Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Motorcycles........

sears2005.jpg

Outboard motors.........

sears2006.jpg

Even cars and boats at one time.

Don

My older brother had 2 Montgomery Ward motorcycles.

My older brother had 2 Montgomery Ward motorcycles.

I had one too ! They were made by Bennelli and were actually very good bikes. They had a 125 and a 250 cc, I had the 250 and found out I wasn't cut out for motorcycles. I laid it down with a date sitting on the back, and she climbed right back on but I was scared of it from that time on till I took it back to the store. :eek: Luckily, I worked in MW credit dept and they took it back with no questions asked.

Don

I remember when the Dad went to work & the Mom stayed home with the kids because one salary was enough to keep a household going!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Watching old Popeye cartoons and believing that spinach made you stronger.

I remember that & opened a can of spinach when Mom wasn't home & tried to eat some... still not fond of it till this day!!!

BoB

I saw Hercules unchained, I was a teenage werewolf, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, etc......at the neighborhood theater. 25 cents to get in and popcorn was a nickel. We actually walked to school, theater, library and church by ourselves. Grammar school, there was a nutrition break for a carton of milk and a graham cracker. Lunch was made my your mother and you either carried it in a sack or lunch box. A sandwich, potato chips and a fruit. I actually took rice balls myself (LOL).

Remember when kids ran away from home? We were usually back by dinner. I packed some canned goods, a flashlight, my dog, and a change of clothes, and ran away when I was about 10. When the dog and I got back that afternoon my family had all the neighbors searching for us, and I got my butt whooped REAL good. :eek::eek:

Don

Thats another one, getting you're but whooped!:mad:

and if you got paddled at school (an illegal practice now)
then you got another one when you got home and
it was much worse than the school paddling:(

the last whipping I got at home was from my Mom
I was a teenager and I grabbed her wrists to keep
her from swinging and she looked me in the eye and
said "You're Hurting Me" - - those words scared me to
death and I released her wrist and stood perfectly still
and then she proceeded to walk circles around me
with a wire fly swatter it hurt my pride much more than
it hurt me - - - the fly swatter looked like a pretzel and
she threw it in the trash. Sorry bout the rambling

and if you got paddled at school (an illegal practice now)
then you got another one when you got home and
it was much worse than the school paddling:(

the last whipping I got at home was from my Mom
I was a teenager and I grabbed her wrists to keep
her from swinging and she looked me in the eye and
said "You're Hurting Me" - - those words scared me to
death and I released her wrist and stood perfectly still
and then she proceeded to walk circles around me
with a wire fly swatter it hurt my pride much more than
it hurt me - - - the fly swatter looked like a pretzel and
she threw it in the trash. Sorry bout the rambling

That made me think - yard sticks with business advertising on them - because that's what Mom used (and usually broke).

That made me think - yard sticks with business advertising on them - because that's what Mom used (and usually broke).

and that made me think too

how about balsa wood model planes with paper bodies?
did anyone else have a plane with a glow plug engine
that you started by spinning the prop with your fingers?

Yeah, some of the doper younger generation have put the kabosh on stuff like airplane glue, co2 cartridges, and spray paint. They even huff RediWhip!!

Don

I saw Hercules unchained, I was a teenage werewolf, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, etc......at the neighborhood theater. 25 cents to get in and popcorn was a nickel.

For $1 the movie theater sold a t-shirt that let u in free for the Sat matinee every week. I saw the Blob when I was about 7 or 8 & it scared the pants off me. I saw it as an adult & couldn't understand what the big deal was! I think it had Steve McQueen as the main character!

BoB

did anyone else have a plane with a glow plug engine that you started by spinning the prop with your fingers?

Built lots of them! My fav was the "Baby Tomahawk"! Stretched the silkspan & applied clear dope then paint! Also had a big Tomahawk but those big motors would really whack your fingers bad & went so fast I would get too dizzy & crash! Tripper Jr could fly better than I could & he could really fly upside-down!

BoB

I only built one model airplane with a gas engine when I was a kid. Took it out for a spin and since we had lots of trees in our yard I had to use very short strings to control it. I didn't realize when the strings are only about 6 feet long the plane makes a lap VERY quickly. It took off, and I got dizzy trying to spin fast enough to keep up with it. :eek: It crashed and I never did put it back together. :eek:

I wasn't the brightest kid on the block. :)

Don

I looked for a pic but couldnt find one, we called them "trac shoes" came in black and white or red and white were thin and light and I thought I could run superfast with them but they wore out fast (I was hard on shoes)so mom wouldnt buy them but sometime grandma would.LOL

Latest posts

Back