Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our sweet Annette has been living with and battling
MS for several years. In 1992 she announced that she
had been struggling with this muscular diesease for
several years. She is still haning in there and is a major
spokesperson for MS and related diseases. Her pal Frankie
Avalon has been there for her since day one and I pray
that she will continue to be the force behind support and
fund raising for those type of diseases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBCnmOHzB0

I just saw Annette on TV a few days ago and I really felt so bad for her. You can tell she isn't well, and I think it also reminds us that we aren't the teenagers we once were when we see our childhood idols aging. Even Dick Clark isn't as ageless as he once was, so what hope do we mear mortals have? :eek:

Don

The Howdy Doody show!
77 SUNSET STRIP - Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb!
Davy Crockett
Wanted Dead or Alive
The Donna Reed show
Have Gun, Will Travel
The Lone Ranger
Leave It To Beaver
The Ozzie & Harriet Show
Where The Action is
My Favorite Martian
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Amos & Andy
The Little Rascals
Abbot & Costello
The Cisco Kid
Circus Boy
Mr Peepers
Lost In Space
The Thin Man
Peter Gunn
Sky King
Lassie
Roy Rogers
Topper
Dobie Gillis
Gilligan's Island - I was in love with Mary Ann!
Broken Arrow
Dragnet
Zorro
Rocky & Bullwinkle
The Three Stooges - Still my favorite!

Ok, ok, I was a latch key kid & watched a lot of TV! Now I drink beer & watch TV! :eek:

Beercan

Remember Bob Denver BEFORE Gilligan's Island? The Dobie Gillis show. He was Maynard Krebs, local beatnik. Also lets don't forget I Dream of Jeanie. There was a couple things about that show I really liked too.
Route 66
Mighty Mouse
The Ted Mack hour
10 cent comics
penny candy
$1.25 AMT 3 in 1 models

1983, I went to a coffee shop to pick up my girlfriend. She had just gotten work at a dress shop in Encino, Ca. As I was explaining to her the reason I was late, I glanced at the next booth and there was Annette with her 2 kids. She was in a purple cocktail dress with a plunging neckline and open toed stilettos. I blurted out, "Oh my God, it's Annette!". I will remember that moment for the rest of my life.

Remember when Mattel made the best toys EVER. A Colt .45 that shot plastic bullets. I also had the snub nosed .38 and shoulder holster.

Anyone ever make their own shoe shine box and charge either 5 or 10 cents for a shoe shine?

My Dad, who was a truck driver, had a friend, also a truck driver. His name was Jim Dandy. He was a former boxer who was also punch drunk which mad it very hard to understand him when he told a story. One day, Jim was in a bar when a shoe shine boy walked in. He went up to a table where a few guys were gambling (cards) and asked if anyone wanted a shoe shine. One of the guys pushed the kid, knocking him down and told him to get lost. Jim, who was a VERY scarey looking guy, got up from the bar. He walked over and picked the kid up. Jim took the kids shoe box, opened it and shoved ALL the money off the table into the shoe box. He glared and the guys and said, "Any objections?". He gave the kid the shoe box and said, "Now you go home!". Before the kid left, Jim grabbed a jacket from the coat rack and wrapped it around the kid, turned and said, "Any objections?". When the kid left, Jim went back to his drink.

Jim was a great guy, but boy was he scarey.

Metal roller skates you attached to your shoes with a leather strap and a metal clamp. You had the skate key on a string around your neck. When skating got old, took the skate and attached them to a 2X4, got a wooden box and attached it to the 2X4, made wooden handles and nailed bottle caps to the front of the box. Voila! A scooter.

Metal roller skates you attached to your shoes with a leather strap and a metal clamp.

Check :D

checkLarge.jpg

I remember waiting every year for the new Sears Roebuck catalog to come out. Here are some hot rod parts they sold in 1959:

sears001-1.jpg

sears002.jpg

sears3002.jpg

sears003.jpg

Wish I had stockpiled a bunch at these prices !!!!!! :eek:

Don

We had an Elgin outboard when I was a kid. Whopping 3 1/2 hp. You had to wrap the rope around the top. Didn't have the wrap around type that recoiled, but that thing started everytime on a couple of pulls.

I also remember the medical breakthrough of Vicks vaporub!:eek: how many of you tried to sleep after your mom rubbed that foul smelling concoction on your chest? :D

Mom's medicine cabinet. Also known as the one above the kitchen sink.

Vicks? Really effective stuff. Effectively marks you as a momma's boy when you show up at school still reeking of that snake oil.

How about Iodine and Mercurochrome? Pour some radioactive and/or toxic substance on that open wound, son. Might as well add some intense burning to that nasty scrape.

Butter on a burn? What? Are we making a sandwich, or treating an injury?

I remember getting a tablespoon full of cod-liver oil, chased with a spoonful of molasses. Why? Was this part of the tough-love program?

As long as I can remember, and until the early 80's, the local armoury used to sound the air-raid siren every day at exactly 12 noon. A practice that continued until the end of the cold war.

Last edited:
Ruth's five and dime, at the age of 4 or 5, my favorite treat was a trip to Ruth's for a grilled cheese, bottle of choc-ola and new match box car. Man those were the days.

Being dragged along grocery shopping with my Mom, and waiting for my Dad to get off work on a Friday evening.

Going "Uptown" to window shop and to see the new Dinky Toys at the local dept. store,( old age has now allowed me to collect these).

Listening to the "new" Beetles hits on a 45,at the record store on the weekend.

Waiting in line at the movie theatre on a sat afternoon to see the 3 Stoogies.

Helping my Dad remove engines and paint cars,outside,( ya, we were popular with the next door neighbors!), when I was 11.

Seeing the first Mustang drive around dizzy block in town.
Hitch hiking to the nearest drag strip when I was 12,(M & D didn't know about that)
Trying to hang out with the only car club in town,E.T. Concentraters.

Latest posts

Back