Thinking about moving to Oregon looking for advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevyv8-348

Hey folks as the title says my wife and I have been thinking about moving to Oregon from central California. We were thinking about somewhere in either Coos or Curry county closer to the coast. Anybody on here around from their and if so what do you think about the area you live? Is it hard or expensive to get a house or shop built? How are the schools as we plan on having kids in the near future? Any info would be appreciated as we are getting sick of Central Valley heat and drought issues. Thanks

Anywhere would be an improvement over Cali! The politics and too many people have ruined it.

The Northwest is beautiful, made a few trips though there several years ago. Never have lived there though, so I can't help you there.

The Pacific North West coast is beautiful. I love visiting there. I don't want to live there because it hates cars. Inside storage for nice cars is mandatory. All others will rust away.

Nowhere on the Oregon coast is cheap to buy. Further inland things lighten up a bit, except the Portland area, but you have to get on the east side of the Cascades for cheap. Cars last better there also. Its a desert. :D I moved form the So. Cal desert to the eastern Oregon Desert. It was much nicer, but after 15 years I got to missing the city life, and moved to Portland. Portland is the blue eye in a red state. It just has all the people (votes).

I would check on the availability of the kind of work you want to do.

Research research research. Good luck.

P.S. You get used to the rain after a couple years.

Last edited:
Well, maybe, kinda sorta ...

When I finally get to move away from this hell hole, one of the places under consideration is Oregon. Been through there many times. A friend and I used to save up our money every year and jump in either my old Chevy ('46 pickup) or his old Chevy ('49 panel!) and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway as far as half the money would go, then turn around. Good times!

I like all the rivers and mountains and trees. Beautiful country from north of San Francisco all the way into Canada. I guess once the day comes, it'll be time to jump into whatever vehicle I have left and go look for "Home." A lot is going to depend on where is affordable on limited income from SSI.

Another thing to do would be to get a diesel pickup with camper and a hauler for the Rat and take a trip around the country, visiting RRR friends and cousins I haven't seen in 40 years and such. Maybe I would write a book, or do a Youtube channel on it. Who knows. It's all Dreams at this point ...

Another day so freaking hot made things miserable. It was 103 with 24% humidity. I miss the days of sitting on the back porch watching the rain. I even use to do my wet sanding in the rain and then take the parts back in the garage to dry out. Looked at current job listings in a couple areas and looks like my wife won't have much of a problem getting a job there but me being a military generator mechanic there didn't seem to be much out there. Guess I'll have to see what other jobs have related skills to what I know. Thanks for the tips so far. The wife and I were thinking about going up for a drive to look at a few areas over the next year or two.

Latest posts

Back