Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MIG Wire came and it works okay, Doesn't say made in China like the others I saw. It works and was priced right for 2 rolls for me. I'm back in business for a while.

Photos..These are Rear Shock extension eyes as I call them. I hate them straight threaded ends with a jerk looking mount for them. These are better as you can drill many mounting holes at different angles, giving you many more options on setting up your shocks with more or less angle or more or less control. The more options you have the better the cars ride.

Attachments

• Picture Hot Rod Photos 459.jpg
    Picture Hot Rod Photos 459.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture Hot Rod Photos 461.jpg
    Picture Hot Rod Photos 461.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture Hot Rod Photos 456.jpg
    Picture Hot Rod Photos 456.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
xxxxxxx Any one know how to shrink these darn photos I cant find it to shrink mine they are too large some of them

Attachments

• Picture Hot Rod Photos 465.jpg
    Picture Hot Rod Photos 465.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
may have found the problem with the photos uploading, think its in my camera i changed the Mp's for each photo it should do them smaller ill see next go around..

Well Christmas is over for me , so its time to get back to work in my shop on the Rod of sorts. I will see if my photo uploading troubles have ended. I made some changes in my camera and that is where i think my problems were. we will see. To day I made some metal pieces for the rear of the Car and welded them on to the rails near the trunk and fender area.. I have decided not to curve the outside pieces that are between the trunk and fender. I know my limitations and I cant duplicate all them curved pieces all the same through to the end. So I decided it does not look all that bad to put them on flat with an angle towards the fenders. I will have to live with this and thats how it will be here. This metal is taking longer than I imagined it would . But ill hang in there and get through it. I also added i one inch piece of metal in between the bottom of the rear window sill and the sheet metal. I will accommodate this change when I make the window frame of the rear window. I have some photos if they will upload here...

Photos.. New metal install

Attachments

• HPIM4676.jpg
    HPIM4676.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM4677.jpg
    HPIM4677.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM4678.jpg
    HPIM4678.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 32
Photos.. sheet metal fab

Attachments

• HPIM4681.jpg
    HPIM4681.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM4680.jpg
    HPIM4680.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM4679.jpg
    HPIM4679.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 29
Photos..They are up loading this is good

Attachments

• HPIM4682.jpg
    HPIM4682.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 36
  • HPIM4683.jpg
    HPIM4683.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM4684.jpg
    HPIM4684.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 31
Photo. We are up to date on these photos now. Everything is current from here on in. The pace will slow some as I have to wait for free sheet metal from the scrap Dump. We will put on what I have and wait for some more free sheet metal...

I will not grind off too much old paint from the sheet metal. I have a problem with water getting sucked up through my concrete floor its on gravel and has no vapor barrier. Any sudden temperature change will suck water from the floor and Ill have everything dripping with Dew. And then everything will rust. I will wait for warmer weather before I sand and grind any old paint off other than for welding. So we will have to live with the many colors of the free sheet matal , hehehe

A way of keeping the sheet metal still while using a saber saw is to use a few sheet metal screws close to the line you are cutting screw into the plywood and use a small washer under the screw so the metal does not dimple on you. This works pretty good better than using your knees to hold the sheet steel still.

Well my wife has informed me that I now have $994.12 invested in this Rod so far. Thats more than I wanted but considering the US economy and the way its been handled, I feel like a Financial genius. I will at every venue here try to save cash, with out sacrificing strength. looks may be some what different in the end... We will see what kind of Animal I end up with.

Well the cost is now $1031.12 I had to get some more steel tubing for the trunk frame fabrication. Which did not come out as nice as I thought it would have. bending the smaller pieces of tubing is tough. I had trouble bending the stuff being so short, I will live with what I get . I had a difference in measurements on the trunk opening that I screwed up earlier and now is rearing its ugly head. I will have to tweak this framing to fit as best I can because I am not buying any more tubing for this part of the build. I will piece this together to make it fit and open and close as good as I can get it. I though things were going along to smooth this ratty looking trunk lid frame is a true rat Rod piece. Photos coming..

Attachments

• HPIM4695.jpg
    HPIM4695.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 42
  • HPIM4696.jpg
    HPIM4696.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM4697.jpg
    HPIM4697.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back