Started on the 40 Dodge PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a roller now..

Leaf spring bushings came in today, so I can now make some rear hangers..

I also need to gusset the frame, and I think shape some faux frame horns for the front.. ;)

Roller.jpg

do i see a vee-dub front beam......i like it!

easy to maintain and raise or lower good steering!
but....what kind of engine are you gonna put in it?

do i see a vee-dub front beam......i like it!

easy to maintain and raise or lower good steering!
but....what kind of engine are you gonna put in it?

Why yes it is...

Roller2.jpg

I'm going to run a 350 in it... I was a bit worried about the weight, but I see sandrails running small blocks with the torsion tube front ends, so I figure there is a way to make it work...

One thought are those fancy chrome coilover shocks for the front of VWs..
They have an adjuster on them to crank them up if needed..
(they say "up to 700 lbs. load-carrying capacity" so I figure that's got to be somewhere around what a small block weighs right?)

If this don't work out I can always cut it off and try something else, but I liked the idea of the suspension, and steering all in one nice neat package..

Also I think once I put the grill out in front of it, and the headlights and all, you won't be seeing much of it.. We'll see how it looks when the body and grill are in place

I think it is a fine idea! Around these parts we like new and differnet, out of the box kind of thinking. Looking forward to seeing how this project comes out.

there are air ride kits that replace that shock setup then u can lift and lower accordingly....but i think you have the take out the...lil thingy(tech term)
that holds the springs in the center of the beam

I like it. It is definitely cool to see different stuff. And like you said, if you don't like it you can always cut it off. It's only metal after all.

Different is always good. Who woulda thunk to use a vee-dub front end & steering ? Should work fine.

it would be cool to see what the engine and tranny weighs together with fluid

A TH350 weighs in at 120 pounds without a converter and the small block weighs about 575 pounds depending head/intake material and accessories.

The total 350/350 combo with fluids typically weighs in at approx. 750 pounds.

There was a time back in the '70's when there were articles on installing these front ends in rods. They kinda faded from popularity and I am not sure if the reason was that they didn't work well or what. Like you said, you can always change it if you don't like it.

Don

Happy Thanksgiving :D

I woke up early and went to work to finish the frame...

welded in a bunch of gussets... should be enough.. lol

Rolling1.jpg

Gussets1.jpg

Gussets2.jpg

Box What Box?

Another fan checking in . Nice work my brother ratrodder. Every body here is out of the box ,some a little further out but all are doing it their way. When I see a build like this and many others , it makes me wonder just what is the agenda of the anti rat guys. LFE

Thanks guys..

I almost forgot....

The truck has been moved to my friends house where I'll be removing the cab
(he wants the rest of the truck)

Truck.jpg

This is the part I want :D

Cab.jpg

Latest posts

Back