stovebolt 6 mods?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is lots of stuff for Chevy six. Check http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/. The boss will talk your ear off and tell you anything you want to know about a Chevy six. He is a retired GM engineer.
Speedway has goodies as well. So does Summit, Cliffords and most other major sources. Most anything you want is available. Inliners International has lots of info also.
Which engine are you working on? I have a 261 I am messing with.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...8&rlz=1T4GZAB_enUS472US472&q=stovebolt+forums

Higher compression ratios, ported heads, intakes, exhaust, cams. Most anything you can do to a V8 can be done to a 6.

018-4.jpg

thanks-i think its a 235. its in a 64 chevy c20. im a highschool kid. i found this truck and i am still researching, but i have the money aside to buy it

thanks-mike

this is a good resource http://www.cliffordperformance.net/
Keep in mind that building a inline 6 isn't going to be cheaper because it's a six cylinder. The small block chevy is probably the cheapest engine to build. That being said, I would encourage you to build the 235 inline. If it's a good running engine, you can add a dual or triple carb intake and headers for a reasonable price. Here's another resource http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-235-chevy.html?page=GRID

Both the links I gave you will give you a good idea of cost. Check eBay too, you will find alot of good used stuff there and some of it goes for cheap. Make sure you use -tire -tires -wheel -wheels in your search or you'll get thousands of items. 235 is a common tire size.

It could also be a 292. You can tell by the side covers on the passenger side of the engine. On the 292 they are quite tall compared to the 235 family.

If it's a '64 then it's not a 235... if the distributor is forward of centerline then it's a third generation L6. The next clue is what cycledog has pointed out. 292's are taller than a 250 (both third gen L6's) and most likely found in a truck.

235s were not made after 1962. Actually , some info says that 235s were used in early 63 trucks, but I've been in the parts business for almost 40 years and have never seen a 63 with a 235. The 230/250/292 engines replaced the 216/235/261 design. Nothing that I know of interchanges between the two designs.I love the 235s and 261s. I have a 54 235 in my 40 Chevy sedan.
One advantage of the later 230/250/292 engines is that they have the same bolt pattern or the rear of the block as a Chevy v8 , so any bellhousing or automatic trans that fits a v8 also fits them.
Actually, I just remembered that early Chevy IIs had a 194 cubic inch engine that looks like the 230/250/292s. Oh, the 292s were truck engines and the block is about an inch taller than a 194/230/250. The side cover on the engine is taller than the others. Don't hesitate to use an inline six. They're neat and fun to "work on".[cl

A 292 has the distributor close to the front of the engine, on the 230 and 250 it's centered.
Trucks didn't use the 230 or the smaller ones, so you will have either a 250 or a 292. Either one is a good engine in a pickup, especially with some hop up stuff.

No, the distributor is "offset" toward the front on all 194,230,250, and 292 engines.The 216,235, and 261 engines have the distributor farther back , in the middle of the engines.A lot of people don't know about the 261s. They were only used in big trucks, like 2 tons and bigger in the USA. I've heard that 292s were used in Pontiacs produced in Canada.Thanks.

No, the distributor is "offset" toward the front on all 194,230,250, and 292 engines.The 216,235, and 261 engines have the distributor farther back , in the middle of the engines.A lot of people don't know about the 261s. They were only used in big trucks, like 2 tons and bigger in the USA. I've heard that 292s were used in Pontiacs produced in Canada.Thanks.

The nice thing about the 261 is that it is the exact same outside dimensions as a 235. So you can put one in anything a 235 will fit.
You can tell a 261 by the ginormous oil filter lines and there are "captains bars" on the rear side of the block on the passenger side.

I have a 61 1ton factory 4x pickup with a 261 which will go in my next project.

Sorry, the dist. is in the same spot on all the newer sixes like thom sez.
The Canadian Pontiacs had 261's in them, but without the full flow filter setup that GMC's had. I have several of them in a shed, awaiting projects....

BTW, the passenger side motor mount is in a different place on the 292's. I knew there was a difference there somewhere! Other than the taller block and side covers.

One sure way to tell which family of Chev six you're looking at is the side cover on the block. All the 216/235/261 engines have one long cover that runs the length of the block , while the 194/230/250/292s have two seperate covers. Ever notice that most gasket sets for the later engines have 4 side cover gaskets? That's so the set can service 230s,250s, and the taller 292 engine. Some of the early 216 and 235 engines have a side cover that covers the side of the head as well as the block. The sparkplugs go through holes in the cover. I would leave these early babbit bearing engines to the restorers that need a "correct' numbers matching engine.The 216/235/261 engines have a date code cast into the block just above the starter. The engine in my '40 sedan is dated H 8 3 , which means the block was cast on August 3 1953, and came in a '54 half-ton truck.I love an inline six engine.:D
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/006-5.jpg[/IM
[IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/007-2.jpg
My engine is stock internally with some chrome on the outside.

By the way... a 54-62 235 or 261 can be made to look like an earlier engine by swapping the valve cover. The valve cover on a 54-62 engine is held on by two bolts on each side. The earlier covers had only two bolts, actually studs and nuts, in the center of the cover. It's an easy swap.;)

well now i found a 61 chevy apache, last one fell through.

ok i have found alot of stuff out there, thanks for all your help.

which is better for performance 3 singles, 2 dbl brl, or one 4 brl carb set up?[S

Latest posts

Back