The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on heading to Dad's afer Christmas and working on the car a little more.

I had been planning on seperate seat backs kinda like bomber seats, but I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with the bulkhead/firewall behind the seats.

I think I may go with a single seatback kinda like this.

71388_4_original.jpg

No pictures 'cause I'm on dad's dial-up, but figured I post an update.

I "raised" the engine and trans back up to where it used to be. I want the car to be flat bottomed...nothing hanging down below the floor. I'm pretty sure this will be a really low car.

I made a hole in the firewall to poke the steering column through. The extended coulmn looks like it will be just the right length.

I cut up lots more Cadillac sheetmetal trying to flesh out the front bodywork. I think I figured out how to make the track nose work...I had the Cadillac hood pointed the wrong direction! The cadillac front doorskins are now going to be the hood. ...and the Cadillac front fenders are now the cowl. I've had lots of fun.

I would have gotten farther, but had to help dad on a project.

I cut up lots more Cadillac sheetmetal trying to flesh out the front bodywork. I think I figured out how to make the track nose work...I had the Cadillac hood pointed the wrong direction! The cadillac front doorskins are now going to be the hood. ...and the Cadillac front fenders are now the cowl. I've had lots of fun.

Waiting on pics of this...[P

I've taken lots of pics for a visual update when I get back home.

Another day of a whole lotta mocking up sheetmetal....

The "fender cowl" got replaced today with a combination of the red XJS jaguar roof from last year and Cadillac rear door sheetmetal. The XJS roof fits the framework SO GOOD!!! I forgot how well the curves matched

Also, the hood from a VW fastback has become hood sides.

With body work on it, this car looks long and sleek....for good reason....this little car is 14 feet long!!!!

i have the same "issues" on my projects...;)

but i try to remind myself of all the "projects" dad set to the side to raise me:eek:

not trying to be rude-just me thinking out loud..:rolleyes:

anticipating pics ...[P

Not fussing, just laying groundwork as to why I wasn't terribly productive.

After 350,000 miles, the o-ring that goes between the oil pump and block on his toyota 4x4, finally dried up and cracked causing an oil leak. Swapping that out wasn't all that big of a deal. The fun was figuring it out why it wouldn't run when we put it back together. Turns out that he unscrewed something on the mass air sensor that he shouldn't have while tearing stuff down. It was the first time I had torn into one, but I figured it out and put it back the way it should have been. It runs fine now.

Last edited:
The big project for today was beefing up the harbor fright bead roller so that it will actually roll beads. Mission accomplished. It's fun to screw up sheetmetal!

I felt I had to get that sorted out before I do the visible interior sheetmetal panels in the interior (like the bulkhead under the seat).

Where I started this trip. I decided the drivetrain needed to be tucked up inside the car. I pulled out thje 1.5" spacers that were under the frame.
IMG_0027-2.jpg

IMG_0029-3.jpg

I went ahead and mocked up the single chamber flowmaster where it would fit under the hood.

IMG_0034-2.jpg

IMG_0036-1.jpg

I made a hole in the firewall for the steering column
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0044-2.jpg

this neat little piece from the jag donor still fits
IMG_0046.jpg

going from the column to the rack looks like it will be easy
IMG_0043-2.jpg

It feels right
IMG_0042-1.jpg

I decided that I really needed to know the body shape before I could mount the brake pedals (one of the things I needed to finalize the seat design)

Time for the "real mock-up". I tried the cadillac track nose again...this time I turned the hood around. The lower edge of the hood points toward the cowl now. A front door skin is now the hood. a piece of the rear door skin is the cowl.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0054-1.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

The grill looked like it would work.

IMG_0057-1.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Also, decided to find a use for the fenders
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

decided to try and use more of the fender. The wheel opening is now the door opening.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

The car is 14 feet long! It is starting to look fast.
IMG_0076.jpg

I wasn't happy with the fender top as a cowl. The transition from hood to cowl to body didn't flow good enough. I went back to the rear door piece.

fender
IMG_0076.jpg

door
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I raised the door opening
IMG_0083.jpg

insert motor noises
IMG_0086.jpg

The curves all line up
IMG_0089.jpg

Time to cut down the rear door piece to eliminate the overlap
IMG_0090.jpg

tacked to the hood (door)
IMG_0093-1.jpg

IMG_0093-1.jpg

IMG_0096-1.jpg

The fender looks good in pics, but the contour under the chrome would be a pain to deal with and it really didn't match the curve of the chassis. Bring back the 1979 jaguar XJS roof
IMG_0099-1.jpg

IMG_0101-1.jpg

IMG_0100-1.jpg

It needs hood sides. VW squareback hood to the rescue

IMG_0105-1.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0108-1.jpg

IMG_0109-1.jpg

This thing still is a movie set prop
IMG_0115-1.jpg

side re-positioned
IMG_0120-1.jpg

IMG_0128-1.jpg

IMG_0127-1.jpg

IMG_0114-1.jpg

it's got room under the hood even with the raised motor position
IMG_0123-1.jpg

Before I could go any farther with sheetmetal work, I needed to beef up my horrible fright bead roller.

IMG_0124-1.jpg

junk from the pile
IMG_0125-1.jpg

welded on
IMG_0142.jpg

It works!
IMG_0143.jpg

Somehow I had offset the trans too far to the passenger side.
IMG_0149-2.jpg

the tunnel was too tight anyways, so I removed 1 inch.
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151-1.jpg

IMG_0152-2.jpg

34 olds? dash insert looks cool upside down and looks like it might work
IMG_0148-1.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

more mock-up pics
IMG_0154-3.jpg

IMG_0157-2.jpg

IMG_0159-1.jpg

making plans for the body side of the trans mount
IMG_0165-3.jpg