Started on the 40 Dodge PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Started on the frame today and
got the rear end put under the rear section of the frame.. waiting on leaf spring bushings so I can mount the rear hangers..

now I can make my drop

Rear2.jpg

Rear1.jpg

Real nice start man. It amazes me how many folks build there own frames here. You just don't see that too many places.

Not to whore your thread but here's a pic of a frame I'm building for a guy for a Blazer with a bodydrop and airride.

DSCN2463.sized.jpg

Can't wait to see more pics of what you have in store.

looking good

Looks like a great start, Blue. Whereabouts in Wilmington are you? We lived in Castle Hayne for three years (95-98). Were you living there then?

440shorty

Real nice start man. It amazes me how many folks build there own frames here. You just don't see that too many places.

Not to whore your thread but here's a pic of a frame I'm building for a guy for a Blazer with a bodydrop and airride.

DSCN2463.sized.jpg

Can't wait to see more pics of what you have in store.

Dang nice frame jig ya got their sakutoms!

Frame looks good so fare blue ,what typ of leaf springs are those???

Frame looks good so fare blue ,what typ of leaf springs are those???

They are from a 85 Jeep CJ7..
I figure it's about the right width for a rod, and a fairly light vehicle in the rear,
so I hope to get a decent ride without removing any springs from the pack..

I have my fingers crossed.. lol

Thanks tom. Blue, are you gonna add any gussets for the spring hangers? Can't wait to see more.

I thrive on pics.. lol

I am going to cut some 1/4" wall 1x1 square stock and run a piece between the frame and the hanger itself, so it will be welded to the frame, hanger, and the 3" piece above it..

I am going to add some 3/16" wall 2x2 stock cut at 45deg on the ends to triangulate between the corners of the bed and again on my drop to the
low part of the frame (where the cab is going to sit)

I'll have more pics up after lunch..

I hope to have the frame done today, other than a few gussets.

On the CJ springs, just some info. I started with Wrangler springs and ended up bending them. I had trouble with axle wrap too. And the reason I asked about a C notch is that there was more drop on the spring when I added the bed and cab than I expected. I had made the front spring mount adjustable with the gusset for the Z in the frame. Ended up raising it as far as it would go. After I bent them I used a heavy 2 inch jeep lift spring, then I changes the front spring mount to a higher hole. Now I am having no problems but it rides a little harder. I hope this info helps.

I am going to cut some 1/4" wall 1x1 square stock and run a piece between the frame and the hanger itself, so it will be welded to the frame, hanger, and the 3" piece above it..

I am going to add some 3/16" wall 2x2 stock cut at 45deg on the ends to triangulate between the corners of the bed and again on my drop to the
low part of the frame (where the cab is going to sit)

I'll have more pics up after lunch..

I hope to have the frame done today, other than a few gussets.

Sounds good. Definitely can't wait to see those progress pics.

Blue, Lookin good. Jeep stuff should work fine. Is the rear end a dana or amc 20. Keep us posted with pics.

AMC 20 :eek:

It was free so I am going to see how long it lasts before I change to on piece axles....

This is going to be an odd build... because most of the parts are free or real cheap..

My choice in front ends is going to be a surprise, but I hope it looks good when it's done..

So far I have the frame material, front end/suspension, rear end/suspension, 4 wheels, (not the ones pictured on the rear end now) an engine and transmission, a fuelcell, battery, 40 Dodge cab, and a 31 Model a grill, and I only have $744 into it so far :D

Well break is over... I'll do more at lunch

Frame1.jpg

Frame2.jpg

I hope to get the front end under it today at lunch... and then start adding gussets..

Looks like I am getting good penetration though..

Weld.jpg

Looks like some real good work. I wish we had more room at the shop. I have so many projects.. :(

Nice progress. Can't wait to see the frontend setup.

Eric

Latest posts

Back