Started the chop today!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harleyboy, you might check on a S10 blazer rearend, it's wider than the 2wd S10 rear, will bolt right in, and some are posi, and have decent ratios.

HB, the expert who is advising me on my '50 GMC build uses '70-'81 Camaro/Firebird and '78-'85 Impala rear ends. He's built dozens of these trucks.

Got a chance to finish the top today. I finally got that ugly gap closed up over the drivers door. Tomorrow I will finish the drivers door top and prime the whole top. Any suggestions as to how to make it look like it did before the bondo? My plan is to try to match the blue and scuff down to the grey primer in places. Just about the whole top has a skim of mud on it so there's nothing to rust there. I've heard about powered iron so I may try some of that to match the patina of the rest of the truck. I found a 71 Chevelle rear end that is 55" from drum to drum and I think it will work ok. I'm going to put it in tomorrow and try to see if the bed will fit. I think my tires are to big also. I may need to do a mini tub. Harleyboy
These are my little helpers
IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Compare this picture to the first in this thread
IMG_1639.jpg

Proud Poppa
IMG_1650.jpg

Hey man, it looks great so far! The powdered iron sounds like a good idea. An easy place to find that would be shavings/dust from cutting rotors. I'm not a painter but maybe you would be able to mix some fine dust with some clear or something and spray on the top. Or maybe you could spray it with clear and toss some dust on it before it dries and then sand it down smooth. Just a few quick ideas but I don't know if they would work. I hope you plan on keeping the letters on the doors, they look good the way they are now.

The chop's looking good. Just my opinion, but I think you nailed the proportions perfectly.

I'm sure the little helpers were an advantage, but next time when it comes to moving or lifting the big stuff, you might want to borrow my helper

ImportedPhotos00106-1.jpg

Hey man, that is looking very cool! I am still looking for the right project to start on...I've shown the pics of yours to Penni, so she will probably blame the rat in her garage on you! LOL

looking good

top looks real good:) you could have mixed some Iron dust in with your Bondo it might have given the rusty spot look.;) Doug

The S10 lowrider that I bought for parts yielded a good 350 for my truck. I took it to a friend to run on his dyno. I wasn't to concerned about the HP but I wanted to know if it was going to leak anywhere before I installed it. I had only had it running for about 2 minutes before I pulled it. When we cranked it on the dyno it had 60 pounds of oil pressure and 45 pounds when it got hot. It seemed real tight and had a wopping 260 HP at 5000 RPM. At 3000 RPM it pulled 350 foot pounds of torque. It's a 4 bolt main with a 010 block so I think I'll have a good motor. I'm going to use a 5 speed trans with a 308 rearend so my mileage should be pretty good (I hope).
IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Here is where my friends roots are. This is him on the roof.
IMG_1664.jpg

Here are 4 deuces going back on a 65 Shelby 350 that he is working on. The jets and gaskets for rebuild were $650.
IMG_1663.jpg

Hey Keith, It's coming along kinda slow. I bought a rearend out of a 71 Chevelle and I think it will be the right width. I spent a long time cutting the brackets off it and now I have to cut the spring perches off the S10 rearend to weld back on the Chevelle rearend. I'm not that good with the torch and have been trying to cut them off with a cutting wheel. I'm hoping to get the new rearend under it tomorrow and see if the bed will fit between the wheels. I also need to cut the peddles out of the S10 and get the motor mounts out of it. I don't think I'm going to use the bags or the 4 link so they will go on Craigslist as soon as I get all the stuff off that I want. I may also try to find some paint tomorrow and expermint with the top. Of course if Rob calls and wants to go riding I'll probably work on the truck next week. HB

Latest posts

Back