Some may have noticed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
I haven't been around lately. My last 10 days were spent in cardiac ICU in 2 different hospitals here. I've suffered a major heart attack. Just got back home today.
First off, thank you all sincerely for all the prayers and good thoughts. In my own way, I'll lay it out just how it is. I have blockages on 2 major arteries. One is 100% blocked, the other is 90% blocked, and the positions of the blockages makes by-pass useless. Angio plasti was next for trying to restore some flow but that also was determined to be out of the question. My blood flow is reduced to approx. 25% of normal and my only method of attack will be via blood thinners in order that no more clots form. It's all I've got and I'll make the best of it. Ive decided against going for a defibrilator as it will only restart on a shutdown and return me to the same problem. I've also declined to consider heart transplant. I hope ya'll understand my choices. I'm going to be living as long as I can with what I've got and that's it. As you all know, that is how all of us should consider life. There were never any guarantees. I hope to be around for a while still, but will be trying to get my affairs in order while trying to create an even more sedate lifestyle for myself out here in my world. I will try to be around but for the next few days I have many things to do and may not be seen here for a while. Again, I pass my thanks on to all my friends here and I will be back...

Dam, I respect your decision. Not sure much else needs to be said I guess. Sure hope you'll still be around on RRR, but understand if you don't. Take care.

Yeah, sorry to ever hear of suffering. I hope you find a way to have a good quality of life. As smart as doctors are, they are very limited in treatment options. It's either drugs or surgery. Surgical procedures are wonderful technology. Drugs aren't (IMO). They almost always cause other problems (which they try to fix with other drugs). If I ever have serious issues, I'll be looking at options other than the 2 mentioned.

I had some very good doctors looking at all ways to attack the problem. All of them were also very frank and straight forward and respected my wishes. My cardiac surgeon said that he could make any kind of operation and make it look good, but declined to do anything that just wasn't going to help. Believe me, they inspected everything trying to find a way to actually make a difference, but nothing would work to restore flow in my case. I went in last Friday because of a pain that developed in my stomach area. I had been staying in bed for about a week prior thinking I had a case of flu coming on. When that pain persisted past the first day, I had my daughter take me to the hospital. Never had the pain in chest routine. Thought maybe appendacitus... This came as a surprise. But, they could not pinpoint when I had the attack. Said that I may have been living for quite some time with that flow rate. The reason I had the pain that sent me in turned out to be when clots passed into both kidneys. That pain subsided on the first day in the hospital. Outside of an event where I had adverse reaction to the dye used in the first catscan and went into defib, I had no chest pains the entire 10 day stay. My vitals maintained evenly the whole time. I've been poked and prodded, stuck with needles, cathed thru the heart, developed a bllod clot in my right arm due to and infiltration issue with the first iv. The only pains I've had were due to things that just went wrong during testing. I'm still dealing with a right arm that would make PopEye proud. I'm administering my own stomach shots. Will have some visits to make to doctors to check the levels in my on the thinners. I've been strapped to a most uncomfortable bed for 10 days straight, have had more crap pumped thru my veins in 10 days than I have had in my 64 years. I'll do what I can, but my best feeling yet was to return home today. I'm happy here...more so than anywhere else in the world and will never reappear in the hospital. Been living my life my way so long, in the end, if that is what this leads to, I'll still be doing it my way. It's quiet here. I have absolutely no stress. It's the best I can possibly do. I'm sharing this with ya'll because I have come to respect you all for what I believe are similar thoughts on general life. Smallfoot is doing it his way and I hope you understand.

Live Long and Prosper, brother. We are all with you, of course, and personally I honor and admire that you have taken your stand on the matter. May you have many more years of life and breath on this Earth, and when you get to the other side, please post and let us know how that is! :)

Respect you doing things your way. Hoping there happy things. Maybe there is a triple R in another dimension [S If so you'll find it. [cl
Good thoughts coming your way, maybe they will help a little.
Peace Bro

Smallfoot, life is like a poker game, you've got to play the cards you're dealt
cause you don't get any more. I have the same instructions in my living will and stand by you.

The only thing I really have to offer is stay as active as you can and do the things that have meaning to you and your loved ones. Don't just sit down and give up.

I'm praying for you Brother.

Thanks guys! My trip home was the absolute best thing happening in the last 10 days. When I arrived at my locked gate on the highway, my brother asked how I wanted the trip in. I told him take the long way...A mile later down my right of way, I arrived at my gate and took the long way around. Stopped to see my horse, then went by the barn and gazed at the "Nuttin Special", then on around to my house where the best heart warming event happened. My best friend Junior and my mutt Buddy waiting on me at the gate to the yard. God, what a great feeling to be home. Shortly after this meeting, we all walked down the barn as I wanted to atleast hear the rod run. Cranked it, noticed a fuel filter leak, shut down and fixed that, just a seal swap on one of the quick change filters, not a biggie! And I got gas on my hands that wiped all memories of the hospital stink off of me. Fired it up and it sounded great after getting it's throat cleared. I told my buddy Junior to take it for a ride and others there got a chance to go with. Life is good. I'm restricted from driving for only 2 days and soon I'll rip it up some myself....;)

smallfoot, so sorry to hear of your heart condition. I had a 100% blocked right main artery, up high. Docs wouldn't bypass it. I was put on time released nitro, gives you a full time dull head ache, and blood pressure medicine to slow the heart down. Then I did very mild exercise under medical supervision to develop colateral arteries. They develop when an artery is blocked and are tiny arteries that "grow" to supplement the loss of muscle nourishment caused by the blockage. I got along okay that way for a year and no doubt could have continued much longer but I found a surgeon at Mayo Clinic to perform the bypass.
Every person is different physically and psychologically and what worked for me might not be right for you. I respect your decision to manage your heart problem as you desire.

Your friend,

Bob

Sorry to hear that. Glad you are still here to toss your 2 cents in. Keep the good attitude.

smallfoot, so sorry to hear of your heart condition. I had a 100% blocked right main artery, up high. Docs wouldn't bypass it. I was put on time released nitro, gives you a full time dull head ache, and blood pressure medicine to slow the heart down. Then I did very mild exercise under medical supervision to develop colateral arteries. They develop when an artery is blocked and are tiny arteries that "grow" to supplement the loss of muscle nourishment caused by the blockage. I got along okay that way for a year and no doubt could have continued much longer but I found a surgeon at Mayo Clinic to perform the bypass.
Every person is different physically and psychologically and what worked for me might not be right for you. I respect your decision to manage your heart problem as you desire.

Your friend,

Bob

Thanks Bob! I had actually had that happen on one of my blockages too. It made it's own bypass. Trying to keep the humour present, I told the doctors "hell, if I had known it would fix itself, I would have never come here" That got mixed reviews....:rolleyes::D

Sorry to hear that Small, just don't overdo it and live life one day at a time. Pace yourself and don't let the little crap bother you. No telling how long you have been living like this and you have been doing just fine. Now get out and burn some rubber and drive it like you stole it!

Smallfoot, life is like a poker game, you've got to play the cards you're dealt
cause you don't get any more. I have the same instructions in my living will and stand by you.

The only thing I really have to offer is stay as active as you can and do the things that have meaning to you and your loved ones. Don't just sit down and give up.

I'm praying for you Brother.

This is what I was going to say as well, don't stop, keep on trucking. Take care of yourself, don't shut down or give up. Best of luck to you and I do really respect your choice.

Thanks to all! I'm not giving up....I'm a hard old bird and too pig headed to let much bother me. I've got great support from friends and family and have been mostly up and around taking care of business today. Self medicating what I can until my numbers get right for total oral meds. I'm giving my own shots of lovenox which correct my blood to numbers that will work, and after my first follow up sometime this week those numbers will be in line so that I can quit the shots. Following instructions and doing what I can to live. But I'll tell ya'll, I've been up since 7am, slept better than I have for the last 10 days, took my meds and took off to town with my buddy Jr. to pick up some needs. I feel great although a little weak and have been up and walking most of the day without problems. With a little careful, I can live with this.... Thanks again guys for the great thoughts. I do have an attitude but it's been present all my life and that is what gets a success when I try to accomplish something....I'll be here a while....I'll bet my life on it!

Latest posts

Back