S10 and other "late model" cab builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thanks for the link, its too bad he never got it finished! I want to see more builds like this. Just radical chops, sections, channeling. There was a 53 f100 flyin around the net a while back I believe it was green with a white firewall. Wheels up by the cab and all that. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it!

Attachments

• 16.jpeg
    16.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 14.jpeg
    14.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 77
Where would your legs go? I'm 6'2" and barely have enough room in a 89 s10. Chop the top and section it, I'd be kissing my knee caps.

The grey one - use R&P and get rid of the frame horns. Since they put in a flat glass windshield, they might as well of narrowed the cowl.

Gold one - stupid exhaust, but got the wheels out front.

Green one - jeep grill works great

red & black - can't see it well. ...but I don't think the angles between the hood and body work well.

1. Move the front suspension forward and get rid of the ugly frame horns.
2. The firewall is huge! Narrow it or hide it.
3. If you run a hood, V the cab to match the hood lines.
4. Don't do stupid things like reversed headers.
5. Don't try to throw a tall 32 style grill on it. It won't match the wide body (even if it is narrowed)

There's a simple reason that truck cabs newer than the early 50's don't look right. The older truck bodies were designed with running boards and fenders that stuck out plus a hood that narrowed to the front and as a result were narrower and tapered from the rear of the cab to the front. Later truck bodies do not and just look goofy if you don't narrow them. I've seen several successful versions and some hideous ones too.... As always, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....:rolleyes:
Maybe I'm blowing my own horn, but this is what I did with a 55 second series cab. Narrowed and tapered to the front, custom cowl, custom roof etc. Lots of metal fab for sure - since the donor truck was already titled to me, no problem putting it on the road. Now, I don't drive like I'm 17 anymore but if one was to act up in front of the Man, I'm sure it's legitimacy could be in question ..... but maybe a lot of rats would also be crossing the line of legality.

Attachments

• june 16 10 rat 55 017 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 017 a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 95
  • june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 88
  • june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 94
There's a simple reason that truck cabs newer than the early 50's don't look right. The older truck bodies were designed with running boards and fenders that stuck out plus a hood that narrowed to the front and as a result were narrower and tapered from the rear of the cab to the front. Later truck bodies do not and just look goofy if you don't narrow them. I've seen several successful versions and some hideous ones too.... As always, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....:rolleyes:
Maybe I'm blowing my own horn, but this is what I did with a 55 second series cab. Narrowed and tapered to the front, custom cowl, custom roof etc. Lots of metal fab for sure - since the donor truck was already titled to me, no problem putting it on the road. Now, I don't drive like I'm 17 anymore but if one was to act up in front of the Man, I'm sure it's legitimacy could be in question ..... but maybe a lot of rats would also be crossing the line of legality.

This truck is sick... i love it!

Me three!! That is just one of the slickest hotrods I've ever seen. too bad more people don't have the vision, skills and patience to pull off a truck like that. Seems like more guys want to go for the quick and dirty build. What perfect proportions and stance (2 points that just don't get enough attention) For me, I strongly dislike the wheels stuffed up behind the cab. And the gray bumpside Ford, the cab is great but that bed just hurts my eyes, can't warm up to it.

S-10 projects

I have an unfinished S-10 project that was started in 2007. Link is in my sig. I guess it is not so fresh now that others have finished similar trucks. Perhaps the goals of the project mean as much as the metal.

I plan to drive mine back and forth to work and on trips. I don't really like car shows much and don't worry about entering them nor winning any awards (yeah, right!). I also want to be able to autocross it for fun, and drag race it for fun. So I guess I'm building it more for me to drive than for general approval.

In any case, I am having a lot of fun thinking of ideas and modifying old parts.

440shorty

Looks like a cool build! I threw a few drawings together to show my ideas. It will be work but not much more than the mods id do to an old cab. First one is just with a chop, lean the door pillars forward, custom cowl, and narrowing the cab. The second is with a chop, leaning the pillars forward, narrowing the cab, sectioning and shortening the cab 4". Easy to put on paper but putting it into metal is another story. Hopefully everything gets underway soon, im itching to build something.

Well for some odd reason it wont let me upload my pics now, ill keep trying.

Sometimes it just takes a long while. Might be easier to use a site like Photobucket and drag them over from there.

Since you plan to narrow the cab, narrow it more in the front. It'll make a huge difference.

Snagged some old tin today, should make my build that much easier and cooler!

Attachments

• 00o0o_kgBCYSp9kEq_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_kgBCYSp9kEq_600x450.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 00E0E_1aJ5CSxxl0t_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_1aJ5CSxxl0t_600x450.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
Picked up a my welder today, and hope to have my s10 cab stripped off the chassis, gutted, and in the garage in the next week or so, then ill get a build thread going. Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back