it started anyway) and absurd (definitely). '71 Olds 88 with the 455 Rocket I picked up on Craigslist for like $1200. All the power windows still workd and even the A/C! Front end was all caved in from hitting a tree or something. Long story longer - end up slammed with bags, new interior, ridiculous stereo, etc. It was alot of fun and the good people of my neighborhood were terrified of it and the drug dealer that surely drove it! Drank gas to the tune of 8 mpg in the city but it actually moved pretty good. Made my own wide whites out of the grandma tires that came on it.

Attachments

• CIMG2023.jpg
    CIMG2023.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG2038.jpg
    CIMG2038.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG2839.jpg
    CIMG2839.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG2857.jpg
    CIMG2857.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG2858.jpg
    CIMG2858.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 24
I'm building a fenderless 53 GMC. I am planning to cut my top off also. How much structural integrity did the cab loose when you cut it? Is there much flex in the cowl and rear of the cab. Did you re-enforce it any? I like this look but have some reservations about cutting the roof off. Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

my cab was shot in the cab floor cab corners and was rust out completley at the windshield.

went all to hell when i cut it up, didnt support it or any thing, me and my buddy just wanted to see what it would look like.

still planning on chopping the posts, and sectioning the cab about four inches,
also want to pancake the hood, lay back the headlights smooth the running boards, and so on..

were i got it are two model a trucks that he might be getting rid of soon too. not much useable on them other than headlights and front axles

I see headlights, grill shells, a visor, one door, maybe an upper part of a cowl, and a window frame. Oh, and don't forget the jockey! But yeah, I could see a big pile of rust dust is you try to touch any of it. Except the jockey!

All of you guys are to be commended! Takes real dedication to bring one back from the dead. Good luck Adam and don't give up! Ron you've got a "solid" truck now!!![ddev...CR

this old rambler i spotted behind my neighbors house. oddly enough its in pretty good shape minus the 3 inches of water on the floor![S

Attachments

• 100_0899.jpg
    100_0899.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 51
couple of 35-35 ford cabs we salveged from a local farmer.the deal was we could take em if we use them, but you cant sell them![S

Attachments

• 100_2539.jpg
    100_2539.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back