Too many old trucks, not enough time

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
This needs bought, the scrappers have found the place and have been out there poking around. The only reason I didn't get it before is that it's missing a front hub. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it and then figure out a way to get it on a trailer. I envision it on a Dodge 12 valve cummins dually frame with 54-55 IH conventional farm truck front.
Darn thing is like a bad song I can't get out of my brain.

It's fugly. :D You should be able to find a hub pretty easily, lots of big trucks have the same pieces regardless of what brand they are. Look at school buses of the same model, might be the same.

Get it jacked up, pull off the excisting hub and slide a mobile home axle under it. Some chains and binders to hold the mobile home axle in place and winch her up!

OR!!! I can bring my big trailer out with my skid loader and we can spend a week getting stuff back to your place and I'll take some old tin as payment! :D

stick a wheel on the remaining hub and let it down . it should keep enough weight off it to be able to drag it on the trailer Just a thought or, sit the spindle on a 2x10 and chain it to the bumper and use it like a ski

Not many 1955 big trucks left around these parts.

Wouldn't have to be a 1955 WB. Lots of truck parts never changed for years, so a part from a 1970 might be the same as one from 1955, a IH might be the same as a Mack or Ford. Truck stuff is different than cars, only a few mfgs of it, so the same axle might be under several different trucks. You could take off the one hub that is there and match it at a good truck yard, if there are any around there. Or 21willys has a good idea with the trailer axle if you can back a trailer right up to it.

How bad do you want it? There is always a way! :D

Oh, I can figure out a way to get it. There's just been plenty of easier stuff to get so it's stayed on the back burner. I use old bumpers for skis to winch cars up with no wheels or suspension all the time. This is just a bigger game than my equipment is set up for. I could weld up a ski with a saddle so the axle sets on it.

found a few more pictures

Attachments

• dungee 030.jpg
    dungee 030.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 39
  • dungee 031.jpg
    dungee 031.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 37
  • dungee 032.jpg
    dungee 032.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 36
  • dungee 033.jpg
    dungee 033.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 35
  • dungee 034.jpg
    dungee 034.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 33
  • dungee 035.jpg
    dungee 035.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 35
  • dungee 036.jpg
    dungee 036.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 33
she looks pretty heavy... good luck... hope you grabbed the fleetside in the background of the one pic

Didn't see it anywhere. The Fleetside is still there. I don't have much interest in those, that was the junkiest cab anyone ever made, well until the early 60s Dodges came along. There is also a 59 Imperial in that row, pretty complete. Both of those belong to a guy who won't sell anything.

Yep! She's one heavy girl!!! I thought it was a single axle with out a drivetrain. I bet it's about 5 tons or better.

On a positive note, that drivetrain would be cool to use.

I found a spec that said it weighed close to 12,000. I might have to figger out a way to get the cab off out there. Rig some gin poles maybe, no farm loader would lift that high. Or maybe block the cab and roll the scrap iron out from under it.

Latest posts

Back