Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a bunch for the encouragement ya'll! It means alot when things get slow. As I went along, I tried to remember when and where to place strategic wire pulls to get thru areas so wires don't show. So far, so good, but I missed a few and have been dealing with that. I'm an old phone man though and fishing wires is not a problem, just not much to show yet. Spent most of todays time on the 31 trying to figure a way to use the turn signal switch I have with the way I've got my lights set up. Decided to run two separate circuits to the rear. I have 1157s in the tear drops and single 1156s in the bigger "STOPS". It's either do it that way or run an adapter like the Toyotas need for trailer hookups. Still staying with simple here and just went thru some problems with those adapters on my fishin buddy's truck...don't need the hassle. Got it figured as to the how, just haven't finished hooking it all up. Probably wind up with nothing but the flasher/lights circuit going thru the old switch, but it looks vintage and I like it there. I'm still busy setting up connectors and wire lengths so that when the guage panel goes in and the holes get closed up on the dash, everything will be there at the fuse panel and devices will already be tested and wired. Sitting there with a VOM and testing everything out to the fixture. Takes time now but will be easy when the final assembly happens. Taking the plastic sheaths off all the connectors, crimping with a tool, soldering and heat shrinking and it's turning out nice that way and trying to keep it neat. I shouldn't have to ever re-do any wiring unless some unforeseen damage occurs. Most of my build has been same old, same old just building the truck, but now is the time for the personal additions to show up, especially in the cab where it will show. So far, I'm keeping things that don't look kosher in an A out of sight. I think we all strive to make it our own on these builds. We'll see when it's all done...Thanks again!

Decided to make a smaller tag light for the AA. Tapped this one out of sheet brass. Got the rear section finished as far as wiring goes. The front harness will get connected tomorrow.

Thanks E-man! Sorry about the blood and the fuzzy pic. Speared the end of my thumb on a sharp edge somewhere and you'd have thought somebody died in the mess...:rolleyes:

That's called putting your DNA into the build.
Look good smallfoot.
Torchie.

You're right Torchie! If they look close enough, they'll know this old truck is mine.

Would have finished the wiring today probably if I didn't take a side turn and make some turn signal lamps for the front. I had some I considered using but they just didn't look good to me(too big). Not sure if I like the looks of what I did yet. I wanted to take a pic of them in place and lighted up but didn't get that far. Need to connect the cab end. Here is what I did:
Some of you have probably seen these little lamps. They're called lightning bolts.

They are LED. Very small. 5/15" bolt with a round and hollow head and set up with nylon nuts. 2 wire sockets. Mine were white and I needed amber for the signal lights. Took a cariage bolt with the same size head and melted some plastic over them. Removed the plastic after it cooled and trimmed it off even with the edge of the head. Contact cemented the caps on the lightning bolts and was ready to go. I'll get installed pix tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks good to me man....

Love the "putting your DNA in to the build"....by the way ...anyone ever tell you you look like Si Robertson?? :D

When I retire, I'm growing my hair and beard....

had long hair and a beard after the Military......shaved it all off to take a different job (not turning wrenches) and never looked back...of course my present occupation won't allow it anyway so...keep it high and tight for now....won't be long till it can be long.....:D[S

I'm just hiding ugly! I did a stint in the military and another like yours back in 75/76...ever since then I can lay my chin on my arm and make myself look like two squirrels on a limb, fighting over a carrot...;)

Sorry for no recent updates! Been having computer problems. This is how those "lightning bolts" with my plastic caps looked and I wasn't thrilled.

So I tapped some mini rings out of brass...

They stayed small and they looked a little more dressed up this way.
Decided to recover my own seat too. Got a 6x8 tarp from tractor supply in buck colored 10 oz. canvas. It looks home made like the rest of the truck but I like it and it will wear well with me and my 100 pounds of teeth and claws "Buddy".

Also got my wiring all done and the dash closed up.

Thanks ya'll! The fireplace keeps my skinny butt warm. It was 29 that night. Might not be much to other areas but after laying on the concrete floor finishing up wiring, I moved the seat to the house to warm up while I worked. The wiring is all working now. I had 3 small setbacks with the whole harness. I mentioned before that one of my tail lights was off on color from the factory. Well, 2 other similar problems occured after that. I had a two way switch for the heater that wound up backwards on their colors too. Simple fix. The only other thing was the ignition switch. While doing the final checks on circuits, I turned the key to "on" positon and it activated the starter....hmmm. Started checking things but was wise enough to start at the switch. Nothing marked wrong but the solenoid position got activated with the key in the "on" position. Back to the store. Same switch this time but it worked. Got the tunes tuned in on the ratrio too! Still need to mount the seat but am currently figuring out the seat belt routing.

Wish I could tell ya'll what this seat is from. It was given to me and I have no info but hopefully lots of them are similar. I stripped all the mechanism off the hinge pieces and went to simple hinge with no latch. One of the pix gives you a shot of the hinge. It has 2 half moon slots which enable to you to position the seat back in all kinds of directions. I also trimmed another 2 inches off the width of the seat. End result was 40 inches wide.

Smallfoot, when you posted this ride, I have to admit I was skeptical about the out come.
You have totally impressed me on your build.
My hats off to you.

Latest posts

Back