The 60's!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
The 60's were an awesome decade & like they say... if u remember it... u weren't there! :D While rootin' around Spring cleanin' I found some early 60's Car Craft magazines. What was popular?!?!

1) Customs!!! Customs were HOT, HOT, HOT... in the mags at least! I'll scan some later.

2) Go-carts!!! There was plenty of coverage of carts & cart racing! I'll scan some kool cart ads & post them later!!!

3) Models!!! Wow... I loved models & built plenty. There were lots of custom models & an article about channelin' models!

There was also a kool article on the "new" 327 & hot roddin' it!

Those were the daze!!!

magazines

if i would havr read as many school books as rod magazines in school I wouls have been a B student instead of a drop out:mad:
used to put my rod mags inside my school books and read them:D

sure wished I had kept some of the old hot rod and stuff , the little books they had, mighty tiny rag:rolleyes:

Fire up the scanner Bob. Let's see some 60's stuff. I used to hide the rod mags in my school books too. When I wasn't reading them, I was drawing cars when I was supposed to be doing school work. Looking back on it, I can't believe even I passed.

I like the 60s car craft, they had bikes and always the modlers corner. During the go cart craze they always had carts. I had a huge stack I read and re-read. But by the time they got into the early 70s it was a different deal. Lots of paisley and Psycodelic in the ads, disco clothes and those hideous vans. I'm really glad for mind numbing drugs when I see what the 70s were. Best forgotten.

Hideous vans??? I always wanted a custom van [mostly to do a big wild airbrush job on] wish someone had one that they wanted done !!
All this talken, whers the picture,pictures,pictures???

Back in the 60's, I couldn't afford to buy magazines. However, I grew up in East L.A. and it was the Imperial Car Club that ruled. Lowriders..........Couple of guys in High School had 55' Chevys. I had a 55' Nomad with a 283 and 4 speed and 5 spoke American Mags. Paid $500 for it........

Car Craft mag

Here's the cover of CC Dec '64. Garlits, Color Me Gone & How To Build A Hot Rod! Pretty interesting stuff!!!

BoB

Attachments

• cc64.jpg
    cc64.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
Carts, models & customs!

Car Craft July '62... carts, models & customs!!! :D

BoB

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
  • cartmotors.jpg
    cartmotors.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • models.jpg
    models.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 12
  • customs.jpg
    customs.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
Ah, the 1960's !!! :D One of the favorite periods of my life. Toward the end of the decade things started to get a little goofy, but the first half of the decade was pretty cool.

It's funny when I hear that all of you put little books inside your school books too. No matter where we are all from we are really not all that different from one another. We all had those hidden in our school books and a Playboy or two hidden under our mattress. :p (It had such interesting ARTICLES :rolleyes:)

It was also a time when hot rodding old cars came to a screeching halt for the most part. It didn't make sense to slave over a pile of parts that broke down all the time when for less than a $ 100 a month you could go to the local dealer and buy a new GTO, or Chevelle, etc. The new car came with a warranty, out ran anything we could build, was a chick magnet, and you didn't even have to get dirty. Even a hardcore roadster guy like me threw in the towel and went through a couple of GTO's, Pontiacs, and other new cars. My Girlfriends didn't mind riding in the new car, but always complained when riding in one of my old cars.

I'm like you Trip, I have been going through all of my old magazines lately doing research to show Dan what custom shoeboxes were like, and it is a real trip down memory lane. Things were just so simple back then and we didn't know how good we had it.

BTW, does anyone remember those static straps that we used to hang from the frame of a car so it touched the ground ? You never see those any more, but I just remembered them when I got out of my car the other night and got shocked from static electricity. :D

Don

Feelers!

BTW, does anyone remember those static straps that we used to hang from the frame of a car so it touched the ground ? You never see those any more, but I just remembered them when I got out of my car the other night and got shocked from static electricity. :D

Don,
Yeah... my buddy had some. I'm workin' on my '57 Ranchero that my son will soon be takin' over... it has curb feelers on it! Ever have 'um? ; - >

BoB

Not me, but my Dad had a '48 Buick Roadmaster convertible that was his pride and joy. He put curb feelers on it, front and back, because my Mom drove it sometimes and was not the world's best driver. :rolleyes: The Buick finally met it's end when she skidded sideways one rainy night and a trailer truck smacked it in the back end.:eek: The curb feelers didn't help that time. :D:D

Don

Anyone remember the old Almquist catalogs, or the ones from Honest Charlie and JC Whitney?

Here are some examples of stuff from the Almquist catalog about 1963 or 4.

Don

Attachments

• almquist 002.jpg
    almquist 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 15
  • almquist 003.jpg
    almquist 003.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back