Steering column puzzle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhynorock

I'm having a hard time doing the math on how to set up my steering column inside the cab. I'll be using the stock steering setup from an S-10, running a length of 3/4 DD shaft from the cab to the box and attaching a steering wheel at the other end. The problem is coming up with a way to secure the column inside.

I was thinking of using a piece of straight exhaust pipe, and tack welding a wheel bearing with a 3/4" inside diameter to the inside of the exhaust piping, feeding the DD shaft thru that, then securing it to the under side of my dash.

Any better ideas anyone? Pictures of your steering setups would be helpful.

I am using the stock S-10 steering column. The final solution was to use the short intermediate shaft from an Astro van (the kind with two u-joints and no rag joing). Pull it apart and extend it with pieces of the D tube and shaft from the original S-10 intermediate. The slight out of phase condition of the Astro van shaft compensated perfectly for the ofset from the firewall out to the steering. Slips through the S-10 V8 headers just right too. It took a while to sort out, but if does not bind at all now.
I couldn't get the pictures off my phone. Will have to get out there with a real camers.

Latest posts

Back