Right hand drive build?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwheels

I am interested in doing a right hand steer on a project i am starting on. I have done an exhaustive search on the internet and here, and just can't find much info on doing this. Does anyone have a link or thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? I have thought about an old mail jeep, but they seem to be very hard to find up here in the arm pit of the u.s. (wyoming).

Thanks, doug

The old mail jeep is the only thing I can think of although some earlier ones were on International Scout chassis too.
I just saw one of the jeeps at the crusher a couple months ago. It's gone now.

Here's a right hand drive Postal Jeep rat I saw at the GoodGuys Des Moines show. It was also at the Flying Eyeball Reunion in Davenport.

Attachments

• gg12.JPG
    gg12.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 33
I considered right hand steering on a couple cars I built. Because I was running a rack & pinion steering in back of the axle. The wheels would turn opposite to the steering wheel. I solved the problem with two bevel gears and a gear box below the steering wheel. Reverse steering. This is probably not your situation. But it was fun solving that problem.

I think i found a postal jeep steering box for $25 bucks. Think i will rebuild it and then use it for my build. The guy has a saginaw steering box too, but i don't think it is for rhd. Thanks for the ideas guys.

The subaru legacy mail car is the rack and pinion of choice , you can buy these reman at all major auto part stores although they will most likely have to order it

You can use any automotive steering box for a RHD....the box doesn't know what frame rail it's bolted to...you will have to fab a bracket to mount it on the right side but I don't think that's much of a project.

On a light car, a British RHD steering would work, too. Those should be available on Ebay UK.

Find an old LLV mail truck. They are basicly an s-10 frame with RH steering. Heres a pic of something I saw at a show last yr, dont know what he used for steerin but it was cool and differant.

Attachments

• DSCI0106.JPG
    DSCI0106.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Cycledog. I used an 87 Toyota 2WD pickup box on mine and made all the mounting to my frame. I will have to take a picture of everything but it works GREAT.

Attachments

• 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0973.jpg
    100_0973.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back