street legal jalopy/vintage fenderless oval race car 1940lSH MOPAR tribute to DAD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unintended

the law of unintended consequences got me, the wheels that are designed for circle track cars have to have longer wheel studs. the stock one do not let the stud stick thru far enough. l am afraid of snapping them off and the race track will not let out there with out the studs sticking thru a little bit. the front has 5/8 X 3 inch and stick out a lot.

in the pics of the rear wheels it shows how shallow they are VS the front wheel.

l found some from summit that are 3'' long, l ordered them and they will be here next week.

ya fix one thing and two pop up,--- gotta love working on hot rods:rolleyes:

Later :cool:

Attachments

• wheel5.jpg
    wheel5.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 22
  • wheel studs.jpg
    wheel studs.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wheel studs1.jpg
    wheel studs1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wheel3.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 23
  • wheel6.jpg
    wheel6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 22
the law of unintended consequences got me, the wheels that are designed for circle track cars have to have longer wheel studs. the stock one do not let the stud stick thru far enough. l am afraid of snapping them off and the race track will not let out there with out the studs sticking thru a little bit. the front has 5/8 X 3 inch and stick out a lot.

in the pics of the rear wheels it shows how shallow they are VS the front wheel.

l found some from summit that are 3'' long, l ordered them and they will be here next week.

Wheels seem to give me more grief than any other feature. On the current project the center bores on the stock stock wheels are too small for the hubs and the axles. I have a set of wheels that didn't clear the calipers on the 3100, the Cragar SS wheels on the 3100 had welds that interfered with the rear brake drums. At any rate, a new set of studs is probably one of the cheaper, easier fixes.

radiator

got the radiator back in, top hose went in pretty easy with a little "customizing" to the length and l had to put in a spring that helps hold the shape.

the bottom one is going to be a little more of a challenge, tight space to work in and a funny angle.

Attachments

• DSC02520.jpg
    DSC02520.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02522.jpg
    DSC02522.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02523.jpg
    DSC02523.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02524.jpg
    DSC02524.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02525.jpg
    DSC02525.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
new stuff

the seven will be painted by the man who did the 3OlSH lettering.

Gotcha drew up a half dozen for me, l liked the looks of this one with the rings and tear-drop style best so l had him put it on a sheet by it's self, l decided were putting this one on the car.

the center will be a solid color with the rings a different color to offset the center & make it pop.

when l asked him what colors, he said just wait and see, but l guarantee you'll like it. after the 3OlSH and the mail box, l guess l will trust his judgement:D

Attachments

• DSC02539.jpg
    DSC02539.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02541.jpg
    DSC02541.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02538.jpg
    DSC02538.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02542.jpg
    DSC02542.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02543.jpg
    DSC02543.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
fuel tank mods

the big hole in the fuel cell makes it hard to fill up at a standard pump with the collar you have to push back to get fuel flow.

in 0regon with there you can't pump you're own gas laws makes it a pain to fill the tank. when l picked up the car outside Portland l stopped to gas up the truck and the race car both at the same time. l was going to fill it so l didn't have to try and dump gas in it at home, several stations refused to put in fuel because of the way the pump head had to be manipulated to flow.

so today l fixed that issue by trimming a standard neck and adapted it to the inside of the big fill hole. l made it so the regular fuel cell cap fits and from the outside the tank looks un-modified.

old inner-tube made great gaskets for this.

Attachments

• DSC02548.jpg
    DSC02548.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02550.jpg
    DSC02550.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02551.jpg
    DSC02551.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02554.jpg
    DSC02554.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02557.jpg
    DSC02557.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02560.jpg
    DSC02560.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02558.jpg
    DSC02558.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02555.jpg
    DSC02555.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02559.jpg
    DSC02559.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
neck l started with out of a old truck gas tank.

Attachments

• DSC02544.jpg
    DSC02544.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02545.jpg
    DSC02545.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02546.jpg
    DSC02546.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14

You will be much happier with wheels that don't fall off of the car. :D

studs

You will be much happier with wheels that don't fall off of the car. :D

the studs showed up so they'll be on the car soon:D

l hope that fix's the tire/wheel fall off problem:eek:

Attachments

• DSC02563.jpg
    DSC02563.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02565.jpg
    DSC02565.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
the studs showed up so they'll be on the car soon:D

l hope that fix's the tire/wheel fall off problem:eek:

I want to get some just because they look cool with old school mags. That calls for the open ended lug nuts, too. Major bucks. :mad:

[clDon't know how I missed the fuel cell filler neck re-bop. That is a great idea. I just might have to borrow it. Funny how little things like that make a difference.

For the record, here in Oregon if your tank filler hole is inside the car, or bed, they can not pump your gas. They have to turn the job over to you. Good reason to keep it inside. :rolleyes:

That's crazy! In AL, I doubt you could even find anybody that still pumps gas for you.

Good job on the fuel fill Skull. You'll be driving in no time! [cl

ballin'

0K people, this is scary so hold on, the right front bottom ball joint was so loose and worn out it was hanging a 1/2 inch out of the bottom A-arm and when l took the nut off it fell out:eek:

driver side ain't much better.

again, don't the organizing race tracks that host racing vehicles tech these things? when l raced l was vigilant with maintaining parts and safety checks all the time on every car we raced over the years.

these problems l found on this car are the reason l go over every thing with a careful eye and fix it when l get/buy/aquire anyones vehicle.

l got new bottom ball joints for both sides & top A arms had new ones with them.

one nice thing, the drag link, tie rod ends and steering arm in great shape.

Attachments

• DSC02572.jpg
    DSC02572.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02573.jpg
    DSC02573.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02574.jpg
    DSC02574.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
lower

wow, at parts geek l can get 2 new lower a arms for 81 bucks apiece with new bushings, ball joints and only 9 bucks to ship.

that is really cheap, l am gonna get these, good price and everything l need and clean so l don't have to[cl

Attachments

• a arms.JPG
    a arms.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 8
That's crazy! In AL, I doubt you could even find anybody that still pumps gas for you.

we have one place that still does it ,, we had two till last year ,, one retired and no one took over his station ,, the women love it ,, and the men that work in the offices or just going some place and dont want the gas smell on there hands go there , I think hes only about 2 cents hire than the rest ..
And skull you just give me a lot more gas tanks to choose from Now that you have shown me that trick ,, thanks

:rolleyes:

Out here in Oregon, only people with gas tanks inside their rig get to pump their own gas. The normal cars get it pumped by an attendant. Often a pimple-faced kid that doesn't know what a real car is. :D Oh well, keeps them employed, I guess. It did take some getting used to when I first moved here.

I just realized I said this twice in one thread. :rolleyes:

darn it all

some times the best laid plans fizzle:(

the axles are so hard l can't drill them in the rearend, it needs cutting oil streamed to it to keep from burning up drill bits.

so, new plan, put the ones in that are out of the old rearend and already done.

l figured if l had to pull them out to drill l might as well use the ones already made up and done, just plug and play.

l like the ford/mopar idea where you don't take the rear cover off. GM's are a pain.

Attachments

• DSC02578.jpg
    DSC02578.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02579.jpg
    DSC02579.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02567.jpg
    DSC02567.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02575.jpg
    DSC02575.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02576.jpg
    DSC02576.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02577.jpg
    DSC02577.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
drive shaft

drive shaft is done...cute little thing, about 35 inches long.

new u-joints and balanced.

the U-Joint in centralia does a great job and reasonable prices.

Attachments

• DSC02582.jpg
    DSC02582.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC02584.jpg
    DSC02584.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC02585.jpg
    DSC02585.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts