soap box racer for big kids

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, although it looks like great fun, it's also surprising the local cops have been looking the other way. Someone is going to get hurt or killed (innocent bystander maybe) and then the roof is going to come down, for sure.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not chastising anyone, I've done some crazy stuff too. Just predicting what seems like an inevitable outcome. Anytime a crowd takes over a city street like that, someone is going to raise h***.

Don

Exactly. There isnt that many cops down here in the San Fernando Valley. You hardly ever see them.

Some one is gonna get hurt bad I predict. It has gotten too big for me.

Hey Mad Dog, saw your SBD car in Traditioal Rod and Culture, lots of pictures of your buddies too. (kind of looks like the beginning of the end, or the start of something big, it is hard to say)

Hey Mad Dog, saw your SBD car in Traditioal Rod and Culture, lots of pictures of your buddies too. (kind of looks like the beginning of the end, or the start of something big, it is hard to say)

There is now a chapter in Austrailia and somewhere in Oklahoma (I think).
Gonna be in Hotrod Mag in the Jan issue.

If it starts to self destruct the word is that we will just go further underground.

I posted that I was quitting and selling my car. I did sell the car for a healthy chunk of change. The SFVISBF informed me that I couldnt quit.:eek: Its like the mob, and that I'm in for life.:D So I caved in and have built another car relizing that this is the most fun Ive had since I stopped flying my ultralite airplane. (I watched 2 buddies die in just one year so I quit flying and sold my plane).

The new car is a junior dragster with the cage modified to accomadate an adult almost laying out flat. Moved the roll cage back and down. Split the live rear axle and added a 2nd disc brake. A little cardboard, masking tape, fiberglass cloth, some resin and bondo and its the most aerodynamic and safe, I might add, car to roll with the SFVISBF. The longest by a long shot measuring nose to tail 154".

Yes, I'm in for life.

Videos located on Youtube - search for SFVISB - The latest one is one of my favorites.

At the last race I had come down to the first stopsign after unloading a friends car to watch the race. I am looking up the hill waiting for the cars to come around the corner and expecting speeds of 60 mph+ as they run the stopsign where I am standing. To my suprise a cop cruzes by going up wondering what all thes people are doing on the sides of the street. He dissapears around the corner and I wait.... about 90 sec later he comes flying back around the corner coming down the hill with 34 cars about 200' behind him. The cop was doing over 60 mph when he ran the stop sign trying to out run all these cars. He pulled of on a side street about a half mile later and watched the next 2 races.:D

Attached is a pic of the cop running from the cars and my new car.

Excepting sponsorship contrubutions, but use a fake name.:D

Attachments

• Goldenrod bondo 003 (Medium).jpg
    Goldenrod bondo 003 (Medium).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Goldenrod bondo 005 (Medium).jpg
    Goldenrod bondo 005 (Medium).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Cops a runnin.jpg
    Cops a runnin.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 25
maddog that dragster certanly looks aerodynamic enough I just hope that long narrow rail can make high speed turns. The other guys will definatly need to give you some room on the corners.

maddog that dragster certanly looks aerodynamic enough I just hope that long narrow rail can make high speed turns. The other guys will definatly need to give you some room on the corners.

Its no cornering machine, thats for sure. We have some straighter high speed courses. Thats when I expect it will do its best. As far as " The other guys will definatly need to give you some room on the corners" FORGET THAT!! These guys dont play that way. I'm sure some of them are having fantisyes of smashing my fiberglass :D Underneeth all that glass is a bunch of steel to protect the tires and add some weight.

Its not the most pratical, but its the most outragous. Thats kinda my style. I dont care if I win, I just like to push the envelope. Most of the guys have not seen it yet. Some have. They will be blown away when they all see it next Sunday. :D

Yes, I got the fear.:eek: I will be driving it the first time only. Then its back to retirement as a driver. A friend is making me a shirt that says:

Been there done that, got the fear.:eek:

Believe it or not, through doing this I have landed the biggest contract to date, developing a special vehicle chassis and doing the first production run of 35 chassis. This is a ground up project all except the body. Cant tell you yet what its for but about next march it will be out in the public eye and its cool.

that whole thing is crazy but really cool. it looks like fun but i would be worried about someone getting hurt, not the drivers as there is an assumed risk when you get behind the wheel of anything but by-standers. other wise it looks like a blast, and i can understand part of the fun is having a non-sanctioned grassroots type of sport.

Congrats on the contract maddog. Looking foreward to hearing about it after march but in the meantime post the results from your inagural race. I expect the other racers are in for a big surprise when they try to tangle with that torpedo of your. Good luck.

That looks insanely fun!! The soapbox that's for sale might have been on an episode of Boyd's show. If not, then one pretty close to it. Hmm, soap box racer or another 502............have to think on that a while.:eek:

Latest posts

Back