subfloors

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubya

I have seen several builds on here with amazing subfloors built underneath the floorpans. Some of them put some frames i've seen to shame. I was wondering if a subfloor is necessary, could you just go with a slightly heavier gauge metal for the floorpan?

it depends on what kind of car you are building. say if you are building a steel t roadster you can build a floor out of 16 gauge and roll some beads, with one or two sub frame rails where the body mounts are, i have seen and worked on some that dont even have sub frames in them and they are fine, i just like the extra reassurance. truck cabs are about the same. but on a sedan, coupe or later model full size a floor skeleton is a must in my book if you are cutting it all out for a channel or a custom floor. if you are just replacing floor pans just leave the original sub braces in and you will be fine

hope that helps

Hey thanks for the advice. It's actually a shortened two door heavily channeled. I also am thinking of not flooring the trunk area and just filling it with fuel tank, battery etc.
May just use sheet metal w/out the subfloor. I think the tranny and driveline tunnel would stiffen it considerably.

Latest posts

Back