Steel prices are increasing dramatically

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

My Son Dan is getting back on his '29 and ordered a stick (20 feet) of 2 1/4 OD DOM tubing this week. He is going to use it for some crossmembers. It came to just over $ 200. :eek: This same tubing was in the $ 130 range just a few months ago.

Steel prices seem to be high even when you scrap something now you get good money for it. I hauled a pickup load of cut offs and other junk to the scrap yard a while back and got $ 55 for it, which I thought was great.

Wonder what is creating the rapid increase?

Don

I use a lot of steel, and it has been only going up for the last 3 years or so, at a steady rate. Lately the fuel cost are what my suppliers are using as an excuse to raise prices. I also use a lot of copper. It has doubled in the last 2 years. I heard at one point that so much steel was going to China and some of the other booming countries that demand made our steel prices shoot up....

I was hopeing not to hear that for a while.I need to get a bunch of steel here pretty shortly to start on this car.I had a funny feeling that with the economy being the in the fall that this might happen.

Yea I agree our scrap price is highest its ever been, 160/ton. I hauled 9200lb worth of old Ambulance the other day, it was a good 2hr worth of work :D

I have been hearing its for the Large Dam being built in China.

Heres a tip, if you need some steel, shorter stuff usualy under 10ft, go ask for the 'drop pile' at the steel yard. They will usualy give it to you for the scrap price (or less) if you buy a length of something. I usualy walk out with 1/4 of a Pickup bed, for $30-40. Square tube, plate, HRS, CRS, etc.

Heres a tip, if you need some steel, shorter stuff usualy under 10ft, go ask for the 'drop pile' at the steel yard. They will usualy give it to you for the scrap price (or less) if you buy a length of something. I usualy walk out with 1/4 of a Pickup bed, for $30-40. Square tube, plate, HRS, CRS, etc.

I do this too sometimes if I need some smaller pieces.

The prices are getting so high that sometimes it's just cheaper to buy some premade parts instead of fabbing them yourself.

Latest posts

Back