soap box racer for big kids

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Vanalden 002 small.JPG
    Vanalden 002 small.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
holy crap how do u guys get away with this.... that is awsome
how long are the courses you guys use and is there ever any issues with the cops:D

The races are about a mile, give or take.
Some, like last sunday, have sharp turns and some are just real fast (up to 70mph)
We meet, disclose the location, cars and drivers first and spectators in 10 min.
Usually do 2 or 3 races.
The cops have come and they say" you cant do this"
we say "why"
They say " uh, um, just go home"
We say "ok"
They dont know how fast we really go.
Its on a different hill every month.
28 cars last sunday
everybody starts at once.

Its totally insane:eek:D

BTW 2 guys came from Phenoex Az, one from San Francisco, and one from Modesto just to race last Sunday.

We were done and giving out rewards and drinking coffee by 8:30 am

Looks like fun!!!

Dog,
That really looks like fun but the only "hills" we have here in H-town are freeway overpasses so it would not b possible to race here... I cry!!! Sure looks like fun!!! ; - >

BoB

thats awsome id like to try it some day...but as far as hills go around here...well there arnt any to speak of....one cool one thoe is south mountian
you guys would kill yourselves going down that hill its 2 lanes steep grade lots of twists and turns but you would definatly have to shut it down the car traffic is heavy

Got an email today from a writer from hotrod magizine who came to the last race and did interviews and took pictures. He even drove a car in one of the races. He has called a special race this sunday to get some better shots for his article. That should be fun.:D

Funny what makes it into a magizine, not my truck, no, its my soapbox.:eek:

You guys are nutz!!! I saw the video, been awhile since I laughed so hard. I gotta get out there to watch someday. Oh, my 31' is in this issue of Rebal Rodz and Deluxe Car Kulture. Just small pics, but it was nice.

I should also mention top speed was 52mph on this one, had to slow for the corners.

He spent 5 hrs waiting in the emergency room but had his car stripped to the frame by 5pm. I checked my watch.

note the shifter (hand brake) sticking out of my car hit the gate pole. The noise you hear in the background at the end is another car mis judging the height of his car and hit the gate, breaking the lock off. We found it on the ground.

Attachments

• hotrod photo shoot 012 (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot 012 (Medium).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 34
  • hotrod photo shoot 014 (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot 014 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 34
  • hotrod photo shoot 010 (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot 010 (Medium).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 41
  • hotrod photo shoot 011 (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot 011 (Medium).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 33
  • hotrod photo shoot 018 (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot 018 (Medium).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 32
That is one wild ride, is the camera car the white one?

Yes and no. The hotrod magizine camera car is the white one. We went slow for him. The camera that took the video is a boxter looking car. Very fast trophy winner. You cant see it in any of these pics. He drives 5 hrs one way to race with us. You can see it and many more on the official (if you can call anything connected with these guys official) web site. One of the guys is a professional video editing guy and makes some pretty good videos of every race. Check out the videos, there good.

And if you should happen to stumble across the message board, please forgive me. :eek: It is used almost exclusively for talking smack. Some of the guys get REALLY REALLY discusting. I just try to hold my own, or they wont respect me. Dont tell my mom, wife or daughter.:eek:

http://www.sfvisbf.com/

That's totally bizarre!! :eek::eek: Has to be a scarey ride going down those hills. What do you guys do about traffic control and aren't the neighbors upset when someone comes crashing into their yard or car?:D

I notice sometimes you guys use the other lane, how do you keep cars from going up when you are coming down?

Don

In the second video I posted here, the road was closed so no traffic coming at you. Note the gate across the road at the bottom. This was a little non sanctioned race. As for the property owners stuff and cars.....:eek::eek: I honestly dont know what they (the organizers) are thinking.

I decided today I am not doing this anymore.:D I did it and now I got other things to do. Most of them dont stand a great chance of hurting me. I have been thinking of quiting for some time. The car went up for sale tonight and I posted the listing on thier message board.

It was fun while it lasted (for me) but its just a matter of time before someone gets creamed. I dont want to be involved when that happens. There were 12 cars when I started, now there is 28.:eek: It is absolute mayhem when the race starts.

Maddog, out.

Latest posts

Back