Took a ride in a WWII B-17 Bomber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed racer

If you guys are like me, you like old planes as much as old cars. My wife treated me to a little surprise this weekend. She paid for me to take a 30 minute ride on a B-17 while at a small airshow where a few WWII planes flew in. I had a blast and here are some pics.

This is me with my son beside the plane.

Here is the other side with some nose art.

After the plane lifted off we were free to roam the plane. This is taken from an escape hatch that was removed for us. You can see the runway as we are still climbing for altitude.

This is taken from a machine gun bubble just behind and above the pilots.

Here is an upclose look at the pilots and the instuments.

Anybody wish that they had this kind of horsepower?

rocking man i always wanted to ride a ww2 plane,, i am a big fan of the corsair,, but i would try anything i could get in to!!!! wish we had that kinda stuff round here,,, dont know what it is about alabama,, we just dont have much going on here!

Yea, it had guns and bombs installed.

In this view you can see a machine gun and the top of the ball turret.

This is the view from up in the glass nose cone where the navigator sat. Very cool to look out and dowwwwwwwwn.

i think you're one lucky guy! i've looked in one once and stood around to watch it take off...never will get to ride in one..might get addicted if i did!
had an uncle who was tailgunner in one while in the war..he was 22 yrs old....and the oldest man on his crew...

Yea Hot Rod Preacher

There were a few crew members from WWII hanging around and I always talk to them when I get a chance. One told me about a story that he got sucked out of a front window when a big hole was ripped in the plane from flack. The plane went down but he parachuted to safety only to be captured and put in a POW camp. He had a bunch of pics of his crew with him that he showed me.

The ride was a little pricey Rev Tex but it was a once in a life-time thing. Probably wouldn't have done it for myself but since it was a surprise from the wife I couldn't complain about the price. And don't let the Gastrick fool you guys, if I had planned it I would have reserved a seat for him and my dad. He will have a chance to go this weekend. Lets see if he ponies up the bucks.:eek:

014640x480os5.jpg

Those look kinda like bomber seats!

....Couldn't help myself. You have one cool wife there mister! That shot of the tail and the runway is breathtaking. It's been a while since I've been in a plane, but I could almost feel it looking at that pic. Did they let you fire off a few bursts? :p

Nice job Speedracer. Thats one heck of a ride.

As a point of intrest the transportation folks may put an end to such rides. The was or is a bill that would require any aircraft 10,000 lbs or more the operators of such air craft must submit a detailed list of passengers some time ahead of the flight.
This would be impossible for groups like the Southern Air Force or the Collings Foundation to operate.

For more on this check out the Collings Foundation web site. I haven't read the latest news letter to see the latest on this issue.

Any way you have a very nice wife to give you such a special gift. Thanks for posting.

Id love to take a ride in one of those. My dad and I got to walk around in one, and man was that a tight fit. They had the bomb doors open and that cat walk isnt anything to laugh at when the doors are open.

But i dont know which was tighter, the plane or the submarine down at mobile alabama.

That is quite an experience. Very nice pictures inside. There was a B17 here in ABQ last year and I didn't shell out the cash for a ride. I sure wished I did. That is super cool. Love the pics of the Vette with the planes. I work at the base here and they have a Mustang at the NMNG that I want get a picture of with my 68 Mustang Fastback.

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. It reminds me of your brother's car. All those rivets....
Anyway, something you will always remember.

That would be so cool! You're a lucky guy.

I used to work at the local air museum when I was young so we got to play around in the old Lancaster, Ansons, Sea Fury's, Sea Fires and such, it was great most of them still had the writing on them from the crews. I got my first flying job on DC3's and DC4's and over the years got up to the new 737's only to realize I miss the old 3's (just not the work).

Sean

Old planes....

Gentleman..Or is that simply men,I was born in the era of black outs,Tusgegee Alabama airmen and P38s 17 s and a host of other air craft in a family that had 2 Aces and never heard anything other than airplane talk except when Mr Einstein came to see Dad.Dad worked in Test flight at Middletown<Pa.You know about 3 mile Island and I know about the many well kept secrets of the genuis it took to win that sorry war.Now glamorized by the media,Hollywood and video games.I am afraid that those of you that are quick to say,I wish I lived in those times may be thankful to GOD that you were not.For in that day of rationing,Gas food and anything else all the current idiots take out in a garbage bag everyday,Times of blackouts ,stars hung in windows and people that actually knew and cared for and about each other.Yeah anyone can wish but to be in that B17 ,that darn flying fortress,at 18 or 19 and not knowing if you would ever get that Model A running you left back home in california and to wonder if Mom and pop Yeager wold miss their son if he didnt come home from OVER there,wherever that might be.Allways Remember what Smokey Yunick told me at the International garage in Daytona.ONly give em your name rank and serial number.BLESS>>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back