steering box options? share your pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorman

I am working on steering for my 36 Diamond T meets 78 Dodge motorhome. I have the original power steering box from the motorhome but it is HUGE. I would still like to use it, but I'm not sure about how to make it work.

I am thinking of putting it in the cab and doing cowl steering, with the pitman arm extended out of the cowl. I'm figuring I'd have to have a machinist help me with the attachment for the extension. ? not sure how to set it all up.

I'm thinking of using a manual steering box instead. Any suggestions on a box that would be relatively cheap and easy to set up?? What boxes have you used?
I'm looking at a GM Saginaw 525 or Reversed corvair? or Vega?
Would the vega be strong enough?

What steering columns do you use? do you shorten your own?
I'm trying to keep costs down. It would be easy to go to Gas Alley Street Rods and spend $1000+ on this, but I'd rather not.:eek:

sorry about the bad pics, not sure if they help, or confuse the issue[S

Attachments

• P1100003.JPG
    P1100003.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 89
  • P1100006.JPG
    P1100006.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1100004.JPG
    P1100004.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 73
  • P1100002.JPG
    P1100002.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 68
I found the perfect gear box for me, but not sure it would do it for you. I used a 72 Datsun steering box. But, it is very much like the Mitsubishi Mighty Max and Raider boxes. Bith are manual steering and very compact. On all of these, you can reposition the pitman arm by simply using a die grinder on 4 of the splines so that you can reposition the arm to suit you.Hope that helps.

You need to think about how much is the truck going to weigh? Corvairs were rear engine and probably did not have 1000 lbs on the front wheels and that was the weight that box was designed for. Vegas were front engine but the engine was mostly aluminum so not much weight on the front end either. Cheap and strong would be the box you already have. I'd play it safe and just use what ya got.

can I mount the pitman arm up? Otherwise I'll have to reverse the gear in the box? I think it will fit, but will it work properly??[S[S

i HAVE THE PITMAN ARM UP ON MINE. IT IS MOUNTED SO THAT THE STEERING ARM IS FAIRLY LEVEL. NOT SURE HOW FAR UP YOU CAN GO THOUGH.

Your box looks very similar to my Toyota box. It is what I run on my 56 F100. The box is from Toyota 4WD pickup 1984 thru 1986 and some 87s. It is power and works great. Let me find some pictures and specific info and I'll get back to you soon. Hope that's ok.

Lynn

reversal

Your box looks very similar to my Toyota box. It is what I run on my 56 F100. The box is from Toyota 4WD pickup 1984 thru 1986 and some 87s. It is power and works great. Let me find some pictures and specific info and I'll get back to you soon. Hope that's ok.

Lynn

Lynn,
thanks for the info. I would appreciate any pics you can come up with.
I have looked at your build thread, I love the COE you're building.

I tore open the steering box from the 78 Dodge motorhome, and I'm working on reversing it. I think I'll have to have a couple things machined for it, I don't want to try to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole, and figure out a seal. So I'm working on finding a local machinist to help me out with it. I need some help extending the pitman arm out while we're at it.
so far, it looks do-able. but I'm having trouble getting a pressed in cap off the end, it's got a round spring loaded holder in and I can't figure out how to pop that out. I'll snap some pics to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• P1100007.JPG
    P1100007.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1100008.JPG
    P1100008.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1100009.JPG
    P1100009.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1100010.JPG
    P1100010.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1100012.JPG
    P1100012.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P1100011.JPG
    P1100011.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 24
Meteorman, I hope you can enlarge this enough to see it. Don't know if it'll work for you but maybe..... Just an option.

Lynn

Attachments

• Toyota Box 001.jpg
    Toyota Box 001.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 50
Rebuild

Hey Meteorman.....try this. Go to your local parts store and ask if they can send your box off to A-1 Cardone for a rebuild. I worked in commercial parts sales and we coulld send anything to them and they would rebuild it....7-10 days. If they can't, try another parts store. Somebody can!

BTW, they rebuild water pumps, power racks, ps pumps, etc....almost anything. Cause you can't get one, ain't no reason to throw it away and try to make sumthin else work.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back