TiredIronGRB's '57 Mercury Montclair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredIronGRB

Traditionalist
I've always wanted a '57 Montclair and I've been chasing this one for two and a half years. I finally closed the deal on July 4th and picked it up myself, I know I go through a lot of cars but I'm thinking I'll hang on to this one for a while.

It's lowered 3" with new springs all the way around, Granada disc brake conversion, the 312 was rebuild a few thousand miles ago. The body is very solid, Smitty mufflers and full skirts.

The guy I got it from had a four door parts car he let me strip anything I wanted from so I have replacements for everything that's rough.

DSC_0001_zps835dd561.jpg

DSC_0008_zps1d6f73a9.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsed573354.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsa15fdf8b.jpg

DSC_0005_zps5f049339.jpg

DSC_0027_zps3577dbc2.jpg

DSC_0024_zps20b41613.jpg

DSC_0017_zps678a212b.jpg

DSC_0034_zps1da94a4b.jpg

DSC_0033_zpse3c85a94.jpg

I like it, isn't there a wagon version as well?
Nice pick up for sure, and the speed parts are going to look killer in the engine bay!

You know George, I have some strange tastes in cars...the odder the better (translate as Studebaker...any number of them, and Edsel), but I think you have me beat with some of your recent toys. I love this Merc! I can't wait to see how you "spruce it up"

Hi Tired, Wow, a man after my own heart. I have one of them in the corner of my shop. I'll trade you a song and a dance and some advice for that three deuce manifold and carbs. :D:D What I found was that the ball and socket sunvisor brackets are really droopy and made of pot metal, so don't try to fix them. The 1958's had a tightening screw and anchor plate to adjust them. That might have been better. Oh, yours is top of the line so maybe it has a better setup than mine. Good choice of projects. I'll be watching.

Attachments

• Monarch front right.jpg
    Monarch front right.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 30
What I found was that the ball and socket sunvisor brackets are really droopy and made of pot metal, so don't try to fix them. The 1958's had a tightening screw and anchor plate to adjust them.

I got the visors from a '57 four door and they have pins in the center to hold them up, the clips are on the windshield garnish so I'll just drill my garnish for the clips.

I just noticed something, is that a push button automatic? I know Edsels got the push buttons in the steering wheel, never seen them on the dash except on Mopars.

Well I've been busy on the Merc...I put some new wide whites on it and made some cool hub caps from some '59 Mercury caps and some 3" bullets. Found some Offy valve covers and a Fenton tri-power.

null_zps542868b2.jpg

null_zps1d754cb9.jpg

null_zps1a0d0f5d.jpg

null_zps98dbcc88.jpg

null_zps9998db53.jpg

null_zps7125478f.jpg

null_zps239fafa8.jpg

null_zpsd99ba3fd.jpg

Latest posts

Back